Moving San Diego

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
So for the SD surfers, help a transplant out.

What is the best shop to find off the rack boards for the bigger surfer? I hate doing customs and need a grovel/small wave board. I brought some of my Hawaii quiver to SD and quickly realized a small wave Hawaii board isn't the same thing as a small wave SD board.

I'm 6'2 and 230. I've went by a few random shops when out with my kids and they were more clothing shops than anything and had a few boards for the average sized person. What's my best bet? Looking for a 40L+ board.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto

What is the best shop to find off the rack boards for the bigger surfer? I hate doing customs and need a grovel/small wave board. I brought some of my Hawaii quiver to SD and quickly realized a small wave Hawaii board isn't the same thing as a small wave SD board.

I'm 6'2 and 230. I've went by a few random shops when out with my kids and they were more clothing shops than anything and had a few boards for the average sized person. What's my best bet? Looking for a 40L+ board.
Try Surf Ride in Solana. Hansens prolly worth a look too.

Reactions: sdsrfr and oeste858

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Surf Ride in Oceanside has a good amount of boards. If your hitting Boardsource I'd say continue north and swing by there also.

Hansen's is located in a convenient spot to walk around with family if you haven't been around Encinitas.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
If you’re looking for a glider, hit Bird’s Surf Shed and Birdrock Surf shop. Both shops might have some bigger guy fishes or mini sim shapes too.

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Go straight to the source in Oceanside (pyzel/hayden,etc, plenty of shapers/brands to choose from as a separate entity) prior to the costco surf shops (no matter how core they are there prices aint), there is a different type of bargaining potential, sometimes significant depending on the employee and the surplus of inventory, more likely you score a better deal and save enough for fins/pad/etc and still be under what you would have paid at a traditional/generic surf shop...happy hunting

Reactions: john4surf

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Surf Ride and Hansens have the biggest selections of new boards. I prefer the Oceanside Surf Ride. Also don't forget to check out resale shops like Board Source, Surfboard Broker, etc. There's a few more but I'm having trouble remembering them.

As mentioned above, Pyzel factory in Oceanside if you already ride them and know what you want. They stock a ton of boards.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I know you hate customs but I can DM you the number of a ghost shaper who did a 42L for me. For SD add like 5 liters. He was cheap, it was worth it.

Reactions: john4surf

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
San Diego. Broke into garage. $1000+ bicycle stolen.

But doggie got belly rubs.

That would be my dog. The one time my garage got left open and a bike, board, and wetsuit got boosted she slept through the whole damn thing.