North County Traffic

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Just me or is North County traffic on the 5 at an all time high? I know it's summer, but it's been this way for a year. More population?

BajaBoojum

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 21, 2009
San Diego
Dude I been talking a lot about this lately. For me, I feel like its been absolutely hideous the past 2 years... It definitely seems worse. The other day I had to go "out east" on the 56, and holy S@#$... The entire 56 was backed up til the 15!!! Worst part was the bulldozers and cranes flattening out the last remaining open areas there what looks like MORE HOMES!!! Aghhh......

It's f'ed up, and really sad... impossible to buy here with limited supply but at the same time, making more homes for more people? I think we need more lanes on the 5.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Yeah it seems to be an all day thing too, not just during rush hour. I don't go inland too much, but north and south on the 5 between Oside and Del Mar has backups for no reason at all. Been that way for the last year or two.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
hgsouth said:
but north and south on the 5 between Oside and Del Mar has backups for no reason at all.
the freeway is backed up because there are too many cars on the freeway; they could build a 2nd 5 freeway directly above the existing freeway and you'd simply have a two-level traffic jam at rush hour.

if you plan on sticking around, I'd say "enjoy it" as it's only going to get worse.

FishFace

Miki Dora status
Aug 8, 2009
Del Mar, CA
the 56 is a joke. I cannot believe SD is allowing more development without first improving the infrastructure. its a 2 lane highway each way for god's sake!

I think a lot more people are working... That might be the case.

they're finally expanding the trolley from old town to UTC. That might help things a little in that area but its gonna take 2 years to finish.

MJOJunkie

Michael Peterson status
Jan 4, 2015
Socal Bight
hgsouth said:
Just me or is North County traffic on the 5 at an all time high? I know it's summer, but it's been this way for a year. More population?
Yes and yes. Yes?

It got totally washed out (noticeably less volume) during the nadir of the financial crisis
but with the "recovery" and gentricovery (my word :loser: ) its at critical mass for sure.

The sad part is the amount of homes and development planned without a real solution by the powers that be (more lanes never works) its going to get well lets just say more difficult :bricks:
Let us make the I-5 half a bike lane like quaaludia and sip tea while waiting in our boxes...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

centralcoastlurker

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 11, 2003
35.1800° N, 120.7308° W
They need another north south running freeway out of SD. Heck, run it through Pendleton. Every time I go home to visit my folks, usually a short weekend. I hate leaving on Sunday because I know I'm just going to sit in traffic from Oceanside to Dana Pt.

kookycooky

Nep status
Sep 5, 2014
25 years ago, my house had a one car. Now there are 4. Sorry guys.

The solution?

Google car like system where every single automated car is connected to a bigger system that oversees entire traffic.

No one slows down going uphill, no one steps on a unnecessary breaks during night time, no one slows down to merge, no one drives with break and gas at the same time. Now that fascinates me sometimes, watch you'll see some people drive like that, how often do they change their break pad?

it is that uphill and down hill part through San Clemente that causes traffic. People don't watch their speed and they end up slowing down going up the hill. During night time people see the red light going up the hill and they slow down, when they should actually be going faster, and why do people slow down at the top of the hill part? Do they think that the road is going to end and disappear?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I go surfing on Friday afternoons at the Basilone road exit on Pendleton. Driving from my work in Old Town to getting through Oside can take forever. Sometimes it takes me longer to get through Oside from San Diego than it does for me to drive up the 15 and get to Temecula. The traffic is ridiculous going north on the 5.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Drove up to Seattle last month. Trust me, San Diego traffic has nothing over the Portland and Seattle traffic. A mess of epic proportions.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
There were supposed to be 2 more north-south freeways in SD County; one dropping down from Hwy-76 through San Marcos to connect to Hwy-56 and another running inland of Poway to connect with the north end of Hwy-67. Neither happened (or will happen) due to local resistance from these cities.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I would say it's more like "back to normal" prior to the recession.

It just illustrates what that last extra 5% more traffic does to a freeway.

etmo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2006
I agree with the poster who noticed the traffic is correlated with the economic recovery. So, it's a good sign, kinda. Can't avoid it this time of year, you've got the races at Del Mar, tons of tourists in town, cruise ships, etc, etc.

Can't add new freeways, no city can afford to buy up that much extra real estate at today's prices. A north-south connector from the 56 to the 76 would cost many billions of dollars. We might as well just buy another dozen desalination plants and solve our water problems forever if we're going to waste that much money, because even another connector would just be a parking lot at rush hour.

Our train system is a joke -- check the Coaster schedule and notice that the last am train leaves north county before 8am. And then what are you supposed to do when you arrive? Pray your company has a shuttle? Pay for a taxi? It's the same problem as riding the bus -- the stops kill you. Drive to the train station. Wait. Take train. Wait for shuttle. Make stops. Wait. Finally arrive, 2 hours after you left home. Might as well grind in traffic, you'll arrive sooner, and what happens if you need some flexibility in your schedule? Screwed.

The only solution is the inevitable: self driving cars, as was noted above. Since they're safer, they'll soon be forced on you anyways, and the fact that they'll solve a lot of the gridlock without costing zillions means it's check and mate. Hey, you'll be able to drive yourself between the hours of midnight at 4 am and on weekends, but soon that'll be just for old people. Who wants to drive when they can be checking their twitter feed?

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
That sounds horrible. :shocked2:

Here was my commute this morning on Hwy 1.

Though I was on my bike. Blurry because pedaling.