Malcom Campbell Alpha Omega Twin ride report....UPDATE!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
RIDE REPORT:

Me: 5'9" 155 / mostly ride twin fins and quads
Board: 5'4" x 18 3/4" x 2 3/8" / futures true ames twins
Waves: bad to fun-ish nor-cen-cal beachbreak, knee to chest high

This review is going to echo a lot of the things the DUFF MAN said but here goes.

Hands down one of the craziest feeling boards I have ridden. Extremely loose and probably the fastest I have ever gone in waves of that size and I have been exclusively riding twins for a while.

With that said I do not find it easy to surf. Hard rail + crazy concaves + fins placed up the board makes for a super on top of the water feeling. NOT a board for choppy conditions or flat waves (as said previously).

My first couple of waves were shockers. Trying to surf it like my other twins (read: trying to "rip") had me flying out the back of the wave on almost every turn. Waves where I took Duffy's advice and applied pressure to the concave evenly without going heavy on the back foot as much felt way better. The more I surfed the board, the more I began to feel the water moving through the concaves and giving that squirt and burst of speed. Pretty addicting but definitely hard to master.

I was shocked at how well the board paddles and catches waves -- it hides a lot of foam with the beak nose even at those dims. I was able to catch and do turns on knee to waist high low tide beachbreak runners where most of the crowd was on midlengths or longboards, which is always rad. Even on small waves I had a couple of speed burst feelings coming from WAY behind sections and making them which never fails to provide the stoke.

My take on this board is it's like the sports car of twin fins and I really want to get it into some point surf where I can open it up. Needs space and clean waves to go off. 100% a keeper.
I am hoping to fund a speed egg with alpha omega bottom and fin set up round tail maybe 6'3" x20" x2.5" to go long with my AO 5'8" x19.5" x2.375". I am hoping mid legth twin egg well help transition to my AO and fun small and even bigger days at local beachbreak.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I'm 205 lbs , mines 6-4 21 2 3/4 , it goes with or without me , love the speed , craftsmanship and soul

View attachment 99678
makes you look like you are flailing depsite al the foam. should prob flip it now while the bonzer buzz is still going and people haven't spent all theirchristmas $ yet.

i'll give you $200 and five minutes with one of those clean cut asian boys that have been clogging the lineup out front

Reactions: MathDebater

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
makes you look like you are flailing depsite al the foam. should prob flip it now while the bonzer buzz is still going and people haven't spent all theirchristmas $ yet.

i'll give you $200 and five minutes with one of those clean cut asian boys that have been clogging the lineup out front
sh!t , I haven't laughed for a while after reading that, as a Flailing foam ball Landlocked Canuck cowboy where my daily line up is looking at my cattle and where i might see a soft skin asian is ordering a beef and Broccoli you cracked me up , cheers for that

when you hit 54 years and your best moments are somewhere in the Indian ocean this October and you foam ball into a couple fun waves , eat it a couple times , guys wondering when your coming up for air and you call it a session , hop back on a boat , get an expresso and light up a Camel and Bob Seger is playing turn the page on some speaker , its a good day you Betcha as they say in these parts

thats why i dig the forums , its the people like in any business that make this thing happen make ya laugh smile think and you get to forget about all the covid action cheers

The Champ below

XFBI7959.jpg

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
sh!t , I haven't laughed for a while after reading that, as a Flailing foam ball Landlocked Canuck cowboy where my daily line up is looking at my cattle and where i might see a soft skin asian is ordering a beef and Broccoli you cracked me up , cheers for that

when you hit 54 years and your best moments are somewhere in the Indian ocean this October and you foam ball into a couple fun waves , eat it a couple times , guys wondering when your coming up for air and you call it a session , hop back on a boat , get an expresso and light up a Camel and Bob Seger is playing turn the page on some speaker , its a good day you Betcha as they say in these parts

thats why i dig the forums , its the people like in any business that make this thing happen make ya laugh smile think and you get to forget about all the covid action cheers

The Champ below

View attachment 99694
HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whe we were kids there used to be an older dude (at least 45) who hung out at our pool hall....looked exacty like billy ray cyrus...could catch him about every half hour, sitting alone in his primered toyota truck, having a smoke, bob seger blasting loud enough we coudl hear it despite his closed truck windows. dude never smiled....until he ended up snagging my neighbor's 17 or 18 yr old asian girlfriend!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Watervalley

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
That board is perfect. What do you envision for her? all around daily driver?
‘better‘ wave board. Swallow omega for daily.

There’s a note to move the fins 3/8” up on the card - thought that might be interesting to know (I didn’t request that)

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
If you get a chance, I'm sure there are a bunch of us who would appreciate your thoughts on the ride comparison between the swallow and rp. Thanks and enjoy

There’s a note to move the fins 3/8” up on the card - thought that might be interesting to know (I didn’t request that)

Reactions: rts265

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

MC knows bezt how much bigger is this AO then your other you.ordered? Also how thick is this one?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
MC knows bezt how much bigger is this AO then your other you.ordered? Also how thick is this one?
Yeah. I’m not questioning him at all.

my other is 6’1 x 21.5 I ordered it more narrow but also a mlv and it came out 21.5 which I ended up really liking

both are 2 7/8

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah. I’m not questioning him at all.

my other is 6’1 x 21.5 I ordered it more narrow but also a mlv and it came out 21.5 which I ended up really liking

both are 2 7/8
Are you going to run true ames glass twin set in futures?