***Official 2021 Community Surf Journal***

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Surfed a different beach than usual with my buddy. Looked like junk so I figured we’d shoot the sh!t mostly but some fun peaks came through that had a nice reform inside. Had fun on the new banjo, wouldn’t say I’ve surfed It enough to make any judgements but so far feels great. My buddy has Been eyeing a more modern keel forever now I forced him to take my old banjo on loan, hoping it stokes him out like it did for me.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Small wave Dave the past couple of days. A while back for yucks, I bought a dirt cheap 6' 6" Torq fish on OfferUp, set it up as a quad with some basic AM Futures and have been having a lot of fun on it as an ersatz groveler/long board alternative when the waves are small and weak like they are right now.

But the actual best part of today was seeing half of a snapped rasta Wavestorm up on the rocks above the sand, wish I had a camera to get a shot. And the coup de grace of this morning was seeing a late 90s 4Runner boasting a large Mollusk Surf Shop sticker on the rear window with a big old hipster single fin inside, finished off by a guy driving it with a little beanie on his head, glasses, beard, and best of all, a Sherlock Holmes/grandpa pipe in his mouth. Hopeless hipster status: Achieved.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Off shift this morning and the beachbreak nearby looked fun. Already 5 people on the peak at 0700 and figured it would get more crowded, so decided to go for it. It did get more crowded, but some people were surfing the rights, and another group the lefts, and it was shifty enough that getting waves was not an issue. Caught a bunch of waves in the first 30 minutes and the swell seemed to slowly fade, along with the outgoing tide. Got a nice little barrel in front of Ocean7847 that I ended up pulling through the curtain of. Overall a chilly, clean, fun chest-headhigh occasional + morning. Good way to start the day.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Didn't have high expectations this a.m. Saw a guy in the lot who drove to the beach in his fullsuit, had it pulled down halfway, with trunks over his suit, Teva sandals, a long sleeve button-up shirt and a vest. That said it all. I found something else to do this morning.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
fun little waves on my wife's 8'6" mini log. Fun.

I let my buddy ride my son's wavestorm and it was hilarious. He's ridden a longboard one other time in his life. It was an absolute crack up.

water is fvcking cold. Chilly winter.
man i need to sack up and pull out the log. havent been in the water in a week and I live 2 minutes from the beach now.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fckered my knee last sesh of the trip. Nothing obvious just woke up next morning with it feeling pretty stiff. 3 days of driving didnt help. A little too much hind leg shreddage i reckon. Still, might go snoop around kentoland tomorrow just to fill in the blanks on my mental map. Forgot my rasta wavestorm and birkenstocks so ill have to find another way to let the locals know im part of the tribe :shaka:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Didn't have high expectations this a.m. Saw a guy in the lot who drove to the beach in his fullsuit, had it pulled down halfway, with trunks over his suit, Teva sandals, a long sleeve button-up shirt and a vest. That said it all. I found something else to do this morning.
contrary to popular beliefe, a jar of mayo and redtub eis not a surf alternative

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Dropped the kids off at school and swung by the local on the way back. No wind yet, nobody out and about waist to shoulder high. Decided to have a surf before work so went home put on the suit and grabbed the board. When I got back to the beach a nice overhead set rolled in. I was thinking maybe I should go back home and grab a more high-performance board but the Moonbeam does pretty well at head high so went with it. Got out without too much hassle and got to the top of the regular peak. First set came in smoking and had a real nice fast left the beach. So nice when the first wave of a session is a real good one! A pain to paddle out again since the water temp dropped again but soon enough got back out there. Ocean pulsed for the next 45 mins and got 5ish waves with a bunch of speed and turns. Wind started to kick onshore and started to snow so pulled the plug.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Dropped the kids off at school and swung by the local on the way back. No wind yet, nobody out and about waist to shoulder high. Decided to have a surf before work so went home put on the suit and grabbed the board. When I got back to the beach a nice overhead set rolled in. I was thinking maybe I should go back home and grab a more high-performance board but the Moonbeam does pretty well at head high so went with it. Got out without too much hassle and got to the top of the regular peak. First set came in smoking and had a real nice fast left the beach. So nice when the first wave of a session is a real good one! A pain to paddle out again since the water temp dropped again but soon enough got back out there. Ocean pulsed for the next 45 mins and got 5ish waves with a bunch of speed and turns. Wind started to kick onshore and started to snow so pulled the plug.
RIght now....id kill for snow and fast lefts

Reactions: ZeeHawk

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Surprisingly fun!

Not much size, but I found a spot that was focusing the swell and ledging pretty good on the high tide. Rode the GMM2 for the first time this winter and had some really fun drops, a couple of hits, and some smooth cutbacks.

No one else was out so it was just me and the local wildlife. Watched an otter eat breakfast a couple of feet away. Had a pod of dolphins buzz me and had an elephant seal eyeball the sh*t out of me as he slowly lurked by. Got the blood pumping a couple of times.