Longboard Differences

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Wondering what the differences are between high performance longboards and nose riders?

Already thinking about next summer and I really want to get a classic longboard in the 9-6 or 10' range for those 1-3' days where you can just have fun all day. Been drooling over some boards online and not sure who to go with. Any recommendations?

Also, are shapers still back logged for months?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
given the question, it sounds like you dont have much experience with longboards so forget the noserider for now. that will have to wait until you get your steps dialed

if you want a classic 9-6 all arounder. traditional single fin. custom made just for you.

i would get in touch with jim phillips by emailing andrew at surfore@yahoo.com

tell him you want jim's "the hustler" model at around a 9-6. you can thank me later.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Shapers still busy and for a decent price check out rs surf. If you order now you should get the board in two months.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wondering what the differences are between high performance longboards and nose riders?

Already thinking about next summer and I really want to get a classic longboard in the 9-6 or 10' range for those 1-3' days where you can just have fun all day. Been drooling over some boards online and not sure who to go with. Any recommendations?

Hi @r32!

can you please sticky the 2021 surf journal?

edit: on topic - check out the glider thread.

• Love
Reactions: jkb

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I went through a little longboard phase about 10 years ago.
Stamps bridge model is friggin awesome, that old school feel/glide from the middle forward but you can turn it off the back.
I'll be getting another one....one day

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How about classic AND high performance?

Like this awesome display by Gato Heroi shaper Rubbin' Kegel

Totally NOT forced.

Whatever this shape is, it will clearly make you surf as if you have Tourette's. (Apologies if Robin actually has Tourette's...but with all the forced movements in the video below I don't know what to think.)

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
For the record, the best looking longboard I ever owned was also the worst riding longboard I ever owned. It was a polished work of art and I'm just thankful that I sold it for only $50 less than I paid for it.

The best riding longboards I've ridden were less than traditional. Boards by Ricky Carrol, Donald Takayama and Mike Stewart are the ones that come to mind for me. Hate to even admit that one of the best I've ridden was a Joel Tudor.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
How about classic AND high performance?

Like this awesome display by Gato Heroi shaper Rubbin' Kegel

Totally NOT forced.
That's just hideous. In my humble opinion anyone under 45 or 50 who goes out on a longboard in conditions like that should be shunned. Make Longboarding un-cool again.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The differences involve outline, rocker, rails, fin(s) bottom, so just about everything.

Blank availability has improved and shapers aren't all necessarily buried, but glassing is still pretty stacked. That's likely going to be the bottleneck for awhile.

Reactions: r32

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

Definitely still some solid wait times I'd imagine but plenty of time to order a board for the summer.

There are so many good options out there for LBs / Noseriders etc. But if you're going the custom route, or buying new, you obviously want to get it right, since it's a pretty hefty investment.

Lastly, there are plenty of solid OTR options out there too, so it can be a good option to go in that direction until you dial in what you like/need.

Probably my biggest piece of feedback when going the LB route is that you pick something that suits the waves you're going to be riding (e.g. beach break).

What was on your shortlist and where are you planning on riding it / what kind of waves?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Unless you want to shortboard on a log stick to classic nose rider shape with some new curves and check out Wayne Rich for custom log or if you like speed and log beach break like me get Malcom Campbell ewing 5 fin bonzer you can nose ride but mostly cheater 5z.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
That's just hideous. In my humble opinion anyone under 45 or 50 who goes out on a longboard in conditions like that should be shunned. Make Longboarding un-cool again.
waves looked like they were better suited to a longboard than anything else IMO..minus the bunny hops. maybe the most grovelest of grovelers but what would you take out in those conditions?

Reactions: tacos

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Where are you located, where are you trying to surf, How big are you, how old are you, What's your budget?

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Where are you located, where are you trying to surf, How big are you, What's your budget?
CenCal. My territory is mainly from Gaviota to Santa Cruz. Though I love to frequent the north to SF and above. :love:

When it's small, I'm all about the chill beach breaks and occasional point.

6-2" and 185 without a wetsuit. $2k budget

Don't want to ride like the spaz in that video above. I dig this styling. Will keep me in the water when it's almost flat, and keep me in shape which I'm finding increasingly harder to do these days.