Longboard Differences

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Yep. Ugly longboard surfing. My humble opinion based on experience is that people like that ride longboards to have a wave catching advantage over the rest of the lineup. If they are the very rare individual not being a wave hog they are still stigmatized by the other 99% of people who ride them as a crutch and a means to boost wave count. Respect lost and difficult to earn back. Too many assholes and kooks on longboards ruin it for everyone else. Rant over.
Just drop in behind them and rip a few turns off the wake from their power trimming. You will be surprised how many kick out . :roflmao:

I took a friends out and joined the arms race one day. It is really really really easy to become a hog .

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
whats the measurement on the center fin placement?
GG, are you advocating more forward placement than the picture shown?

GG says 2000's, I've been riding this fin setup since pre 1990.

I like to start at 6". As GG has mentioned, 1/8" make a big difference.
The GG fin has the screw in the front, provides a bit more rear movement. I'm not sure if screw in front provides optimal flow.
I put the box in at 4" from tail.

It's possible there is a "hinge effect" too. If the center box overlaps the side ones, it effectively makes it one piece. If there is a gap, the board can bend and flex more.

IMO, center fin too far up doesn't make board looser, makes it stiffer and less able to get on rail at same time. Good for light weights to demonstrate the spaz style that is so despised.

Reactions: rowjimmytour