***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Jul 25, 2020
Winter's here. 1st surf of the season while snowing. A little too warm to stick to the beach. Waves were pretty blah but always pretty cool to surf in a snowstorm. Needed gloves today and that will probably last until April. So much extra effort to paddle w/ gloves. Shock to the system compared to Kauai last couple of weeks!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Mid morning at the local BB to unleash my inner SBD on his borrowed Flare. Quick sesh was mostly: duckdiving, closeouts, floaters, pulling in and getting shut down. Maybe fit in one fs slash. Flare felt like a toothpick under arm walking to beach but paddled fine (Tim does a good job hiding/distributing foam).
Didn’t click with outline right away. Used to more of the foam forward and sarfing off front foot. after a one or two, I got my feet right and it did what I wanted to, but the waves didn’t have much open face/shoulder for turns tho, so probably not the best test run. i could see how if I surfed BB more, it would be good boar… but don’t think i would like it as much at my usual reefs.

was plenty warm in Isurus 2mil full despite getting ice cream headache duckdiving. Friggin love these suits!

here’s a frame grab from the sarfline cam:
View attachment 142840
pic looks good am I'm lucky that I like what you sprayed on the top of my board.

I was curious too see what you thought of it as it's pretty different than what you're used to riding. Now you might understand why your punksanity felt heavy up front!

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Surfed for ~7hrs yesterday in some of the best conditions I've seen so far this winter. Caught Kammies 9am - 11am in the last bits of the NE and then went Sunset till 1pm. Out again from ~3:30pm til dark. Waves were definitely staunch, I took off too late on one and ended up pinned to the reef, had to push off with my hands to come back up. I don't think I've ever seen the point throw quite that hard, few people definitely got their personal wave of the winter contenders out there.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Paddled out with Friend #1.

Sideshore/onshore winds.

Some headhead swell, maybe overhead on the drops.

Not great, less than average too, but surfable.

Paddling out in the dark helped make the session happen.

More lefts than rights, but more 'paddle and not make it' or 'paddle and go over with it'.

Got to work 3 minutes late.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Probably would’ve passed but my buddy was suiting up as I drove by, so paddled the Varial Plasmic out to the reef. Only four of us out and it was actually more fun than it looked. Waist to stomach high wedges breaking close to shore.
i got a ton of lil fs waves with punchy drop and then a section to race, float, or pull in before it got to the sand. A couple "sets" walled up enough for a fs snap. my buddy and an older local bro left and it was just me an a newb. I kept getting lots of short waves that were just about punchy enough to keep me paddling back out. Amused myself by trying to pull into the section and mostly getting smashed. I forgot my gu energy blocks, but stayed out an hour.

Isurus 2mm is a really good suit.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
ordered a new wetsuit, last wednesday, promptly got stung by a stingray, was ready to start surfing again as my foot was feeling better this week but then Tuesday night I woke up in the middle of the night and my seemingly healed stingray puntcure was itching like a mofo, could not sleep for a couple hours it was maddening. went to work all worn out but by the end of the day my foot was sore and red around the wound. had to go to urgent care and they xrayed to make sure no stinger parts were under the skin, there weren't but put me on antibiotics and I keep soaking and squeezing the wound area. I keep looking at my new wetsuit, it looks warm. Freakin devlil fish!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
ordered a new wetsuit, last wednesday, promptly got stung by a stingray, was ready to start surfing again as my foot was feeling better this week but then Tuesday night I woke up in the middle of the night and my seemingly healed stingray puntcure was itching like a mofo, could not sleep for a couple hours it was maddening. went to work all worn out but by the end of the day my foot was sore and red around the wound. had to go to urgent care and they xrayed to make sure no stinger parts were under the skin, there weren't but put me on antibiotics and I keep soaking and squeezing the wound area. I keep looking at my new wetsuit, it looks warm. Freakin devlil fish!

