New cars and key fobs

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
fook its annoying.

guessing I need rf disabling pouch to put the fob in and then use the physical key?

I couldn’t find the huge thread we already had on this
yea it is

alternatively you can construct your own RF blocking device

a cup or jar wrapped in tin foil with a cap works too

macgyvered a few of these while renting vehicles that had the anti door locking feature while the key was inside

Reactions: santacruzin

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Depending on the make you should be able to get the dealer to cut you some door keys. Jeep does for about $9/each, so I had them cut 3 and I keep a few at home.

I use a faraday pouch but I'm not sure if it even does anything because my alarm still goes off every time no matter what absurd sequence of door closings and manual lockings I do.

Sucks being that guy at the beach setting off his car alarm every time :roflmao: #firstworldproblems :drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
fook its annoying.

guessing I need rf disabling pouch to put the fob in and then use the physical key?

The mechanical key seems to disable the keyless entry capability on my shitbox nissan. Lock it with the mechanical key, and the tap the button with fob in range to unlock feature no longer works.

YMMV

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Sucks being that guy at the beach setting off his car alarm every time :roflmao: #firstworldproblems :drowning:
That's the one I struggled with, especially camping. 1st time was in Utah. I was crashed out in the car with the doors locked, woke up probably around 4:30 to take a p1ss and my alarm woke up everyone in the campground. Naturally, I had to scramble to find my keys for a good 30 seconds before being able to turn it off, so a few people got vocal about it.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamScam

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
I’d check YouTube for your specific vehicle.

I found way more info about my new Outback Wilderness on there vs the convoluted info from the owner’s manual or the knuckleheads at the dealer.

In the case of the Subaru if you hold down two of the buttons on the key fob for a few seconds it will go to sleep and you don’t have to do the faraday pouch.

Additionally there’s a button hidden under the tailgate where you can tap in a code to unlock the car so you don’t even need a metal key and you’ll never get locked out.