My new film on Malia Manuel: south africa, indonesia, tahiti...

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com

Last spring, Malia reached out to me asking to make a film that saw her surfing in both her favorite places around the world, as well as adventuring to new waves she dreamt of visiting... and so we set off, first to Tahiti, followed by Indonesia and South Africa, France and a quick jaunt to Spain, back to Tahiti for whales and weather redemption, and then concluding with a sublime winter on her home island of Kaua’i.

It was nothing short of a pleasure to hop around the world with Malia, from dancing with Humpback Whales to watching elephants pick fruit from trees in South Africa, sailing through Indian ocean archipelagos and being blistered by winter wind in the Atlantic. We scored waves of all shapes and sizes, sampled cuisine and smelly taxi rides across multiple continents, surfed in the belting rain and counted bands on poisonous sea snakes... I could go on and on, with so many experiences that could fill an anthology of films. But in-between all those moments I strived to capture with my lens, I watched a woman continuously spill her curiosity out into the world, while constantly striving to hone her athletic ability... and so I made a visual tale about a world-class human, surfing her way around the globe.

Direct/film/edit: Morgan Maassen

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
You, you, you're good, you!

Only thing, next time in España,
Come on down to the Canarias!

:waving::shaka:

Last edited:

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Some stunning sections in that film.
How did the section with the whales come about?

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com
Some stunning sections in that film.
How did the section with the whales come about?
we were shooting out at Teahupo'o and i swam back to our little boat tied up at the buoy, to replace my camera battery. as i was sitting there the two humpback whales drifted right past us in the current - the mother was actually asleep, while the baby frolicked around it. at that point, malia was paddling back to the boat finished with the session, so she put her board in boat, grabbed a mask/fins, and we jumped in and drifted up the reef with them for about 20 minutes before they dove off the reef shelf.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
She's really pretty.

She looks great on the frame grab you click on where she is in the tube smiling.

It's not true, but I get the saying that women are the only works of art.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So good, sooooo good
Even my wife was entranced
She now understands why J Bay is a priority trip
also, I don’t think I can love a wave and setting more than Hanalei. I have many lovers now, but that right will always have my heart. loved seeing Malia ride it so well

Also; if I’m reading the above correctly- I love that :)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Million dollar smile, good looking, great surfer. She'll go far if she wants.

As for you Morgan, I hope you are making a good living at what you do because your level of craftsmanship and artistry is really, really high.

Looks like you guys had a great trip!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Congrats! Beautiful images. Look forward to checking out the whole film.
Good for you. She seems like a sweet girl and rips too!

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com
Million dollar smile, good looking, great surfer. She'll go far if she wants.

As for you Morgan, I hope you are making a good living at what you do because your level of craftsmanship and artistry is really, really high.

Looks like you guys had a great trip!
Thank you Hammies.
i make a good living; i do work hard though. there is a lot of corporate/commercial work i do not share, but it is very fruitful....
it also opens the door to do projects like this where i both am compensated well and can have full creative control, releasing a project in and under my name.