They didn't suggest anti inflammatory or cortisone?

One summer I got hit twice in one week and a 3rd time later that month. The best remedy for me at the time was scaldingly hot water for hours as soon as possible. I had one that lingered for a long time. It almost seems to return as it breaks up. The soreness lasted a few weeks, the itch lasted a few months and it left a patch of swollen scarry skin for a few years in the arch of my foot.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Was a cold paddle out this morning. Well, cold for here.

A bit larger than I thought it would be, and kinda random. Made the paddle out a bit of a chore, aka shifting "channel".

Should have warmed up the paddling muscles more. Got a little bit of that feeling like throwing a baseball too hard before things are warmed up.

The first duckdive, even with the hood, was a bit of a jolt.

Anyway, beat Friend #1 outside, so already winning for the day. :p

So of course, the first wave I made was with him dropping in on me, but since it closed out on him too, I didn't need to spear him.

Made some almighty duckdives, which always is satisfying on various levels. Yay for not getting shoved inside or pulled over the falls!

Longest rides was a left but the shape was poor. Best ride was a short right with great shape...more drop and bottom turn that pretty quickly went to mush, but for a second, it was all so well executed...the positioning, the paddle, the smooth drop, the pressure on the bottom turn, the quick set up on the wall, the moment you see it stretch in front of you and the hope of a fantastic ride. And then the wave hit a deep spot and there went that.

Got minor tumble coming in through shore break and felt the tinge of ice-cream headache. Man, what happened to my youthful hot bloodedness that made me feel invulnerable-to-cold in a hooded suit?

Lots of drift during session made for a long walk back to the car, and my hands were pretty numb when I got to it.

PS

What time you go out, Woke AF? I could still see Canis Major when I paddled out.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Was a cold paddle out this morning. Well, cold for here.

A bit larger than I thought it would be, and kinda random. Made the paddle out a bit of a chore, aka shifting "channel".

Should have warmed up the paddling muscles more. Got a little bit of that feeling like throwing a baseball too hard before things are warmed up.

The first duckdive, even with the hood, was a bit of a jolt.

Anyway, beat Friend #1 outside, so already winning for the day. :p

So of course, the first wave I made was with him dropping in on me, but since it closed out on him too, I didn't need to spear him.

Made some almighty duckdives, which always is satisfying on various levels. Yay for not getting shoved inside or pulled over the falls!

Longest rides was a left but the shape was poor. Best ride was a short right with great shape...more drop and bottom turn that pretty quickly went to mush, but for a second, it was all so well executed...the positioning, the paddle, the smooth drop, the pressure on the bottom turn, the quick set up on the wall, the moment you see it stretch in front of you and the hope of a fantastic ride. And then the wave hit a deep spot and there went that.

Got minor tumble coming in through shore break and felt the tinge of ice-cream headache. Man, what happened to my youthful hot bloodedness that made me feel invulnerable-to-cold in a hooded suit?

Lots of drift during session made for a long walk back to the car, and my hands were pretty numb when I got to it.

PS

What time you go out, Woke AF? I could still see Canis Major when I paddled out.
9-12
Drift was annoying but not really bad. Hard dropping in with the out going tide and building off shores. Missed some bombs.
Off to the surgeon for pre surgery consultation ear drilling #3. The beach taking payment.:violin:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
First surf after a long work week that included stomach flu ravaging my family. Got out there for the sunset sesh. Mid-day was pumping, but the swell had come down by late afternoon, and I ran right out to nearest bar after parking rather than heading further south where it looked a couple feet bigger. Ended up finding a decent right peak and getting a couple quick high and tight pocket rides and a good wrap. Thereafter stuck on a right ledge that bent out to sea and grew into a bigger wall coming straight at it. Wonk, long lulls, and growing chill could not dampen the sublime sunset -- a neon slab of clouds smeared across the sky for miles. Got my last one in as the moonlight started reflecting off the water. Yew!