Morning of the Earth

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
man that really sucks...all that time and money...and you basically get stiffed
Don't feel totally stiffed cos I originally only ordered an AuGoGo. Then a month later (back in September 2021), I tried my friend's Massive, so asked to add that to the order. At the time, they said I couldn't add a board, but I could change it to a Massive, so I did. The boards were due in April 2022, but that passed and my friend checked in to see how they were doing in July. They said the boards were next in line to be shaped. A month passed, then another month, and another...then at the end of November, I checked in again to see if they had lost the boards down the back of the sofa. Simon said they had. He said it was due to a mixup with a "new ordering process" or something. He said he would get them done ASAP. Sometime in December, well...it's a long story, but basically they had made the Massive and the AuGoGo, but they had forgotten about my friend's Fiji...Anyway, they'll all be shipped next week, and then get smashed before they arrive...probably.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
man that really sucks...all that time and money...and you basically get stiffed
This is why I stay away from whatever's hot at the moment.

When your orders are two years out the quality of the product and getting the order right becomes irrelevant.

You're the latest trend, you know it, and you know it won't last long anyway. You have a stack full of deposits. Might as well make the loot while you can even if the quality suffers and you **** off a few customers.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
This is why I stay away from whatever's hot at the moment.

When your orders are two years out the quality of the product and getting the order right becomes irrelevant.

You're the latest trend, you know it, and you know it won't last long anyway. You have a stack full of deposits. Might as well make the loot while you can even if the quality suffers and you **** off a few customers.
Simon doesn't come across as that kinda guy. The communication was genuine and he was apologetic about all the mixups. I think he's just a bit overwhelmed. The first guy who took the order seemed a bit loose, but then he left the scene and his son got involved...

Like most of our favourite surfer shapers, he's not a business man, man.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Simon doesn't come across as that kinda guy. The communication was genuine and he was apologetic about all the mixups. I think he's just a bit overwhelmed. The first guy who took the order seemed a bit loose, but then he left the scene and his son got involved...

Like most of our favourite surfer shapers, he's not a business man, man.
You will be stocked on these boars. Ignore the negativity and fun with them. Simon and what he has done is a positive to surfing.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Tried ordering one through Kirk in LA, had a call with him and several emails. Was told I'm in the production cue but that was many months ago and haven't heard since. Got a Ghost Ghobra and figure if one day I get a phone or an email from MOTE, it will be a surprise gift. In the meantime I've ridden the Ghobra in the big CA surf in January, mainland Mex and Bali and I'm digging it.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
He shapes every board himself, hence the long wait. He is a busy man. The boards are beautiful, surf well and are quality all around. Worth the wait IMHO. If you cant wait get one of the many knock offs.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Tried ordering one through Kirk in LA, had a call with him and several emails. Was told I'm in the production cue but that was many months ago and haven't heard since. Got a Ghost Ghobra and figure if one day I get a phone or an email from MOTE, it will be a surprise gift. In the meantime I've ridden the Ghobra in the big CA surf in January, mainland Mex and Bali and I'm digging it.
What size ghobra did you get ?Hows the quality of construction ? Does the board work well for intended purpose ?

Reactions: SD_Dan

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
6'4 x 20.25 x 2.5 triple stringer, channel bottom.

Construction is very good. It's got a volan deck patch. After 2 months of pretty heavy use and several plane flights some deck dents on either side of the triple stringers and a harline crack near one of the fin boxes but otherwise perfect. The crack near the fin box hasn't gotten any worse over time so I'm kind of ignoring.

It works great. My intention was to have something for travel and as a step up to the egg I've been riding a lot. Surfed it at Huntington on the Christmas week swell and in seal beach during the January 6th and January 13th swells and then down in Mainland mex the following week on basically the same swell. So both beach break and some left and right points. Very easy to surf and no issues on steeper waves as easy to surf backside as frontside.

Then took it to Bali and surfed small Uluwatu and decent Keramas and another right on the east coast and it worked really well. Was going to pull out my Pyzel Ghost at Keramas one day as it was a little heavier and steeper but stuck with the Ghobra and had an all time session there. Sat deep and picked off some really good ones. Dug the nose once coming off a top turn on a steep section due to the flattish rocker but adjusted and it didn't happen again.

So full marks for the Ghobra. Also can't say enough how great the people at Ghost shapes were to deal with. Told me 6-8 weeks and it was done right at the 8 week mark. Called me before it went to the glasser to verify I didn't want color and how I wanted it glassed. Outstanding communication all around and a pleasure to deal with.

What size ghobra did you get ?Hows the quality of construction ? Does the board work well for intended purpose ?

Attachments

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014

Construction is very good. It's got a volan deck patch. After 2 months of pretty heavy use and several plane flights some deck dents on either side of the triple stringers and a harline crack near one of the fin boxes but otherwise perfect. The crack near the fin box hasn't gotten any worse over time so I'm kind of ignoring.

It works great. My intention was to have something for travel and as a step up to the egg I've been riding a lot. Surfed it at Huntington on the Christmas week swell and in seal beach during the January 6th and January 13th swells and then down in Mainland mex the following week on basically the same swell. So both beach break and some left and right points. Very easy to surf and no issues on steeper waves as easy to surf backside as frontside.

Then took it to Bali and surfed small Uluwatu and decent Keramas and another right on the east coast and it worked really well. Was going to pull out my Pyzel Ghost at Keramas one day as it was a little heavier and steeper but stuck with the Ghobra and had an all time session there. Sat deep and picked off some really good ones. Dug the nose once coming off a top turn on a steep section due to the flattish rocker but adjusted and it didn't happen again.

So full marks for the Ghobra. Also can't say enough how great the people at Ghost shapes were to deal with. Told me 6-8 weeks and it was done right at the 8 week mark. Called me before it went to the glasser to verify I didn't want color and how I wanted it glassed. Outstanding communication all around and a pleasure to deal with.
Thanks for the review.Dig the triple stringer ,must help with the twin fin boxes not blowing out.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009

That thing is sexy. Great review.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Quick addition, finally got to surf it at home in chest to head high east coast beach break in full gear - 5 mil, boots, gloves, hood, water and air around 45. Paddled great caught a few set waves, thing is smooth as butter. Was very pleased.

Reactions: Woke AF and Aruka