Lovemachine FM

Jan 6, 2021
Is there a winner in the NVS vs True Ames fin set up for this?

Picking up a 6'9 FM this week with NVS fins - new never ridden - and want to be as stocked as possible!

Thanks.
Same template. Stiff ass fins you're gonna be stocked mate

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
5’8 160. Mine is in Varial foam
Wow.
Okay....
I just picked up a 6'9 FM in poly and its hard to engage a rail at speed.
I'm 5'9 165 and if yours is Varial its lighter and a bit more buoyant.
What the eff am I doing wrong....?

Mar 11, 2023
Wow.
Okay....
I just picked up a 6'9 FM in poly and its hard to engage a rail at speed.
I'm 5'9 165 and if yours is Varial its lighter and a bit more buoyant.
What the eff am I doing wrong....?
My first question is are you far enough back on the tail? I wouldn’t have ever out a pad on mine but I got mine second hand and it already had one. It definitely helped me get over the fins without much thought.

Second is does yours have chined rails? My varial does and I have a 6’6 FM in PU that doesn’t and has noticeably meatier rails.

Reactions: RyanLovelace4

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Chine- check. Nice foil in rails.

Buddy just said same thing about tail....
Huh. Will make note of it.

I know the 6'6 is different and one way for sure are those thicker rails.

Thanks man.
Appreciate the time and effort.

Reactions: MomentaryBliss

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
I'm curious if anyone has the 6'6 version and what they think of it. I have a custom 7'0 in p/u that I've had for a few years and its lights out good in pretty much anything. But have been interested in a 6'6 for a more aggressive approach. I had a 6'9 varial and it was very similar to my 7'0 but the 7'0 was a little better. Mine is way more foiled out than the 6'9 was

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I'm curious if anyone has the 6'6 version and what they think of it. I have a custom 7'0 in p/u that I've had for a few years and its lights out good in pretty much anything. But have been interested in a 6'6 for a more aggressive approach. I had a 6'9 varial and it was very similar to my 7'0 but the 7'0 was a little better. Mine is way more foiled out than the 6'9 was
I am 6' x 165. I have a 6'9" Varial LoveMachine and a 6'6" Poly Lovelace version of the FM. To be honest, I love the 6'9" but the 6'6" is not really grabbing me by the short and curlies. It may be the build, the 6'9" is way lighter and thus feels more responsive. The 6'6" feels slower and is definitely heavier.

Mar 11, 2023
I am 6' x 165. I have a 6'9" Varial LoveMachine and a 6'6" Poly Lovelace version of the FM. To be honest, I love the 6'9" but the 6'6" is not really grabbing me by the short and curlies. It may be the build, the 6'9" is way lighter and thus feels more responsive. The 6'6" feels slower and is definitely heavier.
Funny we’re in the same boat besides you being taller. The 6’9 is definitely lighter and more responsive. It goes well in all sorts of waves but definitely redlines a bit once I get closer to around HH. Its ability to pump and trim yet turn on a dime is what made me fall in love with the shape but it definitely has its limits.

My 6’6 I like it when waves are around the top end of my 6’9 range. I feel like at that size it has better hold and more fluidity. I got it cuz I wanted to have something that surfed more vertical in the pocket, which I heard it did. I’ve only had a few sessions on the 6’6 so I’m still figuring it out.

Reactions: kpd73

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Funny we’re in the same boat besides you being taller. The 6’9 is definitely lighter and more responsive. It goes well in all sorts of waves but definitely redlines a bit once I get closer to around HH. Its ability to pump and trim yet turn on a dime is what made me fall in love with the shape but it definitely has its limits.

My 6’6 I like it when waves are around the top end of my 6’9 range. I feel like at that size it has better hold and more fluidity. I got it cuz I wanted to have something that surfed more vertical in the pocket, which I heard it did. I’ve only had a few sessions on the 6’6 so I’m still figuring it out.
Any 6'6 updates...?

Mar 11, 2023
Any 6'6 updates...?
Haven’t had the waves for it yet unfortunately. Few days I probably could have rode it I ended up on something else.

But I did run into a dude in the parking lot that had a 6’9 Love Machine FM in PU he picked up from Waterman’s. It definitely had more volume in the rails and tail compared to my varial 6’9.

Reactions: kpd73

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
Haven’t had the waves for it yet unfortunately. Few days I probably could have rode it I ended up on something else.

But I did run into a dude in the parking lot that had a 6’9 Love Machine FM in PU he picked up from Waterman’s. It definitely had more volume in the rails and tail compared to my varial 6’9.
I wonder if the 6'6 is the same differential in PU/Varial....