My new film on Malia Manuel: south africa, indonesia, tahiti...

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
we were shooting out at Teahupo'o and i swam back to our little boat tied up at the buoy, to replace my camera battery. as i was sitting there the two humpback whales drifted right past us in the current - the mother was actually asleep, while the baby frolicked around it. at that point, malia was paddling back to the boat finished with the session, so she put her board in boat, grabbed a mask/fins, and we jumped in and drifted up the reef with them for about 20 minutes before they dove off the reef shelf.
Sooo lucky but I guess you make your own luck! Flashes of that film are still swimming around in my head. Best of luck with the dating.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Vivid, clean and no bs visuals as usual Morgan. Nice way to zone out for 15 mins this morning.

Reactions: Subway

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can't deal with the slo-mo.

Jack McCoy was able to apply slo-mo properly (i.e. sparingly and in varied ways) in The Green Iguana, Bunyip Dreaming, and Sons of Fun.

The shots in this just look like the last slo mo surf piece, which looked like the all the other ones.

I bet your commercial work is much more interesting.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Thank you Hammies.
i make a good living; i do work hard though. there is a lot of corporate/commercial work i do not share, but it is very fruitful....
it also opens the door to do projects like this where i both am compensated well and can have full creative control, releasing a project in and under my name.
Still hoping to pull you on to a project

Reactions: Subway

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Braddah! This was tip top man! I really enjoyed it. The J-Bay section with that music was a nice pairing.

I had the joy of watching Malia surf in Kauai. She rips but is also really friendly and exudes Aloha!

Mahalo for sharing with us erbb degenrates.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I remember watching a video of her, probably when she was still 11-12, ripping up a spot in Kauai. She was always going to be good.

Reactions: ~rwright~

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Can't deal with the slo-mo.

Jack McCoy was able to apply slo-mo properly (i.e. sparingly and in varied ways) in The Green Iguana, Bunyip Dreaming, and Sons of Fun.

The shots in this just look like the last slo mo surf piece, which looked like the all the other ones.

I bet your commercial work is much more interesting.
I'm the same on the slow mo and it's being used way too much anymore in my non-filmaking opinion.

This was different for me and I saw that right off, because I have come to hate slow-mo and surf edits(which I recognize this really isn't) that make it to the 2 or 3 minute mark with NO SURFING? Only to transition into too much slow-mo.

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com
I remember watching a video of her, probably when she was still 11-12, ripping up a spot in Kauai. She was always going to be good.

that video is classic!
we surf the bay a lot together. its a bit too crowded now to do a party wave or follow cam haha.
i nearly beheaded Jonah Hill as he floated hopelessly on a soft top on an overhead day last month.
i wasn't even mad, just confused.