NVS

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
So Aruka , would you continue doing business - making your product there - in China ?

And yes most of us will still be buying products made there - hard to avoid and very different than chosing to produce there .

Again these may not be made there but pricing makes it seem so .

I may be wrong :-(

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Supporting those who infected the world , kinda shamless being partners with them .
Maybe I'm incorrect , but it seems so -
Many people have asked you to make them and you seem to have some excuse that you cant. Many others can perhaps just too challenging for you?

And are you only going to buy Made in the USA now. Youre going to be throwing alot of things away if so. Yea, didnt think so....

Reactions: Aruka

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I hope that people that protest against boards and fins being made overseas also apply that standard to everything else they purchase. A noble cause for sure, but I don't see the logic in drawing a hard line on one product vs all the others.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I hope that people that protest against boards and fins being made overseas also apply that standard to everything else they purchase. A noble cause for sure, but I don't see the logic in drawing a hard line on one product vs all the others.
It will be interesting to see how we behave moving forward. I think people want to buy many more things made in the USA but much of it comes down to cost.

I worked for a Bike Component manufacturer and would get calls asking "is this made in the USA". The answer was no and reply was bummer I would buy them if so. Not so quick as the cost of said item would be 3-5+ times the cost. Are we ready to pay much higher prices after this?

kdropin

OTF status
Feb 28, 2010
LI,NY/ TI,NC
i did not like the apex fins.. too stiff i guess. put back in my f6 fins and board felt so much better. i caught one wave when they felt decent it was a dredging shoulder high wave but everything else was frustrating.

Reactions: chilly1

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Well “Made in the USA” is a kind of a marketing misnomer and not really a standard. It really means that something was assembled in the USA likely made up of parts and components made overseas. People might feel good about buying a board that was glassed in US, but what about all the American labor lost from the resin, fiberglass, foam, paint, boxes, labels, etc that were likely produced overseas? That’s not to mention pads, leashes, wetsuits, sunscreen, and other accessories surfers consume. Why is that not important?

It's all very complicated. Classic example of this is autos. I myself used to be proud and fly an American flag on my Eagle. Later learned that the car was assembled in USA using parts, components, and automated machines mostly produced overseas. I used to shame my non-American car buying friends, and yes I was a hypocrite.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Well, one difference is USA made surfboards and fins actually exist. You can't draw a line between a US made smartphone and one made in China because there is no US made smartphone. Or really any electronic device.

Not only are there made in USA surfboards but a lot of them are very, very well made. I think that's great and worth supporting.

Fins are a little trickier because you have companies like Futures/FCS making some fins here but some are overseas made and they aren't as transparent about that as I think they should be. NVS are making G10 fins with Futures bases in (probably) China and as far as I am aware no one else is offering that. I wish there was an equivalent US made option that had better QC so the fins wouldn't be slicing sharp out the package. Ironically we've been bugging GG to make his G10 fins with a Futures base for years...

The offshoring of industry is a big, complicated topic that I think is well overdue for reexamination in our society. Unfortunately it's probably not going to be reconciled on this surfer magazine design forum today. Apologies for the off topic ramble.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The offshoring of industry is a big, complicated topic that I think is well overdue for reexamination in our society. Unfortunately it's probably not going to be reconciled on this surfer magazine design forum today. Apologies for the off topic ramble.
I think this is the EXACT place we will resolve this nuanced issue, so many open minded folks, we are certain to succeed.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
"those who infected the world" GTFO

They need to be angled in order to fit into the boxes.
ChaseTMP- I have a twin fish with futures boxes. Even with that notch, because you have to pull them towards the rear, it's nearly impossible to remove keels without putting a pressure mark on the spot where the back of the fin hits the board. So frustrating. Wouldn't have that issue with FCS/FCS2.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I support my local shapers because I’ve known them for decades. I know the guy they employ that cut the blank. I know the lady who sprays my boards if I want color. I know the guy that glasses my boards. I know his son even better, who cuts Arakawa’s blanks. I know the guys that rep FCS and Da Kine. I know the sales reps for the board shorts and tops I buy.

All their products most likely have components that came from China or overseas but supporting them with my measly purchases helps support them and my local community.

Don’t know the guys at NVS. But their fins are well made. Would love to get locally made fins. I know the son of the owner of Island Fin Designs and if I ever need a longboard fin I’d surely support them. Thanks for the post about Akila’s fins being made by B.C. Rudders locally. Going to ask Wade or Jeannie if they know Brian. I’ll support him on future fin purchases.,

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I like to support Surfer Labor, be it made in USA, Aussie, Hi, etc. That said i do have a box full of "infected" fins, some i like very much. Going forward i will be more mindful about my purchases and willing to spend more to support Surfer Labor. The foils on those NVS look vicious! seen a quiver shot on TK's insta, they do look sick and the price is right. It's a tough quandary. At the end of the day I'm a whore for performance, that's what matters most to me.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Like I said, I would prefer to always buy US made when the option exists.

Shaming someone for buying a set of fins from "those who infected us" is petty and lame.
Not in this current situation when non China made fins are readily available .
It can be offshore made as well just choose one of those options thats not made in China .
Spin that all you want .
How many have died due to China's actions in the last 4 months - a world event -

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
One could use the same logic with Florida.

Supporting those who infected the South and Mid-West, and North-East by not enforcing social distancing and sheltering during Spring Break. and even afterward.
Bike week was pretty questionable and made you think - the Virus was just ramping up at that time .
On my daily trail ride I often encounter people not practicing social distancing and even simple trail rules seemingly oblivous to whats going on .
Maybe its a Florida thing ? I dont know
Ive ridden trails for 30 years and have never seen this .
They are having Fun tho . Possibly just this one trail .