Looks like the WSL hired a new head judge from Brazil

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I posted a comment on Stab's instagram and got some backlash. It was a kid that did 2 airs on 1 wave. The title of the post was something like "Easy as 123... ". So i commented, something like, "wow, so easy a kid can do it. A hack would be better." and people got all bent out of shape about it.

Most little kids at lowers can do an air long before they ever learn how to do a proper turn. I'm sure its a hard manuever but a proper hack is way more technical IMO.
Not every hack is the same. Not every air is the same. Look at where Ethan got with proper hacks.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I posted a comment on Stab's instagram and got some backlash. It was a kid that did 2 airs on 1 wave. The title of the post was something like "Easy as 123... ". So i commented, something like, "wow, so easy a kid can do it. A hack would be better." and people got all bent out of shape about it.

Most little kids at lowers can do an air long before they ever learn how to do a proper turn. I'm sure its a hard manuever but a proper hack is way more technical IMO.

Orders of Magnitude

You are undervaluing one example and overvaluing a different example.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Your opinion is wrong.

Proper hacks require strength and mass. The technique is there, but turns on skinny teens are still lacking strength. It comes with age.

if you want to really see if turns are harder than alley oops, go surf and try one of each And report back.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I remember this one time when I managed to do a dozen 360s on a head high wave at Ralphs. Even in my 40s, I could pull off that move on any wave because I dedicated a lot of time to practicing and perfecting it. Learning to punt was another challenge, as it required countless unsuccessful attempts and sometimes meant missing out on great waves. Most surfers don't want to waste a good wave and end up at the back of the line. It's just not part of the surfing experience, you know? That's why jumbled short interval beach breaks are the perfect spot to practice that maneuver.

Reactions: PRCD and Boneroni

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Well... a proper hack is still
Your opinion is wrong.

Proper hacks require strength and mass. The technique is there, but turns on skinny teens are still lacking strength. It comes with age.

if you want to really see if turns are harder than alley oops, go surf and try one of each And report back.
I think I will....

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I remember this one time when I managed to do a dozen 360s on a head high wave at Ralphs. Even in my 40s, I could pull off that move on any wave because I dedicated a lot of time to practicing and perfecting it. Learning to punt was another challenge, as it required countless unsuccessful attempts and sometimes meant missing out on great waves. Most surfers don't want to waste a good wave and end up at the back of the line. It's just not part of the surfing experience, you know? That's why jumbled short interval beach breaks are the perfect spot to practice that maneuver.

Or now....
wave pools if you've got the scratch

Reactions: ReForest