If your car is stolen while surfing an you have one of those little lock boxes

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It makes sense, I just wonder how they learned he had the lockbox in the first place.

It's like when you fill in those travel forms and they ask "Are you trafficking drugs or illegal weapons?" and of course they expect drug dealers to be honest about it.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It makes sense, I just wonder how they learned he had the lockbox in the first place.
There are deadbeats who case parking lots and watch. If all of a sudden you are bending over and reaching under your car, it's kind of a dead giveaway.

Edit: Thought this was a magnetic hide-a-key case, which may actually be smarter than a lockbox attached to your handle that screams "KEY'S IN HERE!"

I like the hitchsafe because it's not blatantly obvious, although it is easily spotted by someone who is looking for it.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^
Lock Box, the brand, are pretty easily pried open, in my humble opinion,
as witnessed personally when Melissa, my last surfer~girl sweet-heart, pried open her b~day present in front of me....
Word Lock Stor~More canisters are not.
Just saying...
:shaka:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It was probably attached to his door handle in plain sight. I see that all the time. The real question is how did they guess the lock combo? :poke:
I meant the insurance company. How did they know he had a freaking lockbox? did he tell them? They surveyed camera feed?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
They may have inspected the car and figured out that the key was used (not broken into or hotwired)

Reactions: racer1

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There are deadbeats who case parking lots and watch. If all of a sudden you are bending over and reaching under your car, it's kind of a dead giveaway.

Edit: Thought this was a magnetic hide-a-key case, which may actually be smarter than a lockbox attached to your handle that screams "KEY'S IN HERE!"

I like the hitchsafe because it's not blatantly obvious, although it is easily spotted by someone who is looking for it.
I hate having to stash my key on my car, especially when there are sketchy people around and it's not a spot where you can bring your stuff down to the sand. Valet key used to be easy.

At least if there are a couple cars around that make you paranoid, you can memorize/write down their license plates just in case but if there are random derelicts around, yeah, that gets tougher. Cover your car with soap-plastered job applications in hopes that it is a deterrent?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It was probably attached to his door handle in plain sight. I see that all the time. The real question is how did they guess the lock combo? :poke:
This guy is the "Lockpicking Lawyer" on Youtube. 300k followers and has 100's of vids showing the weaknesses of nearly every lock on the market. Dude is really good at picking locks and shows how easy it is to pick most locks in seconds. Also break down lock designs, how they work, etc.

Imagine you smash a window and get into this guys garage and all you see is 1000's of locks.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: afoaf and sdsrfr

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Do they make combination lock style restraints?

Would that add the challenge of speed?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Locks are never a guarantee. Think of them as a delaying tactic at worse and a dissuading tool at best, and in between the two is a good bluff.

It is surprising how far you can get in life on good bluffing skills.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
K, this seems like a good place for this story.

About 2 years ago, lunch patrol session at local point, got out of the water to find the tumbler in my lock box had completely disengaged from the lock mechanism, meaning the numbers spun, but it was not unlocking the box.

Fine, I'll go find a stick to pry it open. No luck.
Fine, I'll go ask that maintenance guy to borrow a screwdriver. Now I have a bloody hand (wet, slippery hands + forcing a screwdriver) and still no luck.
Fine, I'll go find a rock and smash the box. It was hanging from the chassis of the car, so any attempt to smash it just bounced it off the metal. No damage at all.

Finally, I carried over a small boulder, placed it under the car, behind the lock box, got a 2 fist sized rock and spent 5 minuted just fcking pounding on the thing.

And that's how I ended up 45 minutes late to work, covered in dirt, in a wetsuit, lying in a parking lot, basically under my car, with blood dripping from both hands (2nd cut from all the rock smashing).

On one hand, I'd buy that box again for durability. But, it stopped working, so, no.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
One thing I like about Ford F-150s is the code access they have on the door. Wish every manufacture would offer something similar.
Those are even easier to break into. Look into 'relay attack on keyless vehicles'

The more techy cars get with their locks, the easier they will be to hack and break into. Sad but true.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf