Moving San Diego

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Beaches at high tide, reefs at low, the rest you will figure out.

San Diego has excellent surf once you get it dialed. Nothing really "world class", but extremely fun.

Also, apply now for your Sentri Pass. It will give you full access to day trips to Northern Baja without having to wait in the border traffic. You will thank me.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
have to caution you - in my experience, not many people who move to San Diego stay in San Diego. Usually it’s 2-3yrs tops.

most of these peeps I knew who came and left are from Midwest but I also know some islanders who came out to checkout the mainland in their college years and ultimately went back to the islands long term.

most common reason I’ve heard for leaving is they had issues mingling with the locals making new friends. most of their friends were also imports who eventually left and so they left too.

Reactions: PRCD

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
have to caution you - in my experience, not many people who move to San Diego stay in San Diego.
Yeah, it's an intentionally temporary thing. We're gonna stay a year while she ties up some family related stuff. Life isn't simple.

waaaaaay outta this guys league
I think we make a beautiful couple.
Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 3.12.11 PM.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
have to caution you - in my experience, not many people who move to San Diego stay in San Diego. Usually it’s 2-3yrs tops.

most of these peeps I knew who came and left are from Midwest but I also know some islanders who came out to checkout the mainland in their college years and ultimately went back to the islands long term.

most common reason I’ve heard for leaving is they had issues mingling with the locals making new friends. most of their friends were also imports who eventually left and so they left too.
I think this is pretty much everywhere now, at least desirable locations with stuff to do.

But I don't know anyone with a steady job that leaves.

Why would they move back to the shitholes they left?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think this is pretty much everywhere now, at least desirable locations with stuff to do.

But I don't know anyone with a steady job that leaves.

Why would they move back to the shitholes they left?
of the folks i know who left - they think people from California are assholes.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've never understood this opinion.

Especially coming from people from the East Coast, or east of the Mississippi in general.
Californians are unfriendly compared to many other states, especially the Midwest and South. We could speculate as to why in another section of the forum.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Many come back here(Maryland) because there too much assfuggery being a surfer AND a working citizen in southern California.
There is a bunch of oblivious folks here scrambling for the shoulder, but the shoulder is closer most of the time, other times what shoulder?
This thread is hard to believe I wish I had those problems sometimes. A younger man's game.
Enjoy.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wouldn't that be funny if you move to SD and you guys broke up?
Honestly, there's so many pretty girls in SD. You would be fine. If I was single, I'd just hang out at trader joes. Jeez.

Agree with others about the So County / NCSD divide at the I-805 + I-5 junction for traffic clusterf-ck. You don't want to cross that commuting every day.
Coastal real estate rentals are pricey everywhere in SD. If she is from here and wants Encinitas, it goes back pretty far inland, which I assume would be much cheaper, but still just a quick trip to beach.
All the beach towns have homeless, but some worse than others.
You may get bored with the surf quality but there's always something to surf. Could always take up foiling, etc. There's tons of stuff to do and can be outdoors year round. Mountains or desert 1-3 hours away.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about Mid-South County.
...or if you want to borrow a boar!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Maybe I am kind of a loner but who needs alot of friends? Big groups are drama. If you are an adult with a good career and you like where you live, you gotta be a retard to move because you don't have a big circle of friends.
It's normal for adult males to be more solitary creatures.

It's a product of our evolution.

We generally make friends only through common interests.

Women need to make emotional bonds with other females.

Reactions: nimby

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Honestly, there's so many pretty girls in SD. You would be fine. If I was single, I'd just hang out at trader joes. Jeez.

Agree with others about the So County / NCSD divide at the I-805 + I-5 junction for traffic clusterf-ck. You don't want to cross that commuting every day.
Coastal real estate rentals are pricey everywhere in SD. If she is from here and wants Encinitas, it goes back pretty far inland, which I assume would be much cheaper, but still just a quick trip to beach.
You may get bored with the surf quality but there's always something to surf. Could always take up foiling, etc. There's tons of stuff to do and can be outdoors year round. Mountains or desert 1-3 hours away.
This. Exactly. Plus, whoever said you won't find good Mexican food in San Diego is smoking crack. San Diego has the best Mexican food this side of the border, you just need to know who to ask.

PM me as well if you ever want to meet up for a surf or(heaven forbid) borrow a log for small days.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com

Inland Encinitas as in east of the train tracks and west of Olivenheim? I prefer Carlsbad, it's a real town with outstanding infrastructure, a cool Train Station, a good mix of jetties, reef breaks, that you can Bike to, and reasonably clean water. Encinitas requires you to park in a couple of tiny parking lots and hike down and up a hundred steps just to surf.

Today's lunch was at Point Loma Seafood. I recommend it. And don't forget to pick up a couple of pounds of smoked Halibut.
._MG_4563 (2).JPG

Ocean Beach rental. (OB Spaceman's old cottage)

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
More things to remember:
1. The closer you live to a surf spot, the more local you are.
2. If you move away, you lose all your local rights.
3. Sometimes you can be outed if you are riding a nonlocal board.
4. If you live east of I-5, you will be called a Val.
5. Surprisingly, still got secret spots.
6. Bioluminescence is pretty cool.
7. You can legally drink in the Windansea parking lot. That's what BA told me anyway.