Longer Rail/Higher Volume DD Thruster

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
As suspected, she goes. Waves were not even that good and this was my first session back on a thruster in like 5-6 months. Still, the board felt pretty natural right off the bat. I was a little concerned when I ordered it that the round tail version would be a little too tuned for good waves but thankfully it didnt feel that way. It does have some rocker so its not a mush buster but as soon as the wave stands up it feels like there is plenty of pushback when driving off the bottom. Like, it doesnt have that sinking feeling that a step up would have on a waist-to-chest high little bowl. Compared to a squash the round tail is really not that much less area and the rails are pretty square, keeping some foam through the tail. Overall the length and volume felt good. Not a drastic change or anything. Im still pretty out of shape and practice but Im looking forward to riding this thing in some better surf this fall.
View attachment 161179
View attachment 161180
View attachment 161181

That dog'll hunt..

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
As suspected, she goes. Waves were not even that good and this was my first session back on a thruster in like 5-6 months. Still, the board felt pretty natural right off the bat. I was a little concerned when I ordered it that the round tail version would be a little too tuned for good waves but thankfully it didnt feel that way. It does have some rocker so its not a mush buster but as soon as the wave stands up it feels like there is plenty of pushback when driving off the bottom. Like, it doesnt have that sinking feeling that a step up would have on a waist-to-chest high little bowl. Compared to a squash the round tail is really not that much less area and the rails are pretty square, keeping some foam through the tail. Overall the length and volume felt good. Not a drastic change or anything. Im still pretty out of shape and practice but Im looking forward to riding this thing in some better surf this fall.
View attachment 161179
View attachment 161180
View attachment 161181

Would bang. Love a good 6'5.

Keepin' that leash string tight for the erBB, nice.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
View attachment 161371View attachment 161373

This Simon that Slater rode in 2005 fit the criteria? It was a 6'1, and I think Kelly is like 5'3.
Ive wanted to get a 6'5 version a little wider and thicker, just to try it, for a long time.
I had a 6-5 Simon round pin years ago. I think it was a DSC. It wasn't the most pinned out board but it needed a real wave to come alive. In good waves it never let me down. Stable and predictable and catch free. Probably a little more rocker up front than is really needed, like many boards from that era. It didn't paddle or catch waves great as a result. All of the Simons I've ridden kind of felt like they were more suited to good waves. Sort of like many Hawaiian shapers boards.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I had a 6-5 Simon round pin years ago. I think it was a DSC. It wasn't the most pinned out board but it needed a real wave to come alive. In good waves it never let me down. Stable and predictable and catch free. Probably a little more rocker up front than is really needed, like many boards from that era. It didn't paddle or catch waves great as a result. All of the Simons I've ridden kind of felt like they were more suited to good waves. Sort of like many Hawaiian shapers boards.
I definitely want to fill out the quiver in that area, confidence boards. Mid 6 foot, pulled in, security blankets for surfing new spots or OH+ days around home. Just because I'm a board nerd I want to get some favorites, like that Simon, an Arakawa "stun gun", a black beauty, couple A2s, Bruce irons local motion if they still make boards...

Reactions: Aruka

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I would love to see what a pro shaper + surfer would do with this. A longer (not extremely) shape with a rocker profile for every day waves, not an island board... squash tail, maybe even a bump. A shape that 5'8" 160lb me would get in stock 6'1" x 18 3/4" and surf in Chest to HH SoCal conditions.

Maybe even narrower..

Mar 7, 2018
1694593965518.jpeg
This is my longer dd thruster. It’s an Australian based shaper Gunther Rohn model Mod88. I have had it for about 18 months. It has lower rocker throughout and mild single to double to vee. I’m riding a 6’4” - 37litres. But I hover around 95kgs. I have more suitable boards for less than chest height. But for bigger slopey beach and reef breaks this board is right at home. It has so much drive and momentum, big sweet spot also. Being narrower (19.5) it rolls from side to side quickly. A genuine keeper. Funny given most of my yolos get cycled out after a year or two….

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
6'5" driver round tail still feels great. surfed a notoriously mushy reef wave on a long interval swell, expecting the worst but ended up having a blast.

i'm 40 and not kelly slater so my air days are behind me. all i wanna do is carve and hit the lip without having to pump too much in between turns and I think the extra couple inches helps more than it hurts in that regard.

*i still haven't surfed a lot of quick, punchy beachies yet to maybe i'll find there to be more of a downside in those type of waves where you really need to surf top to bottom in tight pockets.