My first pilgrimage to Mecca

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
What surf reports are people looking at. Got Surfline, cam at 4Bobs now, "Flat" or 0 - 1' and seems to most always be plenty bigger than that.
-BankVaults 3' - 4' today...

Any of this to be trusted?
ive just been looking at windy.com with swell highlighted. id imagine surfline is worhtless out there until the buoys pick something up. if you press play, looks like windy is noticing the bump on the 21st as well.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
ive just been looking at windy.com with swell highlighted. id imagine surfline is worhtless out there until the buoys pick something up. if you press play, looks like windy is noticing the bump on the 21st as well.
Cool thanks, didn't know about this site, a lot of data, swell period really picks up later this week!

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
mon tues already downgraded / hopefully some spots in ments are 5 ft for you

long range looks tidak bagus

• Sad
Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I bringing my hooded 5/4. :socrazy:
I brought a buell float suit and tried to wear it one HUGE day at a shallow shallow spot last year. It was way too hot and I felt like a clown.

Then the horizon went black and we all did the oh sh!t sprint paddle outside.
Entire lineup got rolled by the set.

I have to say the thing did its JOB :ROFLMAO:

popped right out the back and didnt even feel like I got worked. My buddy was not as lucky and got to take a tour of the inside reef. I promptly tucked tail and got back to the boat.

:roflmao:

Reactions: TheEl

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I brought a buell float suit and tried to wear it one HUGE day at a shallow shallow spot last year. It was way too hot and I felt like a clown.

Then the horizon went black and we all did the oh sh!t sprint paddle outside.
Entire lineup got rolled by the set.

I have to say the thing did its JOB :ROFLMAO:

popped right out the back and didnt even feel like I got worked. My buddy was not as lucky and got to take a tour of the inside reef. I promptly tucked tail and got back to the boat.

:roflmao:
Got any picture of you wearing that :LOL:

I've considered bring an old leaky spring suit, I think it will be suffocating.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Got any picture of you wearing that :LOL:

I've considered bring an old leaky spring suit, I think it will be suffocating.
forgot I wore it a second time after a bunch of bintangs with a gath :roflmao:
found a hilarious video with me yelling about 100 foot wave , too incriminating to share but here is a screen cap
I think if you had holes in the suit it would work , it’s better to just surf and try not worry about the reef. Plus chics dig scars
IMG_1415.jpeg

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
forgot I wore it a second time after a bunch of bintangs with a gath :roflmao:
found a hilarious video with me yelling about 100 foot wave , too incriminating to share but here is a screen cap
I think if you had holes in the suit it would work , it’s better to just surf and try not worry about the reef. Plus chics dig scars
View attachment 178262
Wow! That is Tow In at Teahupoo! Helmet is good though! :shaka:

Yeah I got neoprene vest, so likely leave the spring suit at home.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
haha im already anxious about having to wear a 1mm jacket but im pale af and i get the hole in the chest after one day if i dont so ill be sweating for sure.
Hole in the chest, like rash rub? I get two open sores, in the tropics, bottom of rib cage: left side & right side from the friction rubbing while paddling. Even with rash guard (even the Ribby Rash Guard) or neoprene vest. I think the warm water has a meat tenderizing affect.

I think I found a way to alleviate/mitigate it, using moleskin. Cut in patches and adhere it to the two spots, has help quiet a bit.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I usually have the same issue of my rib bone zone rubbing raw on trips to the tropics but somehow in the ments It didnt happen at all. My theory is, leading up to the trip out there I was wearing as little neoprene as possible at home here in southern california so that area had been somewhat conditioned where as previously I had never done that. Also clocked the most time in the water out there I ever had, one 6 hour+ day. Granted, it was overcast most the time we were there. If it were full sun all day and as hot as it usually is I doubt I could have pulled that off.

Reactions: CutnSnip

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
total overkill. A vest is fine. I do like the helmet for super shallow spots but its a personal preference
Thanks, I'll bail on the spring suit and bringing a Gath helmet, did R&D it around here at my local breaks, thing is great, no bucket head, actually kind of floats you when under water.

Reactions: santacruzin

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Hole in the chest, like rash rub? I get two open sores, in the tropics, bottom of rib cage: left side & right side from the friction rubbing while paddling. Even with rash guard (even the Ribby Rash Guard) or neoprene vest. I think the warm water has a meat tenderizing affect.

I think I found a way to alleviate/mitigate it, using moleskin. Cut in patches and adhere it to the two spots, has help quiet a bit.
yea exactly - same spot every time on that first ab under my chest. takes like one session to open that fkr up and then im in pain the rest of the trip. rashies, t shirts, nothing works except straight up neoprene. I rarely ever get a chance to trunk it at home so my skin hates the friction and have never been able to toughen it up. im also relatively pale - dont tan - so i need all the UV protection i can get

I was literally dying in el sal last year in the jacket i have so i just picked up a 1m billabong jacket thats more like a thick rashgaurd but with this unique sorta padded, ribbed material. i dunno? we'll see how it goes but bringing along the proper neoprene one to. better hot than in pain.