Mushy overhead beachbreak: egg or sleeker midlength single fin?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
erBB,

Having some trouble figuring out exactly what I want. I have this idea in mind of something like this: https://thesqueegeelife.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/pcc-mid-length/

I have plenty of boards for when the waves are pumping, but not enough for our more common days where it's chest high to well overhead, onshore, and mushy. The days where you paddle in, and can't really get any power generated out of turns or hit the lip even though the peak you dropped into is 4-8 feet. And then there's a hole in the sandbar you have to glide over to get to the inside bar.

NorCal beachbreak the other 90% of the time.

So how would a single fin mid length work? My shaper was talking up a more modern, more eggy shape instead, but said he'd make the "retro" single fin if I wanted one. Do I want a wide point forward of center? What about rails? I'm in uncharted territory for me here, help me out.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
get a super stubby quad that can be turned!!!!!!!!!! that old "loaf" board i had....work in nothing...but it became a friggin bug with a Porsche motor once it got into the conditions you mention, not ideal for holding rail..but you looking to have fun in non-performance conditions or you looking to pull off the impossible?

Oct 19, 2017
South Coast, UK
Last time I had fun in those conditions was on borrowed 2+1 magic carpet, about 7'6, soft rails, WPF, nice pulled in rounded pintail. just about zero rocker, so got in EARLY and went fast, especially when you stepped forward. still turned well too! and right on the tail would still stall into a little tube... (low tide glass off at the end of the day: noodle arms) good board

that being said it was a point rather than beachy so very little duckdiving (absolute BITCH to get under, although I'm not a big guy) and I had nearly as much fun on my keel fish

which leads me onto my second recommendation... a mini simmons. never really ridden one but I used to surf with a couple of guys who used them in the sort of conditions you're on about, and they always went better than the stubby quad/2+1 egg I use when at home. Think it's something to do with the hulled nose, they find a bit more power in the wave than you'd ordinarily expect

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Egg template is a good call I think. We get these conditions a lot here. Midlength gets you paddle speed for actually getting out back and into waves (make sure its well foiled out esp in the nose so you can duck dive it though) Fairly relaxed rocker helps too.

Personally I would suggest 2 +1 instead of single fin so you can actually pump it up and down to generate speed in the mush. A single fin wont do that as well even with a flex fin.

Some vee'd double concave rather than panel vee in the back third helps too.

I'd be looking at something similar to the howard special mini template with concaves in the bottom.

The other thing that worts great in those conditions is something like a mandala superchunk. (which is kinda a performance mini simmons quad kinda deal) Generates tommes of speed and can lay down some great turns. Surfed short though so quite a mission to paddle out in sizeable beachbreak unless there are handy rips

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
I have a 7'8 x 20 3/8 x 2 5/8 twinzer winter egg with a super pulled in tail shaped by one of the stretch guys that you could take for a spin. Not for sale (ever!) but it is very fun in the conditions you described. I actually end up grabbing this board way more than I thought I would-any time there is size but the tide is high, or it is doing that offshore-but-back-off thing, or there are flat spots, this thing is just bank, bank,fade, glide, run!

LMK if you want to give it a go for research purposes.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I got something shaped exactly like this- Howard Mini template with some double concaves through the fins. Works really well. Mine has maybe a touch more nose rocker than you'd want but it come in handy when the wave sucks up a bit. 2 + 1 setup.

I would also echo others suggestions for a short wide tailed quad. My Lost Bottom Feeder eats up conditions like this, higher tide and soft with some fun sections here and there separated by flat spots.

Jory said:
Egg template is a good call I think. We get these conditions a lot here. Midlength gets you paddle speed for actually getting out back and into waves (make sure its well foiled out esp in the nose so you can duck dive it though) Fairly relaxed rocker helps too.

Personally I would suggest 2 +1 instead of single fin so you can actually pump it up and down to generate speed in the mush. A single fin wont do that as well even with a flex fin.

Some vee'd double concave rather than panel vee in the back third helps too.

I'd be looking at something similar to the howard special mini template with concaves in the bottom.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'd second the mini Simmons. You're going to need one that can hold a bit thought, overhead surf might get a bit squirrely. Talk to Christenson.

The Hydrodynamica Cybersim would also be another good option.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I was going to say a Howard Mini or something similar.
I have a Joel Fitzgerald 7' x 20 3/4 x 2 5/8 Sea Gypsy that has a 2+1 set up that can be ridden as a single fin. Sensational in smaller and/or fuller waves. Has the paddle power and speed of a log but turns like a short board. You are not going to be banging it off the top but you will make sections that you never dreamed of. Great point break board up to well OH.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
erBB,

Having some trouble figuring out exactly what I want. I have this idea in mind of something like this: https://thesqueegeelife.wordpress.com/2013/02/16/pcc-mid-length/

I have plenty of boards for when the waves are pumping, but not enough for our more common days where it's chest high to well overhead, onshore, and mushy. The days where you paddle in, and can't really get any power generated out of turns or hit the lip even though the peak you dropped into is 4-8 feet. And then there's a hole in the sandbar you have to glide over to get to the inside bar.

