New Chillis, rarest bird and hot knife

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I'm a Chilli guy and love my Rare Bird (quad setup) and A2 for Hatteras barrels...The Rare Bird can fly at the lighthouse -- really want a Sugar but know I'd snap it too quick. Deciding between a Hot Knife, Volume 2 and Black Vulture 2 at the moment. His shapes work for me. Nice boards!

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I'm a Chilli guy and love my Rare Bird (quad setup) and A2 for Hatteras barrels...The Rare Bird can fly at the lighthouse -- really want a Sugar but know I'd snap it too quick. Deciding between a Hot Knife, Volume 2 and Black Vulture 2 at the moment. His shapes work for me. Nice boards!
Did you end up going BV2? I don’t pay much attention to “short board” reviews but thinking I should probably own one. Both the surf show guy and surfboard guide seemed to really like the BV2

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Beefy quads on the rarest bird make it grip and move a little more forcefully. I put h4 rears with JS fronts. Noticably more drive and less pivot. I'll still go 2+1 in small good waves, it's so fun that way, but the quads help when I'm doing more pushing.

Can tell that I could have gone smaller on the board for regular sized waves, 5'8 maybe 5'7 (I'm 5'11, 170ish) but I like having the extra foam. It's a little more front foot friendly is the only problem with the length, I have to move forward a bit to stay on top of the water in spots, and move my back foot in front of the traction pad...not used to boards that want to surf so offf the front. But in hollow sections it doesn't act like that, and I love it.

Reactions: MathDebater

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Beefy quads on the rarest bird make it grip and move a little more forcefully. I put h4 rears with JS fronts. Noticably more drive and less pivot. I'll still go 2+1 in small good waves, it's so fun that way, but the quads help when I'm doing more pushing.

Can tell that I could have gone smaller on the board for regular sized waves, 5'8 maybe 5'7 (I'm 5'11, 170ish) but I like having the extra foam. It's a little more front foot friendly is the only problem with the length, I have to move forward a bit to stay on top of the water in spots, and move my back foot in front of the traction pad...not used to boards that want to surf so offf the front. But in hollow sections it doesn't act like that, and I love it.
My Rare Bird with quads is flat out filthy in 4-6ft toobs...point and shoot

Reactions: stringcheese

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I always felt that beefy, floaty boards tend to have that kinda skatey, "drive with the front foot feeling". Especially when the rocker is on the flatter side. Kinda 80's style.

I don't pretend to know anything about design theory. I'm the guy who looks at my shaper and says "I surf ___, I don't surf as often as I want to, and I'm not as good as want to be, and you've seen me surf. Can you make me something between 6'0" and 6" 2" without too much foam in the rail that should work? Maybe something like this one (as I fondle something)?"

Last edited:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
i've had several Chillis over the years and currently am on a Mid Strength 7'0 that is significantly more foiled than stock dims. Its in thin tech construction. Super light but not crazy durable.

Board has the same tail as round tail chilli shortboards and turns on a dime from the tail, has quite a bit of rocker. It planes and catches waves similar to a long board. Im pleasantly surprised how stoked I am on it!

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
i've had several Chillis over the years and currently am on a Mid Strength 7'0 that is significantly more foiled than stock dims. Its in thin tech construction. Super light but not crazy durable.

Board has the same tail as round tail chilli shortboards and turns on a dime from the tail, has quite a bit of rocker. It planes and catches waves similar to a long board. Im pleasantly surprised how stoked I am on it!
I love my Chillis, but one thing they are not is durable...I snap em off the rack

• Wow
Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I always felt that beefy, floaty boards tend to have that kinda skatey, "drive with the front foot feeling". Especially when the rocker is on the flatter side. Kinda 80's style.

I don't pretend to know anything about design theory. I'm the guy who looks at my shaper and says "I surf ___, I don't surf as often as I want to, and I'm not as good as want to be, and you've seen me surf. Can you make me something between 6'0" and 6" 2" without too much foam in the rail that should work?"
It's been weird that this board feels like that on flatter sections, but so engaged in better parts and waves. That makes me think I got it too big, except for more solid surf.

Almost got one of these but the rocker was weird to me, in the center of the board

I love my Chillis, but one thing they are not is durable...I snap em off the rack

That twin tech hasn't been durable to you? Mine have been insane, I'm super clumsy carrying them, and heavy on my arched feet riding them, and they look new still.

Reactions: Mr J

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
think waxurdyl did a review. He probably has it 3 different sizes. LOL
I might’ve talked about the Fire Chief here, I did have one…and yeah, it was fun. Same characteristics of a TKF, almost as fast pumping on the face but without the
slidey-ness when performing more HP turns. I believe the Popper should be the same, biggest difference between the FChief and Popper is the Popper has a semi TKF beveled rail169E9278-3CA0-4FDA-BD57-7792EFDE7649.jpeg204592B3-10A2-41FC-8FC6-AD5645F6E390.jpeg9185C1C2-133E-49D8-82B4-BA71B1A9C493.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I might’ve talked about the Fire Chief here, I did have one…and yeah, it was fun. Same characteristics of a TKF, almost as fast pumping on the face but without the
slidey-ness when performing more HP turns. I believe the Popper should be the same, biggest difference between the FChief and Popper is the Popper has a semi TKF beveled railView attachment 123546View attachment 123547View attachment 123548
did you special order the reinforcing lines around the FCS2 plugs?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
wouldnt mind having a fire chief so i can shitcan my old fish