Obstruction of Congress

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fuckk Congress. All of them.

If I’m ever held in contempt of Congress it will be akin to a lifetime achievement award.
Shucks. I think Rafael Palmeiro only got the Barry Bonds Elk Semen Award.

With that track record, you're going to have to aim quite high.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So the powers granted to congress under the United States constitution only apply when you agree with them. Got it.
No. I think congress itself is in contempt of the american people and the constitution. Not just this current congress either. I say the same about the congress that was in session in 2016-17 and 18.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Copy/paste from Schiff's report:

At President Trump’s direction, twelve current or former Administration officials refused to testify as part of the House’s impeachment inquiry, ten of whom did so in defiance of duly authorized subpoenas: • Mick Mulvaney, Acting White House Chief of Staff
• Robert B. Blair, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the Chief of Staff
• Ambassador John Bolton, Former National Security Advisor
• John A. Eisenberg, Deputy Counsel to the President for National Security Affairs and Legal Advisor, National Security Council
• Michael Ellis, Senior Associate Counsel to the President and Deputy Legal Advisor, National Security Council
• Preston Wells Griffith, Senior Director for International Energy and Environment, National Security Council
• Dr. Charles M. Kupperman, Former Deputy Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, National Security Council
• Russell T. Vought, Acting Director, Office of Management and Budget
• Michael Duffey, Associate Director for National Security Programs, Office of Management and Budget
• Brian McCormack, Associate Director for Natural Resources, Energy, and Science, Office of Management and Budget
• T. Ulrich Brechbuhl, Counselor, Department of State
• Secretary Rick Perry, Department of Energy

These witnesses were warned that their refusal to testify “shall constitute evidence that may be used against you in a contempt proceeding” and “may be used as an adverse inference against you and the President.”

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
No. I think congress itself is in contempt of the american people and the constitution. Not just this current congress either. I say the same about the congress that was in session in 2016-17 and 18.
The Constitution grants congress broad oversight powers, that’s not even up for debate.

This Congress was elected with a mandate So they’re definitely not in contempt of anyone.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
fook those lawyers thinking they're more important than they are.

They're forgetting they're not the judicial branch.

The Stud is pretty close to Pac Bell Park
Read the Constitution. It grants congress very broad powers, so yes, these people are very important.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The Constitution grants congress broad oversight powers, that’s not even up for debate.

This Congress was elected with a mandate So they’re definitely not in contempt of anyone.
Each individual congressperson was elected in their respective districts for reasons as varied as those districts. I do recall that word went out to Dems running in 18 to stfu about impeachment because it wasn’t polling well (except in certain liberal enclaves).

Does congress have the right to impeach?

Yes. Does the executive have the right to not cooperate and take whatever penalty congress can muster?

Yes.

I don’t like paying taxes and it’s perfectly ok for me not to do so. Thing is, it’s also perfectly ok for the feds to put me in jail for that.

I don’t want to go to jail so I pay.

I’ve been saying all along that if the Dems want to impeach they should. I would have some respect for them (although I disagree) if they do it.

They still haven’t drawn up articles of impeachment though.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Each individual congressperson was elected in their respective districts for reasons as varied as those districts. I do recall that word went out to Dems running in 18 to stfu about impeachment because it wasn’t polling well (except in certain liberal enclaves).

Does congress have the right to impeach?

Yes. Does the executive have the right to not cooperate and take whatever penalty congress can muster?

Yes.

I don’t like paying taxes and it’s perfectly ok for me not to do so. Thing is, it’s also perfectly ok for the feds to put me in jail for that.

I don’t want to go to jail so I pay.

I’ve been saying all along that if the Dems want to impeach they should. I would have some respect for them (although I disagree) if they do it.

They still haven’t drawn up articles of impeachment though.
You honestly don't think Trumps conduct is impeachable?