Malcom Campbell Alpha Omega Twin ride report....UPDATE!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm sold...just need to decide whether to get glass ons or not
I would say go glass ons if you are 100% sure how you want to surf twin and have twin experience with hpsb twin. Ole skool twin carve speed bottom turn tuck tube cheater 5 etc MR style fin pattern (MC reccomends TA glass twins) or more top to bottom modern day slide....ie: AMT, Akila Aipa, Stretch. Up right smaller base.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Duffy - nice write up. Def makes me curious for one.

do interpret correctly that you have not previously ridden a bonzer (3 or 5) before, not even mid-session board swap with a buddy?
A long time ago I bought a 9’4 bonzer gun, paddled out at a spot on a day that needed a 9’4 gun.

Caught a wave and and turning off the bottom the thing just broke loose. Felt like the fin came out. Nope.

Second wave, same thing, almost drowned.

Sold it and never tried another bonzer.

I’m also of the opinion that most surfers look better on thrusters than on bonzers.

But, look, as I said in another thread I don’t want to bad mouth bonzers. GWS and I had a back and forth about it years ago and out of respect I do my best to refrain.

I’ll even go so far as to apologize for what I wrote above.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm sold...just need to decide whether to get glass ons or not
I don’t know for sure but I do believe that glass ons really make the fin/bottom connection work like it’s suppose to.

That first wave where I lost grip I wished I could change fins but once I fixed me I’m really glad to have glass ons.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I would say go glass ons if you are 100% sure how you want to surf twin and have twin experience with hpsb twin. Ole skool twin carve speed bottom turn tuck tube cheater 5 etc MR style fin pattern (MC reccomends TA glass twins) or more top to bottom modern day slide....ie: AMT, Akila Aipa, Stretch. Up right smaller base.
TA glass or GTFO!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Great. so now I have to become a bonzer (bottom) guy?!?
Like Duffy above, I've never really thought guys looked better on a bonzer than thruster, so haven't had any interest. But this bottom with a twin setup appeals. Thanks for the review. This is what I come here for. Adding it to the wishlist (just when I thought I was done).
Have to admit, I'm curious for Chandler to chime in...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Great. so now I have to become a bonzer (bottom) guy?!?
Like Duffy above, I've never really thought guys looked better on a bonzer than thruster, so haven't had any interest. But this bottom with a twin setup appeals. Thanks for the review. This is what I come here for. Adding it to the wishlist (just when I thought I was done).
Have to admit, I'm curious for Chandler to chime in...
AO has history not all liked them after trying. The two that stand out for me was bonzer5fin and shhx3...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m also of the opinion that most surfers look better on thrusters than on bonzers.
I agree on this one. when CI put out all those videos of the team riders on bonzers I can’t say I was sold in the slightest.

I have one bonzer5 and bought it as a f-it OTR, not to dissimilar from your AO impulse. I am by no means a bonzer head but there is definitely truth in the design working.

I get a lot of comments when riding it that I hit warp speed seemingly out of nowhere.

anyhow I find your review pretty spot on for a non-bonzer head who is willing to dabble into something different but by large prefers thrusting.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I agree on this one. when CI put out all those videos of the team riders on bonzers I can’t say I was sold in the slightest.

I have one bonzer5 and bought it as a f-it OTR, not to dissimilar from your AO impulse. I am by no means a bonzer head but there is definitely truth in the design working.

I get a lot of comments when riding it that I hit warp speed seemingly out of nowhere.

anyhow I find your review pretty spot on for a non-bonzer head who is willing to dabble into something different but by large prefers thrusting.
That is a bonzer with MC blessing/consulting but not real Duncan, Jacob, or Malcom bonzer and yes I believe in the difference.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Not everyone is going to like a Bonzer or an A/O. Not everyone is going to like any surfboard. There are differences in technique/waves that need accommodation. And this is comparing one world class surfer to another. They may agree, but often they may not. Back when I was younger, I frequently took boards out for a surf and immediately rejected them. The board sucked as far as I was concerned. (I was a pain in the ass) I was in a spot where frequently I could do that and just leave the board in the rack and pull another one out. And another rider pulls the board out and loves it. And the opposite. I grab someone's reject off the used rack and love it. It happens. I think most of us have experienced this. It's part of what makes it interesting. At least it is for me. I've always been fascinated by how things work. If it was all easy and black and white it wouldn't be so intriguing.