So how would a single fin mid length work? My shaper was talking up a more modern, more eggy shape instead, but said he'd make the "retro" single fin if I wanted one. Do I want a wide point forward of center? What about rails? I'm in uncharted territory for me here, help me out.
I have had the same query, but don't think I have found the general solution. Even with the conditions you described the other variables will affect how the board will work. eg how much push the waves have, how the bars are working and how the waves are breaking on the bars.

My 7' Vaquero works well if there is not too much energy and not pitching hard and sucking out on the take-off. I have tried my 7'10 Serena Pocket Rocket which gets in early enough to pull in under the lip, but if the shoulder mushes out you are left with nothing and can't turn it back to try to make the reform.

I have been thinking of a mid-7' wide point forward pulled in tail. The board you posted looks like it would work but is so not sexy. Maybe a Russ Short Bonzer with modern rails and rocker.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
heelnipstr said:
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
erBB,

I have had the same query, but don't think I have found the general solution. Even with the conditions you described the other variables will affect how the board will work. eg how much push the waves have, how the bars are working and how the waves are breaking on the bars.

My 7' Vaquero works well if there is not too much energy and not pitching hard and sucking out on the take-off. I have tried my 7'10 Serena Pocket Rocket which gets in early enough to pull in under the lip, but if the shoulder mushes out you are left with nothing and can't turn it back to try to make the reform.

I have been thinking of a mid-7' wide point forward pulled in tail. The board you posted looks like it would work but is so not sexy. Maybe a Russ Short Bonzer with modern rails and rocker.
The general solution is you shouldn't make fun of people with Down Syndrome.

You still haven't learned that, even as an adult.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
casa_mugrienta said:
heelnipstr said:
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
erBB,

The general solution is you shouldn't make fun of people with Down Syndrome.

You still haven't learned that, even as an adult.
clueless troll, and leave it there as you try to fck up another thread.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Parmenter malolo

Fast rocker , chine rails that are like a hot knife through butter in all conditions, pulled in nose so ya don't get hung up and can duck dive, plenty of forward trim and can still be turned hard off the hind leg .

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
thanks for the suggestions. Those of you pulling for a mini Simmons in overhead North Coast beachbreak: how does it paddle in shitty currents? part of the fun of surfing here.

pee pee, i'm interested in trying that twinzer out. the problem, of course, is working up the motivation to travel an hour to go surf shitty mushy waves for research purposes.

heel nipster, i was considering a vaqero. people seem to love them.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Am sure it is just me, but I find single fins in beach-break sub optimal, even in the soft stuff because sooner or later, I end up needing to react fast and single fins don't react fast enough for me,,,,. maybe if I planned ahead better....

However Friend #1 rides his single fin long board in all manners of surf, and makes it works, and I know I've see others ride singles, so why not.

I've tried a SImmon-esque type board, and I didn't like it much. They seem to like smooth conditions and tend to bounce when not so clean. I like more volume to aid in paddling than increased width.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
I just picked this up from Brian Bulkley. I call it the Pickle but I think he calls it his Sli Stinger or something like that. I got it for similar conditions to what you described plus mid 50s dimensions. It is 6'6 x 21 5/8 (?) x 2 5/8(?). I dont remember the specific width or thickness, i just got it and have had it out a few times. It has been pretty small the last few days but it glides so easily into the waves, plus with the forward width i can inch up on the nose when i am paddling. For the length, i have found that it has the glide trim similar to a LB, i was able to get a few cheater 5s on some of the runners. The stinger tail allows you to be able to turn when standing in the middle of the board, i was able to pump and pivot like on my shorter boards. Its worked really well in mushy non ideal conditions, just as long as there is room to run, this thing keeps going.

Just wanted to share, been a while since i posted. BB was as usual great to work with, i put the order in around Thanksgiving and got it around Christmas. If i hadnt gotten sick, would have had more sessions on it.

[img:left]http://forum.surfer.com/photopost/uploads/14904/Pickle2.jpg[/img]
[img:left]http://forum.surfer.com/photopost/uploads/14904/Pickle1.jpg[/img]

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site

This is the kind of mini sim I'm suggesting. 5'4 x 20.5 x 2.4, much more foiled and thinner than a classic mini Simmons. Still has that same speed generation but thinner rails mean you can actually bury them in a turn and less volume means you lose the corkiness. This board I use in anything from junky chest high up to overhead (proper junk like Florida style) and it flies. I've got a couple of eggs too which draw longer glidier lines

That said, although they paddle well compared to a regular shortboard, a mid length egg shape is going to paddle way better.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site

This is 7'10 and still duckdivabLe for my 155lb frame (just). Paddles as well as some progressive rocketed out longboards I've ridden but is much more fun to actually surf.

This gets used in the same kind of waves if I'm after a different feel/ it's crowded with longboards or I'm feeling lazy / unfit

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Oh yes Professor SliDawg. You can find him here https://www.instagram.com/sli_dawg/

Or book a trip to tavi and surf with him.