NYC cuts $1B from $6B police budget

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Less money!

This is brilliant. Now it should be easier to attract higher quality applicants, train them better and reduce their level of stress!

All companies should adopt this brilliant new concept.

From now on we are going to cut everybody's wages in half, reduce your number of coworkers and thus enable you to increase your performance/output!

God bless America!
I’m pretty sure corporate America has been going down this path for a while, especially the last couple of months
At least the police don’t have to report profitability every quarter to their shareholders

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Less money!

This is brilliant. Now it should be easier to attract higher quality applicants, train them better and reduce their level of stress!

All companies should adopt this brilliant new concept.

From now on we are going to cut everybody's wages in half, reduce your number of coworkers and thus enable you to increase your performance/output!

God bless America!
The beatings will stop when morale improves.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
We should be happy any time any governmental organization is cutting budget
Disagree

Cutting police budget by 1/6 in the midst of rising violent crime is extremely dumb

You need a baseline level of security in order for society to function

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Disagree

Cutting police budget by 1/6 in the midst of rising violent crime is extremely dumb

While I agree with your premise, I'm sure that a police department is rife with waste and high administrative overhead like any other organization that's public or private for that matter

But then again, lets get real, I'm sure that's not what's being cut!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
NYPD has been long overdue for a shake up. But reality is this “cut” is nothing and will change nothing.

But some of you seem so sore this is NY’s future

1593619092330.jpeg

Reactions: $kully

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hopefully they get rid of the sting ray and all the other anti constitutional stuff they do.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I love it. And since the virtue signal is the thing I'm glad they're going for it full scale instead of incrementally. That way the results will set in immediately instead of gradually.

Shove it up their ass and break it off.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
While I agree with your premise, I'm sure that a police department is rife with waste and high administrative overhead like any other organization that's public or private for that matter

But then again, lets get real, I'm sure that's not what's being cut!
exactly

there's surely a lot of waste but If NYPD is forced to cut, they are going to make sure the public notices the cuts

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I like how increasing teacher pay is never an answer for the schools, but it's square one for police.
I don't think the pay has anything to do with what people are complaining about, and I don't think taking 15% out of the budget indicates to any indication that anyone thinks pay will be increased.

They're certainly not going to be able to increase training, which would be necessary if they actually wanted better responses to dynamic interactions.

I think the NYPD might drop their specialized units first, starting with targeted patrols for street violence and such. Roll their specialized investigation units for domestic violence, sexual assaults and violence against kids and terrorism and such back into their general investigations units. Maybe roll back their heavy rescue and harbor and transit policing.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In the future social scientists will compare the NYC crime rate of 2021 and 2019 and will make some kind of inferences about this decision, I'm sure.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't think the pay has anything to do with what people are complaining about, and I don't think taking 15% out of the budget indicates to any indication that anyone thinks pay will be increased.

They're certainly not going to be able to increase training, which would be necessary if they actually wanted better responses to dynamic interactions.

I think the NYPD might drop their specialized units first, starting with targeted patrols for street violence and such. Roll their specialized investigation units for domestic violence, sexual assaults and violence against kids and terrorism and such back into their general investigations units. Maybe roll back their heavy rescue and harbor and transit policing.
On the preceding page GWS thinks this is a bad idea for attracting quality applicants, and that isn't the first time a right-leaning response to "defund the police" on the erBB has been countered with "less pay; I'm sure that'll work".

But pay increases are a non-starter with the right-leaning erBBers when it comes to the teachers.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Disagree

The police aren't doing sh!t in the Bronx and haven't for 50 years; Manhattan is a tourist city full of empty deposit box luxury real estate owned by people overseas. It's the oligarch bug out shack.