Now we can CNC our own fins at home. And more.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I think if someone was really inclined to illegally make a gun from scratch they'd buy the basic metal working tools and go from there.

A google image search for home made guns yields no shortage of firepower and the vast majority are made from common metal bits and pieces.

https://www.google.com/search?q=home+made+gun&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS776US776&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk8Iaak83cAhXL44MKHYcDC78Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=788

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
1. Glenn Beck LOL
2. you really can't come up with something to fill in the blank?

I can.

it's really not hard if you're not purposely being disingenuous.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Do you not see any potential hazards in regards to the 2A with the ultimate access, non traceable and other new variables that 3D printing enables? No potential bad outcomes?

Please try to avoid your copy and paste "criminals will always find a way". Try to answer the question.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
LMAO that video is as disingenuous as it gets. I haven't even seen this spun against Trump for one. The other is the spin that this is a first amendment right, which is a stretch.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
3D printed guns.

A block of plastic and a computer program. Untraceable guns! The world is going to end!!!

Any semi-competent machinist can build a gun. Especially these days with CNC technology.

I'm waiting for the Forged in Fire episode where the contestants each build a fully firing gun in 3 hours. :applause2: :cheers:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Leaverite said:
3D printed guns.

A block of plastic and a computer program. Untraceable guns! The world is going to end!!!

Any semi-competent machinist can build a gun. Especially these days with CNC technology.

I'm waiting for the Forged in Fire episode where the contestants each build a fully firing gun in 3 hours. :applause2: :cheers:
The ignorance of the coastal elite and the left-tards about guns and the things a smart person can build with a few tools and their bare hands is pretty stunning. My personal opinion is that this is a totally manufactured crisis and it is being used to set legal precedent for further eroding the rights of us subjects down the road. Left-tards are too short sighted to see that. This isn't about some ding dong printing a plastic gun in his basement then blowing his fingers off when he tries to fire it. Its about the government banning free citizens from sharing pretty basic information with each other and laying the groundwork for imprisoning people for simply publishing words, measurements, digital data or whatever it deems a threat to the state. The left accepts this because they one day dream of being at the controls of the out of control government.

By the same token do we burn these books? People have been building and modifying guns at home for hundreds of years but the left-tards are too stupid to realize it.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Its interesting too that the picture of a plastic gun that seems to be appearing most often in the media is a single shot white plastic handgun. I'm fairly certain that if I were so inclined I could build a functional, better and stronger single shot handgun out of a block of G10 composite in less time than someone could download and print and cure the gun in the picture. I would only need one tool. A drill press. For the drill press I would only need 3 different size drill bits.....one the diameter of the projectile, one the diameter of the cartridge and the third the diameter of the makeshift firing pin. The only other thing needed for the drill press would be a sanding drum and abrasives to shape it and any parts needed for the firing mechanism to the final shapes. This stuff isn't rocket science.

But we are supposed to be afraid this week of someone sending some data to someone else with the coordinates to print something out of a 3D printer. Just not buying this manufactured crisis.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The 1A argument came about in the first place because the Commerce Dept slapped a cease and desist on these guys for violating laws about exporting weapons technology. I guess the idea was that the code to run the CNC or 3D printer to build a gun was a step further towards exporting guns than a book or Youtube that shows people how to do it by hand.

As to the question of whether this is a positive or negative development, from a public safety angle it's clearly a negative - we're moving closer to readily enabling anyone who's so motivated to build their own. Even if someone doesn't have a 3D printer or they never had any intention of building their own just knowing about this development is probably going to get people to thinking about the other alternatives they've had all along but were simply hadn't been considering.

So if that genie has already been out of the bottle for a long time, these developments are shining the spotlight on it and bringing it into the public eye. That's how this controversy boils down to a discussion about curtailing the type of information and technology that people are allowed to see.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
he ignorance of the coastal elite and the left-tards...
he uses the phrases 'coastal elite' and 'left-tards' in common parlance....how unusual.

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
GDaddy said:
The 1A argument came about in the first place because the Commerce Dept slapped a cease and desist on these guys for violating laws about exporting weapons technology. I guess the idea was that the code to run the CNC or 3D printer to build a gun was a step further towards exporting guns than a book or Youtube that shows people how to do it by hand.
IIRC, it was not the Commerce Dept, but the State Department. The 1A argument comes in because this is clearly content-based speech, and the bad news for the State Department is that any content-based speech restriction automatically merits strict scrutiny:

"Content-based laws — those that target speech based on its communicative content — are presumptively unconstitutional and may be justified only if the government proves they are narrowly tailored to serve compelling state interests." Reed v. Town of Gilbert, ___ U.S. ___, 135 S.Ct. 2218, 2226, 192 L.Ed.2d 236 (2015).
I think a snowball has a better chance of enjoying a 2-week vacation in Hell than the State Dept has of winning this case. The real issue is will the beat-down be a narrow one, or will a higher court open up lots of room with a violent reaming.

The anti-2A types who fought this were very poorly advised; their best-case scenario is a per curiam loss with a minimum of verbiage, but I could easily see them losing broad areas of applicability -- their assumption that "export" automatically applies to the internet is untested, plus they operate with a public domain exception which obviously applies to the internet and a higher court could easily remind them of that, so the next time this happens, they have no authority at all.

So much wrong with the State Depts position on this; it's almost impossible to know where to start. Hack off a chunk and start chewing, I guess. Prior restraint? It's seriously endless.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
afoaf said:
he ignorance of the coastal elite and the left-tards...
he uses the phrases 'coastal elite' and 'left-tards' in common parlance....how unusual.
Which is funny since he lives 600 yards from the surf and is by far the dumbest person to post here.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
GromsDad said:
When the personal attacks get this unhinged I know I've made good points. Cheers. :cheers:
Really? I guess I was making some great points the other day when all you came back with was poor attempts at personal attacks :cheers:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
The people who are going to make these guns already have 20 guns in their closet