Mushy overhead beachbreak: egg or sleeker midlength single fin?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
thanks for the suggestions. Those of you pulling for a mini Simmons in overhead North Coast beachbreak: how does it paddle in shitty currents? part of the fun of surfing here.
It depends on how short you're going.

Short and fat doesn't paddle too well.

That said, I rode my 5'2 in areas between Humboldt and Crescent City and enjoyed it.

I would imagine a CyberSim paddles quite well. Email Richard Kenvin via the Hydrodynamica website - he rides that board often and he will respond.

Again, you could also contact Christenson.

IMO either of these boards would fit the bill - and they won't feel like a huge transition from your typical thruster.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done

:roflmao:

I know. It's 7'3", EPS, light, catches waves like a "HP" longboard and drives like a hooked up twin fin. Consecutive 11 o'clock lip hits, full wrap to foam ball bounce cutbacks, s-turns through sections that have backed off entirely and it will even noseride a little. Makes waves you ordinarily wouldn't bother with fun and rides around in my truck with a 5'11" on top of it. People keep paddling up to me confused going, "How long is that board?" Easter egg funboard jokes aside, the thing is working ridiculously well.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
http://www.stretchboards.com/boards/surfboards/it/

http://www.finelinesurfboards.com/mp.html

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I live in close proximity to a certain nor~cen~cal beachbreak that has many of the characteristics you mention.

I vote for the midlength craft and think that anyone suggesting you surf a mini simmons in overhead surf of the type we get (bad, lots of paddling) is on drugs.

I have a 7'4" 2+1 egg that is lots of fun from inside bar baby waves to outside bar mushburgers:

http://instagr.am/p/BUmN4KMFhQL/
I ride more modern boards most of the time and dig the feel of the 2+1 to get a little more trim oriented, but I would love to try something more rippabable like the Stretch IT or that monstrosity GWS posted.

I got this board to fill a similar niche as you -- either when its small and crowded or bigger and mushy. Soft rails most of the way and then a hard edge / foiled tail. V to single to double to give it a big more action off the tail. It definitely surfs more aggressively than I expected -- really fun to put on rail and bring around, especially in bigger surf. The bigger center fin definitely feels rad off the bottom when you have a big face to project across.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
i like the looks of that Roberts; what about a midlength fish with foiled rails and perhaps a bit less relative width than a short, traditional fish? that could be really fun.

sakana_kid

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 24, 2009
GWS said:

I know. It's 7'3", EPS, light, catches waves like a "HP" longboard and drives like a hooked up twin fin. Consecutive 11 o'clock lip hits, full wrap to foam ball bounce cutbacks, s-turns through sections that have backed off entirely and it will even noseride a little. Makes waves you ordinarily wouldn't bother with fun and rides around in my truck with a 5'11" on top of it. People keep paddling up to me confused going, "How long is that board?" Easter egg funboard jokes aside, the thing is working ridiculously well.
Damn! A dialed in twinzer set up on that mid length Roberts sounds and looks sick!

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I like the looks of that 2+1 thekadvang posted. What differences will I see with a 2+1 versus a single?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The basic fish template was more about the long carve that doing any turning - you compensate by going short so you can overpower it. The long fish never made any sense for anything other than small wave gliding.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I think the midlength is the way to go, just keep it eggy and foiled not "short longboard/ magic carpet style". Kadvangs looks lovely and is a great reference

I'd definitely get it with a box and plugs, you can always ride it as a single that way too. Personally I wouldn't though!

In broad terms, a single fin will tend to pivot in turns a bit more whereas a 2 +1 will allow you to draw your turns out more and carve and project out of bottom turns which helps cover the ground you need to in sectiony or mushy waves.

Also a single fin tends to lose speed through a cutback whereas a 2+1 will drive more through the turn and maintain speed which is better in those kind of waves. Trust me a proper wrapped cutback on a 2+1 egg feels amazing!

Finally, if you need to pump to make it over a flat spot or past a walling section, a 2+1 does that better.

Using your rails more and having a flexy single fin goes some way to improving these areas on a single fin but the 2+1 will perform better.

This is my Howard special

6'10 and so much fun in shoulder plus. It's only downside is that it doesn't generate speed that well since its roll into panel vee which is why i'd suggest some single into vee'd double in the bottom of yours.

This is the 7'10 I posted above which has concaves and is VERY fast in mushy beachbreak. Surprisingly loose for it's length too.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
GWS said:

if not going with a short and stubby, this thing has my vote

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
An round pin egg with more foiled rails is my call. I’m partial to single fins, but a 2+1 or even a tri seems like they’d/do work great.

I like the looks of jory’s purple board a lot. I have a 7’6” chris birch that fits this pretty good, similar to board posted. Always surprised how well that board turns.

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
+1 for eggy outline with a pulled in swallow tail and no center fin.. also have found flat bottoms or slight convex is faster/more efficient in slower conditions. keep it under 8 feet and it can still be duckdived..

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Felt up the Fun 1 at a shop. Its pretty foiled, kinda HP rails, not beefy. Felt like alot of fun...1

bobsacamano

OTF status
Apr 9, 2016
I like my 6'10 FCD Huevo in the conditions you describe. Enough board to paddle/get waves easily, but not a boat. Really love that outline, pulled in a bit more than most eggs.

win-win

Michael Peterson status
Jul 12, 2007
+1 on an egg. I dig Mani's egg.

You might also do ok with a bit oversized keel too.