'Make or Break' AppleTV

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Didn't see a thread on this, I thought it was pretty decent, could have done a wider scope, but entertaining enough.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
anyone watching Season 2? I binged the 1st 4 eps after the wife and kids went to bed.
Have to say, there are some characters on tour. Could be a whole season just on the Wright family. Jeez.
The Tati narrative was dramatic.
KS crying at his Pipe win. Emotion!
My fave part was Fanno shading Chompers Cibilic blaming the sophomore slump on believing his own hype after a big rookie year and losing the hunger and drive. Me-ow, Mick!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
watched episode 1 and 2. Pretty good but some typically cheese sprinkled into it. I guess you have to expect that. Definitely learn more about the surfers.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I've binged the first 4 episodes of S2 as well. It's a fun watch but a little bubble gummy. It's obvious they are trying to make this show a little more sexy then what we see on the contest broadcasts. More butt shots and such. That is not a complaint! It's also obvious some of the content is manufactured for this series. Case in point, TTW having a beer and chat with Felipe to discuss the hardships of constantly being #2. Yes, I can see the two of them confiding in each other on this. But did they call the camera crew up to tell them they were getting together or was this producer driven? Either way, I'm taking it for what it is and enjoying it.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Best part is the women commenting on Tatiana.

None say she's a good surfer. Not one. At best, they say she's a "tough competitor" and "gritty" and has "determination."

Seems like code for: B*tch.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Apple TV has shown they take most of their content seriously and demand Apple like production value and standards. We‘re enjoying it so far. Plenty of good surfing, learning interesting dramas going on behind the scenes, easy watching…pretty well handled, by the admittedly low standard of mainstream shows about surfing.

I really am not a documentary guy most of the time. But this show has fun flow and doesn’t send it full cheese ball on the surfing stuff

Reactions: sdsrfr and sh3

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
skullet family robinson episode starring the wright family is pretty hilarious...I think its weird that the show uses fake contest calling, it seems like they are taking excerpts from the live commentary but it is totally scripted....almost like a laugh track or something.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I was impressed with Tyler's surfing- well, frontside at least.
And picture quality is incredible compared to watching wsl contests streaming on laptop screen.
Also, the Tati-Moana drama was great.

Reactions: sh3 and Subway

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ok. Watched the next couple eps. Kanoa-Griffin “rivalry” makes Tati look like BBFs with the rest of the girls. LOL. Amazingly awkward for their mutual coach Tommy Whits them battling for the final 5th spot in the finals.
also, Griffin looks /sounds like a nervous 14-yr old grom. Mentally fragile. jeez, you won two events… grow a pair.

Reactions: sh3

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Couldn't stand Tati complaining and whining about being 2nd in the world. How many of us would love to be in 2nd in the world and surf for a living? There are worse things in life..... like maybe being dirt poor and not knowing where your next meal is coming from??? Grow up, Tati!

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Ok. Watched the next couple eps. Kanoa-Griffin “rivalry” makes Tati look like BBFs with the rest of the girls. LOL. Amazingly awkward for their mutual coach Tommy Whits them battling for the final 5th spot in the finals.
also, Griffin looks /sounds like a nervous 14-yr old grom. Mentally fragile. jeez, you won two events… grow a pair.
Just reminded me that Griffin is still a kid, growing into a man's body/world. Kanoa has supported his family, whereas Griffin's family has supported him. I think he'll grow into it. He has the strength, power, and skill - sh!t, his skills as a surfer are amazing. He should enlist Slater as a coach.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Couldn't stand Tati complaining and whining about being 2nd in the world. How many of us would love to be in 2nd in the world and surf for a living? There are worse things in life..... like maybe being dirt poor and not knowing where your next meal is coming from??? Grow up, Tati!
In her defense, being first loser sucks. You look at little details and small changes that might've changed everything. You dwell on those. I've been first loser in the biggest race there is... twice. (I've also won it, so I'm okay with myself.) But the first time it happened back in 2013, I wanted to quit entirely. The second time, I was older, wiser, had been through some sh!t, and saw how incredible I'd done. I was proud. So, as I said, putting everything you've got into one thing and coming up just a hair's width short hurts. A lot. But you learn and you grow and you figure it out.

F... think about Cheyne Horan doing that how many times?! Or more recently Machado?!

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Felipe is really looking and sounding like adam sandler as he gets older. Walks like him too. For finals day italo waxed every visible square inch of his board all the way to the tip of the nose, must have been 2 bars of wax at least, looked like a layer of glazing putty smeared across the thing. Surprised he didnt shave off all the hair on his head including eyebrows and lashes on the chance it might help him land airs