New Ride: Firewire Related

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It's been a long time since I've ridden something that might not pass the sniff test around here but when I saw these come out I really couldn't resist. What's not to like? A lightweight, midlength fish with a snappy quad setup? Sign me up. I currently have a PU/PE Rob Machado go fish and it's a pretty legit twin. Between that and what I see in the online videos, I'm feeling like this board is going to rip.

Because I'm already a little bit uncomfortable with the idea of adding a board like this to the rack of any otherwise erbb approved quiver I couldn't simply opt for the plain white vanilla option. As such, it took some time to track down one of the tinted versions of these boards but I was finally able to find one that recently landed at Proof Lab. Hoping to get it out for a test ride tomorrow.

IMG_4422.jpgIMG_4421.jpg

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yep, it's a 7'0. Fondled the 7'4 also but it just felt too big.

So many delicious sparkling water flavors out there to choose from but right now my favorite is probably the Aha grapefruit orange.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

board looks like it'd be fun. ya at least the deck color adds a little personality

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Nice boar, but the state of your garage is giving me anxiety .

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
Looks good! I'm glad that you purchased what you wanted, and looking forward to a ride report :shaka:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
So bros, I was lucky enough to get this board out in the water at a stretched out point break in SC on an average south swell a couple of days ago so now I can give you all a solid preliminary ride report. But before we get into that, the surf conditions were average but fun, shoulder to head high plus with a good amount of face chop and some warble but nothing rendering it unsurfable.

Before I dive into the review, it’s worth noting that the only other midlength board that I've surfed in the last couple of years is a Christenson Flat Tracker so that is my basis for comparison.

I'll start with the feel of the board. It's quite nice all around. It's light, feels strong, the finish is very solid and the tint looks great in person. There's nothing to complain about on that front - if you can wrap your head around riding a board that’s built in Thailand - the board is downright nice.

The first thing I noticed once I got in the water is how the board paddles and glides and I was a little bit surprised by the lack thereof. The Flat Tracker is an absolute paddle machine so I’m not sure if my basis is off, but if it isn’t, then I’m not sure whether it’s the construction, the shape, or some other factor. Either way, the board definitely gets around but doesn’t exactly have the smooth midlength glide factor I was hoping for. It was a bit choppy, however, so I’m interested to get the board into some smoother conditions to see if that

On the construction front, I've never ridden a Firewire LFT before, but it definitely doesn't feel like a PU/PE board as you might imagine. I'd say the closest comparison I can come up with is XTR’s SL-CK construction. The board definitely has that unique, non-wood stringer flex pattern that works but requires some adjustments in thinking and riding. Between those two things, the board paddles and catches waves ok but not as well as I would expect from the 7'0 x 213/8 x 2 11/16 dims.

Once you get into the wave, however, the story is pretty different it really gets going. When the wave stands up and gives you a nice shoulder, the thing is an absolute rocket down the line. With the rocker and the quad setup you can push it down the line and cover some serious distance. But where it maybe seems to lack some glide in paddling, that definitely isn’t the case on the face of the wave. You can also just sort of point the board down the line and it seems to just motor through sections effortlessly.

I’m not surprised, but I’m definitely impressed by how fast, fluid, and fun the board is when the wave conditions are conducive. Where I found the board to really shine is when the wave would shrink down to 2 - 4 feet and the board would just loosen up and fly all over the place (in a good way) with very little effort.

I’d say the board is at least as fast or slightly less fast down the line as my Flat Tracker but certainly not noticeable. What it may lack in speed it definitely makes up for in the leverage you get from the quad setup and the ability to aggressively high lines. The other place where the board pleasantly surprised me is when taking off from behind a section and just rocketing through the collapsing face or whitewater like a slingshot.

The board is pretty maneuverable for a 7-footer but it’s also going to take some time to get used to. I’m using the suggested split keel Rob Machado future quads and they definitely seem to work. The board is definitely happy to rip cutbacks, do light floaters, and even some off the tops with some light coaxing but I also found that the board could get a bit locked into turns, start tracking and be tough to make directional changes on.

One of the cool things about the board is that you can trim up and down it for really different feals. You can step towards the front and it trims like a longer midlength or even a longboard. But then you can also step back towards the tail and drive it hard like a high-performance quad fish so it’s nice and versatile in that sense.

It doesn’t take long to tell that it’s definitely a strong all-around shape. This is now the second Rob Machado shape that I’ve surfed and I’m really impressed with how he builds high-performance capabilities into retro(ish) shapes. I’m definitely looking forward to getting it into some cleaner, punchier surf and also seeing how it handles small, soft surf at OB.

Here are some more photos so you can avoid the psycho garage pics.

Attachments

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
you mention the LFT feels,which I despise but I'm still considering this board, for my wife.

I got a 7'3"Parmenter vector coda, ostensibly for both of us to ride, but the thing is a heavily glassed beast. True paddle machine ,which I love. But it's just too much board for her to deal with.

so thinking some epoxy pop-out might be easier for her.

just don't want to pay so much.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@kool-aid, Your ride report pretty much described the stringered PU Seaside I have. At 5'5 1/2" it's definitely a touch too small for me but I was disappointed it didn't paddle better for the fishy shape. However, once it's up and going, it's an absolute blast: effortless speed around sections, manages to have that fishy glide, but then rips tight turns with its thin pulled-in tail. Really fun. I'd be curious to hear from some one who has ridden both SS and SSBeyond.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
you mention the LFT feels,which I despise but I'm still considering this board, for my wife.

I got a 7'3"Parmenter vector coda, ostensibly for both of us to ride, but the thing is a heavily glassed beast. True paddle machine ,which I love. But it's just too much board for her to deal with.

so thinking some epoxy pop-out might be easier for her.

just don't want to pay so much.
Really, you despise it? I definitely don't have any issues with it but like I did say before, it's an adjustment for sure. It has some pros and cons.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to overpower it when surfing aggressively in punchier surf. I kind of think so but we'll see. But I do think that a board like this would be a fun / easier ride for you wife and be a pretty good time if you wanted to pull it out for yourself.