New Chillis, rarest bird and hot knife

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Beautiful boards! The colors :love:

Custom ordering some new chillis, too. Anyone want to help guide my dims, or model choices? Goin' bulky. I like the otr boards I have for San Diego on great days, but most of the time here on the central coast I spend too much time and energy paddling around chasing. Going to rebuild around ease of use and my own preferences. More "get off the cliff and into the water" motivating boards.

Starting with four new, maybe an experiment in "how much foam is too much?" Or, combining the new extra foam style with the longer rail lines of my youth that have gone out of fashion (don't you miss seeing people do smooth turns on 6'3s and the like?)
Stringcheese: 5'11, 170lbs, mostly shoulders

1)Mid strength (?) Not really sure. How big can you get this thing? Will it work at like 8'6, 9 foot? Better at 7 something? I've ridden all the longboards, I want to try something new for the weakest waves, like barely breaking mush. Whatever length I go, I'm adding width and thickness.

2)Pretty sweet, or maybe fire chief? Something to fill the retro fish slot, I've had all of those already. Again, not sure, but something that I can get damn close to 40ltrs and mid 5 foot range. For the same powerless waves as I'll use the mid strength in, but shorter up and down mush rather than down the line mush.

3,4)couple foamed up shorties with good rails and less nose rocker, for good days. The A2 curve was my first Chilli love, the rocker and rails do it for me, but how much foam can they put in without fvcking things up?
A2 - 6'3, '20, '2 3/4 36.2ltr five fins swallow tail
A2 - 6'10, '20 1/2, '2 7/8 41.4ltr five fins round pin
all twin tech epoxy. (Bright neon color tops wrapping over the rails, rising sun bottoms, and since it looks like they still exist, the old chilli logos! :))

Sound like too much added foam? Just want to push hard and go fast, 34 years old and kinda done babying sensitive boards to "rip" for a turn or two, but I want to bury rails forever. I've got hockey player legs and cast iron ankles, I'll just Pancho Sullivan those beaches if they're not the most responsive. Smooth and doesn't dig/bog/sink when I push it is all I'm after.

Edit: here for 407 class, already aced the 1&200s thanks, I understand that the most important imput is the shaper's and that it all depends on the board. I've owned like 100.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Custom ordering some new chillis, too. Anyone want to help guide my dims, or model choices? Goin' bulky. I like the otr boards I have for San Diego on great days, but most of the time here on the central coast I spend too much time and energy paddling around chasing. Going to rebuild around ease of use and my own preferences. More "get off the cliff and into the water" motivating boards.

Starting with four new, maybe an experiment in "how much foam is too much?" Or, combining the new extra foam style with the longer rail lines of my youth that have gone out of fashion (don't you miss seeing people do smooth turns on 6'3s and the like?)

1)Mid strength (?) Not really sure. How big can you get this thing? Will it work at like 8'6, 9 foot? Better at 7 something? I've ridden all the longboards, I want to try something new for the weakest waves, like barely breaking mush. Whatever length I go, I'm adding width and thickness.

2)Pretty sweet, or maybe fire chief? Something to fill the retro fish slot, I've had all of those already. Again, not sure, but something that I can get damn close to 40ltrs and mid 5 foot range. For the same powerless waves as I'll use the mid strength in, but shorter up and down mush rather than down the line mush.

3,4)couple foamed up shorties with good rails and less nose rocker, for good days. The A2 curve was my first Chilli love, the rocker and rails do it for me, but how much foam can they put in without fvcking things up?
A2 - 6'10, '21, '2 7/8 41.4ltr five fins round pin
all twin tech epoxy. (Bright neon color tops wrapping over the rails, rising sun bottoms, and since it looks like they still exist, the old chilli logos! :))

Sound like too much added foam? Just want to push hard and go fast, 34 years old and kinda done babying sensitive boards to "rip" for a turn or two, but I want to bury rails forever. I've got hockey player legs and cast iron ankles, I'll just Pancho Sullivan those beaches if they're not the most responsive. Smooth and doesn't dig/bog/sink when I push it is all I'm after.
You are going to order 4 custom boards ($700-$800×4) and you ask forum for models and dim recomendation:socrazy: Some think its insane pay custom in full but I think its even more insane not to go to shaper first and ask:foreheadslap:

Reactions: chilly1

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
You are going to order 4 custom boards ($700-$800×4) and you ask forum for models and dim recomendation:socrazy: Some think its insane pay custom in full but I think its even more insane not to go to shaper first and ask:foreheadslap:
Nah dude, I'll bore him to tears too, and mostly decide on my own, but it's fun to play with ideas here and comb the crowd for opinions. A lot of surfers here with experience and things to share.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Nah dude, I'll bore him to tears too, and mostly decide on my own, but it's fun to play with ideas here and comb the crowd for opinions. A lot of surfers here with experience and things to share.
Yes agree love feedback about how certain board feels with certain fins in certain conditions etc but I go to my shaper's for dim and model etc. I always have a height, width, and thickness and then run it by along with fin set up to shaper:shaka:

Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Yes agree love feedback about how certain board feels with certain fins in certain conditions etc but I go to my shaper's for dim and model etc. I always have a height, width, and thickness and then run it by along with fin set up to shaper:shaka:
I like it, but i still want to know what some people here have to say about their experience with ordering extra foamy boards, or some random stories about custom orders gone weird, or boards I should get instead, etc...

Reactions: rowjimmytour

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I might’ve talked about the Fire Chief here, I did have one…and yeah, it was fun. Same characteristics of a TKF, almost as fast pumping on the face but without the
slidey-ness when performing more HP turns. I believe the Popper should be the same, biggest difference between the FChief and Popper is the Popper has a semi TKF beveled railView attachment 123546View attachment 123547View attachment 123548
Sick quiver...what are the two on the right? don't look like sugars.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I like it, but i still want to know what some people here have to say about their experience with ordering extra foamy boards, or some random stories about custom orders gone weird, or boards I should get instead, etc...
Some boards work witb extra foam, some less so. kinda have to infer from the design or jsut ask the shaper whicb are the most friendly for this kind of thing.

if you add float make sure to have the rails for your appropriate weight.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

A2 - 6'10, '20 1/2, '2 7/8 41.4ltr five fins round pin

Edit: here for 407 class, already aced the 1&200s thanks, I understand that the most important imput is the shaper's and that it all depends on the board. I've owned like 100.
Epic YOLO order!
I suggest you just add about 2L to what you have, call Chilli and talk to whoever you can there about mid-strength dims, and just make sure all have med rails. Good luck!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Epic YOLO order!
I suggest you just add about 2L to what you have, call Chilli and talk to whoever you can there about mid-strength dims, and just make sure all have med rails. Good luck!
Thanks! 2L might get be enough to get where I want. If I can get 5 in there though:LOL: The never ending search for boards that both paddle and surf well.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
AND you're in close proximity to several breweries: Smog City, Monkish, Yorkshire Square, Strand, Scholb...

Reactions: jkb