My first pilgrimage to Mecca

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
yea exactly - same spot every time on that first ab under my chest. takes like one session to open that fkr up and then im in pain the rest of the trip. rashies, t shirts, nothing works except straight up neoprene. I rarely ever get a chance to trunk it at home so my skin hates the friction and have never been able to toughen it up. im also relatively pale - dont tan - so i need all the UV protection i can get

I was literally dying in el sal last year in the jacket i have so i just picked up a 1m billabong jacket thats more like a thick rashgaurd but with this unique sorta padded, ribbed material. i dunno? we'll see how it goes but bringing along the proper neoprene one to. better hot than in pain.
1713474089191.gif

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
yea exactly - same spot every time on that first ab under my chest. takes like one session to open that fkr up and then im in pain the rest of the trip. rashies, t shirts, nothing works except straight up neoprene. I rarely ever get a chance to trunk it at home so my skin hates the friction and have never been able to toughen it up. im also relatively pale - dont tan - so i need all the UV protection i can get

I was literally dying in el sal last year in the jacket i have so i just picked up a 1m billabong jacket thats more like a thick rashgaurd but with this unique sorta padded, ribbed material. i dunno? we'll see how it goes but bringing along the proper neoprene one to. better hot than in pain.
Sounds like we got the same issue, never got it as a kid growing up in Florida, I now have two abrasion scars from where it happens. Started on a trip in 2008 to El Salvador, and now a buddy is starting to get it.

Recently the YouTube algorithm pushed this video to me, and I think this is why it started as I aged, kind of the way my rib cage has settled over half a century...I have not done anything he suggests, as I would expect some other problem to arise.

Grab a pack of Moleskin at the pharmacy, I think it may be the answer, it helped last year in El Salvador as well and you're right once it opens up you're fxck'd!

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Sounds like we got the same issue, never got it as a kid growing up in Florida, I now have two abrasion scars from where it happens. Started on a trip in 2008 to El Salvador, and now a buddy is starting to get it.

Recently the YouTube algorithm pushed this video to me, and I think this is why it started as I aged, kind of the way my rib cage has settled over half a century...I have not done anything he suggests, as I would expect some other problem to arise.

Grab a pack of Moleskin at the pharmacy, I think it may be the answer, it helped last year in El Salvador as well and you're right once it opens up you're fxck'd!

grabbing the moleskin for sure - use to use it religiously on my feet when doing lots of hiking in places like havasu pai where once youre there - thats it. hurting - tough sh!t, you still gotta walk your ass outa there lol. appreciate the reminder!

interesting vid too - i dont really have that posture issue and i guess id be concerned with it changing the way i lay/paddle on the board and dont really want to mess with that tbh but youre correct in that i too never had this issue when i was a teenager. skin just gets thinner as we age i reckon and i barely have any body fat to begin with.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

Get the rib guard on amazon. Wear a tshirt. Really helps. Better than the gay looking ribbed rashguard. Wear it religiously on Mex trips. I ice my ribs at night after surfing too. Get the ice packs you can fill with ice cubes. Screenshot_20240421_134312_Chrome.jpg

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Get the rib guard on amazon. Wear a tshirt. Really helps. Better than the gay looking ribbed rashguard. Wear it religiously on Mex trips. I ice my ribs at night after surfing too. Get the ice packs you can fill with ice cubes. View attachment 178527
Thanks for the idea, I had it, not the cure for me. I believe what's happening is anything that allows for movement = friction against my skin: rash guard, rubber, Ribby, in tropical water creates a sore. I literally need something that sticks to my skin as a 'frictionless' barrier.
-it really only occurs in tropical water, the warmth is like a meat tenderizer softening my skin way more than my 40 degree temps currently. Maybe a slow increase in water temps would help?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the idea, I had it, not the cure for me. I believe what's happening is anything that allows for movement = friction against my skin: rash guard, rubber, Ribby, in tropical water creates a sore. I literally need something that sticks to my skin as a 'frictionless' barrier.
-it really only occurs in tropical water, the warmth is like a meat tenderizer softening my skin way more than my 40 degree temps currently. Maybe a slow increase in water temps would help?
Aquaphor in strategic places? I rub it all over my dick, balls, and thighs and in my ass crack...all the places I get chafed..and no rash.

Reactions: MathDebater

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Take some antihistamine too
If you have a reaction to the fucking sea lice you will be bummed without it
I stand by Sea Safe sunscreen. It has worked for me every trip. Sea lice used to light me up. The only thing that ever takes the itch away is hot water. I would come back from Mexico and be tore up. I would sit in the hot tub 5 times a day for 20 minutes.

Reactions: scdad

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Take some antihistamine too
If you have a reaction to the fucking sea lice you will be bummed without it
They got sea lice there? Growing in Florida, every spring like clockwork, when waves were good. Like poison ivy all over my inner thighs. Good idea on the antihistamine

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
so many setups out there its crazy. or is it crazy im limiting myself to one and its a left? :foreheadslap: :roflmao:
if you are a goofy and competent maccas is heaven Staying there you are guranz to have a couple not so crowded sessions. Its an easy lineup to get waves in as well.

Other waves nearby. The camp should be able to boat you to them.
Roxies right is a super fun wave when its on. Very low risk factor.
Surfing ROXIES (Right) & MACARRONIS (Left) - October (youtube.com)

Thunders always has swell.
Greenbush and Rags if you are one of those nuttychargers.

Lots of other options too. You are going to score.

Last edited:
Reactions: CutnSnip