Nicaragua contra Mexico

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
hahaha - It's a beautiful setup and that's enough time to really explore (check out Leon)...you'll be back - and it's north enough that the winds aren't like Colorados

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Late to the conversation but good choice! Bring a spring suit or at a minimum a long sleeve topper. Water temp will be in the mid to upper 70's but the wind chill factor will make it feel colder especially in the early morning sessions. Non-surf activity - just north of Leon is volcano sliding .... takes about an hour to hike up and around 60 seconds to slide down but pretty fun. It's an active volcano and you can feel the heat - so if interested bring a pair of hiking shoes or something with thick soles. Also - the Flor de Cana distillery is pretty cool and has tours also just north of Leon.

Reactions: Lakookaracha
Oct 25, 2019
Leaving in less than a week.

Swell has been pretty consistent 2-3 @ 14-18 sw.

What am I looking at for conditions if this holds true?

Bringing two of: 5’10 Neckbeard 2, 6’0 Timmy P Stoked, 6’1 Lost Sabotaj (the only caveat with the sabotaj is that it was recently repaired for a buckle and I have yet to surf it…).

Reactions: need 4 speed

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Water has been warmer this season than normal... around 82 at the moment but this morning felt a little colder with the wind .. at least when you first get in. I've been trunking it with a 1ml topper in the AM .... have only had to break out the springsuit a couple times this year. Swell in the water at the moment .... the season is starting to warm up ... was chest to shoulder high this AM down south. Looks to stay about the same until the 25th .... when it is suppose to pick up. Winds have been brutal though .... at least in the south .... looks to be ok up north.

Reactions: Lakookaracha

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
@flyinraptr im eyeballing a late May/early june trip to iguana. We’re (finally, maybe) getting close to closing on the santa Teresa sale, so im not booking any flights until I have an idea of how that will proceed (in case I need to go to CR for the closing)

Ill know more in a few weeks

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
@flyinraptr im eyeballing a late May/early june trip to iguana. We’re (finally, maybe) getting close to closing on the santa Teresa sale, so im not booking any flights until I have an idea of how that will proceed (in case I need to go to CR for the closing)

Ill know more in a few weeks
Sounds good! You've had that property for quite awhile ... good luck with the sale. If and when you do go to book the flight ... hearing a lot of complaints from folks going through customs at the Managua airport .... general consensus seems to be to go through Liberia ... customs is apparently still pretty chill going through the border between CR and Nica.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I’ve never had issues flying in there. 2 hour drive to Iguana and no border crossing. With a coffin full of boards, i would rather just deal with nosy immigration agents at the airport, as opposed to two taxis, walking across the border lugging all my crap. I know it’s a pretty easy crossing all things considered but…

I can fly business class to Managua for just a few hundred bucks more than economy to Liberia. That’s really the deciding factor :foreheadslap: :D

Reactions: scdad and mundus

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah - the number of flights / airlines going to Managua has been increasing of late. I haven't flown back to the US in about 3 years .. so i don't have any personal experience with customs of late .. just going off chatter in the local FB groups. Generally speaking ... the govt has been trying to generate more $$ of late ... just renewed our 5yr residency ... we have a new 5 yr residency but our ID cards expire every 6 months ... so we have to renew and pay the fee ... all about $$ ... probably to pay for the new coastal highway they're currently building.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah - the number of flights / airlines going to Managua has been increasing of late. I haven't flown back to the US in about 3 years .. so i don't have any personal experience with customs of late .. just going off chatter in the local FB groups. Generally speaking ... the govt has been trying to generate more $$ of late ... just renewed our 5yr residency ... we have a new 5 yr residency but our ID cards expire every 6 months ... so we have to renew and pay the fee ... all about $$ ... probably to pay for the new coastal highway they're currently building.
What is the general consensus about that road? Good for the region?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
What is the general consensus about that road? Good for the region?
From people i've talked to .... seems the locals are excited about ... jobs, potentially new business opportunities, etc. Most ex-pats i've talked to are not excited about it. It is definitely going to open up a lot of new real estate opportunities in areas that have been previously undeveloped or considered too remote. I've haven't been up that way for quite awhile but i've been told that it literally cuts through Iguana between the first security gate and the second. They've also closed the airport that was just outside Iguana. Here they've already cut through the San Juan Del Sur valley .... and Remanso ... at Hermosa .... pretty close to the beach. The biggest question is how much will it really be used .... when we go to Managua ... we take the new one they did through Jinotepe and it's a nice road ... always empty. Definitely ... will make it easier to check out surf spots ... instead of it taking it an hour to go from San Juan to Iguana .... will probably only take about 20 minutes. When they announced they were starting last Sept .... they were saying it would take 9 months ... but general consensus is it is gonna be a couple years for them to complete it. One potential bright side is they are going to make a new border crossing into CR .... so will be able to drive to Ollie's Point and Witches Rock within a couple hours. It's definitely going to cut my drive time to my local for surf sessions ... so there's that!

Reactions: Subway

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
From people i've talked to .... seems the locals are excited about ... jobs, potentially new business opportunities, etc. Most ex-pats i've talked to are not excited about it. It is definitely going to open up a lot of new real estate opportunities in areas that have been previously undeveloped or considered too remote. I've haven't been up that way for quite awhile but i've been told that it literally cuts through Iguana between the first security gate and the second. They've also closed the airport that was just outside Iguana. Here they've already cut through the San Juan Del Sur valley .... and Remanso ... at Hermosa .... pretty close to the beach. The biggest question is how much will it really be used .... when we go to Managua ... we take the new one they did through Jinotepe and it's a nice road ... always empty. Definitely ... will make it easier to check out surf spots ... instead of it taking it an hour to go from San Juan to Iguana .... will probably only take about 20 minutes. When they announced they were starting last Sept .... they were saying it would take 9 months ... but general consensus is it is gonna be a couple years for them to complete it. One potential bright side is they are going to make a new border crossing into CR .... so will be able to drive to Ollie's Point and Witches Rock within a couple hours. It's definitely going to cut my drive time to my local for surf sessions ... so there's that!
How far do you have to drive now to your local?

New roads ruined surfing.

Reactions: flyinraptr