And sometimes a surfboard doesn't work for you. How many devoted thruster riders have experienced having a thruster they hate? 100%. Obviously. That happens with twins, quads and yes, even Bonzers. (Yes, I have had a few Bonzers I didn't like) My point here is riding one Bonzer, (or thruster, or twin or whatever) and not liking it and deciding that therefore all Bonzers, or all twins or all thrusters suck would be a less than reasonable conclusion.

But I understand the problem. Especially on a gun. And you are under no obligation to thoroughly investigate each and every design before you conclude that it doesn't work for you. Obviously. But I'm not a surfboard design fascist. Nor is Malcolm. At this point he has people coming from all over the world to get boards from him. And they keep coming back for more. He can't make all the surfboards. He has plenty of work. And believe it nor not, I have a couple of MC bonzer bottomed thrusters. They used to be fairly common around here. You kind of need 805 credentials, but he will still make them. But really, there is so much demand for Bonzers I think it's understandable that he wants to concentrate his efforts there. I'm just kind of pointing out the fact that rejecting a design because you got one specimen you didn't like is perhaps not exactly giving things a fair shake. But these are just toys. We are just big boys playing in the water with toys. Far be it from me to tell you what toy you need to frolic with. Do your thing. Just maybe keep an open mind. Sometimes just feeling something different has value. Sometimes a surfboard has things to teach you if you let it. :unsure:

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
But these are just toys. We are just big boys playing in the water with toys. Far be it from me to tell you what toy you need to frolic with. Do your thing. Just maybe keep an open mind. Sometimes just feeling something different has value. Sometimes a surfboard has things to teach you if you let it. :unsure:
Well said. Lots of fun to feel different sensations after 30+ yrs surfing, and after experimenting a lot I definitely feel more in tune now with what works for me, and what to avoid. Of course everyone is going to like different things but I truly value the honest design advice and board/fin feedback on here. I’ve learned a lot from many of you and now consider things I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: urchined and jkb

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Not everyone is going to like a Bonzer or an A/O. Not everyone is going to like any surfboard. There are differences in technique/waves that need accommodation. And this is comparing one world class surfer to another. They may agree, but often they may not. Back when I was younger, I frequently took boards out for a surf and immediately rejected them. The board sucked as far as I was concerned. (I was a pain in the ass) I was in a spot where frequently I could do that and just leave the board in the rack and pull another one out. And another rider pulls the board out and loves it. And the opposite. I grab someone's reject off the used rack and love it. It happens. I think most of us have experienced this. It's part of what makes it interesting. At least it is for me. I've always been fascinated by how things work. If it was all easy and black and white it wouldn't be so intriguing.

And sometimes a surfboard doesn't work for you. How many devoted thruster riders have experienced having a thruster they hate? 100%. Obviously. That happens with twins, quads and yes, even Bonzers. (Yes, I have had a few Bonzers I didn't like) My point here is riding one Bonzer, (or thruster, or twin or whatever) and not liking it and deciding that therefore all Bonzers, or all twins or all thrusters suck would be a less than reasonable conclusion.

But I understand the problem. Especially on a gun. And you are under no obligation to thoroughly investigate each and every design before you conclude that it doesn't work for you. Obviously. But I'm not a surfboard design fascist. Nor is Malcolm. At this point he has people coming from all over the world to get boards from him. And they keep coming back for more. He can't make all the surfboards. He has plenty of work. And believe it nor not, I have a couple of MC bonzer bottomed thrusters. They used to be fairly common around here. You kind of need 805 credentials, but he will still make them. But really, there is so much demand for Bonzers I think it's understandable that he wants to concentrate his efforts there. I'm just kind of pointing out the fact that rejecting a design because you got one specimen you didn't like is perhaps not exactly giving things a fair shake. But these are just toys. We are just big boys playing in the water with toys. Far be it from me to tell you what toy you need to frolic with. Do your thing. Just maybe keep an open mind. Sometimes just feeling something different has value. Sometimes a surfboard has things to teach you if you let it. :unsure:
I agree here. My issue was I think I had some kind of ptsd from almost getting killed and it was triggered every time i saw a bonzer. My problem, not the design.

On a related note, pretty everyone loves the Fred Rubble and I just couldn’t get it to work.