Nicaragua contra Mexico

Apr 30, 2022
I'd love to visit Nicaragua, but where I am in Canada it's a hassle to get there. Flights to Managua are 2-3 stops with 20 hours travel time on average and usually super expensive.

Flights to Liberia are a bit cheaper and more direct, though still an overnight flight and then I'd have to arrange a shuttle to get across the boarder and whatever else that entails.

Hopefully in the future that improves but with the political situation in Nicaragua it seems easier and cheaper to fly almost anywhere else in Mexico or Central America; at least from my closest airport.

Was really keen to check out Huatulco in April, but from recent accounts that area sounds crazy crowded now, with most breaks requiring you to hire a guide or stay at a surf camp... not opposed to doing that for a few days of the trip... but I 'd be renting a vehicle and don't want to be restricted from surfing solo from the breaks that I could just as easily drive to; that sounds like a weird system. I'd be more keen to go back to he Baja in April with the possibility of scoring on either side.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Hey there.... I've been almost set on Nosara Next New Year. I am a good surfer, wife and 8 yr old are beginner. Wife wants an all incvlusive basically haha- a nice place on the beach with a restaurant. I want mellow waves for all of us.
Nosara or Miramar? Or?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Hey there.... I've been almost set on Nosara Next New Year. I am a good surfer, wife and 8 yr old are beginner. Wife wants an all incvlusive basically haha- a nice place on the beach with a restaurant. I want mellow waves for all of us.
Nosara or Miramar? Or?
Nosara is a great place for this as long as you do not mind spending and Ok with small off season surf. Just book early, I tried to meet up with my buddies for this month and everything was full.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
Nosara is a great place for this as long as you do not mind spending and Ok with small off season surf. Just book early, I tried to meet up with my buddies for this month and everything was full.
Sounds good thanks. My wife found Cala Luna in Tamarindo. Any idea about Tamarindo?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'd love to visit Nicaragua, but where I am in Canada it's a hassle to get there. Flights to Managua are 2-3 stops with 20 hours travel time on average and usually super expensive.

Flights to Liberia are a bit cheaper and more direct, though still an overnight flight and then I'd have to arrange a shuttle to get across the boarder and whatever else that entails.

Hopefully in the future that improves but with the political situation in Nicaragua it seems easier and cheaper to fly almost anywhere else in Mexico or Central America; at least from my closest airport.

Was really keen to check out Huatulco in April, but from recent accounts that area sounds crazy crowded now, with most breaks requiring you to hire a guide or stay at a surf camp... not opposed to doing that for a few days of the trip... but I 'd be renting a vehicle and don't want to be restricted from surfing solo from the breaks that I could just as easily drive to; that sounds like a weird system. I'd be more keen to go back to he Baja in April with the possibility of scoring on either side.
You can surf barra, bocana and faro all without a guide. You can get to all them without a truck or 4x4. You have to walk up the beach to faro without 4x4. It could still be a good trip. If there is a good swell barra will be a zoo, bocana will be closed out and you will be driving 90 mins each way to faro with a long walk up the beach unless you have 4x4.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Nosara or Miramar? Or?
I've only been to Miramar once. My friend brought his wife who enjoyed the pool and couple small local restaurants but there isn't much to do otherwise that I could tell. I enjoyed the waves, they were pretty user friendly unless the offshores were really strong - which they did get several times while I was there. There was a strong current at Sandino but that may be tide dependent, the guides told us we didn't have a great tide window. The upside of the current is it thinned out the crowd pretty quickly.

Reactions: flyinraptr

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I also stayed at Occidental, which is right on Langosta. All you can eat buffet food was decent, rooms/pool was nice, parking was reasonable. I'd check around Playa Grande if surf is an important part of your trip

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I also stayed at Occidental, which is right on Langosta. All you can eat buffet food was decent, rooms/pool was nice, parking was reasonable. I'd check around Playa Grande if surf is an important part of your trip
Trespassed there in '99 when the land was being cleared as it was the quickest way to the road. Stayed there in '02. Looks a bit nicer now and it was very nice (for a 'surf trip') then.

I thought the food was decent+ going in, but me, everyone I was with, and everyone who ever stayed there I talked to all said coming out, you could sell that sh!t to a dictator to keep his population in line, because that sh!t was potent.

dalton3c

Miki Dora status
Mar 6, 2003
Pine St.
There's a boatload of decent condo rentals in that immediate area, beyond that not really
Turns out they are not taking reservations that far in advance unitl mid March or something. And by any other recommendations I just meant anywhere in the world actually haha. I'm not down for a 15 hour flight though.