Longboard Differences

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Señorsopa absolutely rips on a 9' board
Guess I'd better participate.
You looking for a "log", or something more like a bigger surfboard?
Do you want a board that feels like normal, or one you have to spend 2 days adjusting to?
The log will catch anything, but you will be struggling on anything but the most lined up waves.
The flatter the bottom from rail to rail, the more gears you will have available.
The rolled bottom offers super stability, at the expense of acceleration and top end performance.
The log is also like having a beach cruiser, super fun, but not great on anything but flat boardwalk.
Short boars have down rails and hard edges for a reason, these design elements also work very well on the long boar!
Be careful with concave, easy to overdo it with so much more boar.

I ride HP, but shaped less extreme dimensions.
For PU/PE 17x22x14.5 @ 2.9 widepoint at -1". Sidefins at 15.25 and 4.37 height (grommet sized fins). Rear fin 7-7.5 at 6" from tail. You can go wider in the tail if you know you only plan to ride small stuff.
3" of tail rocker, too much is just an anchor. You can always step the foot back if you need to.
Many HP's go to what I call the "baseball bat" shape. These offer noseriding, but mostly fail at the HP part, tending towards wankiness due to overly narrow tail and high rocker.
The side fins matter, but why bother if they are too small?
A more balanced shape will allow you to ride all parts of the wave. Trimming, driving, carving, stalling, nosing, etc..
Forget the nose scoop, turns your "boar" into a "plank".

Glassing
This is where I diverge completely from convention.
I go with 4/4 deck 4 bottom, 1/8 stringer. I want the boar "flimsy".
Seen too many triple stringers snapped in half. Clearly there's more to it than brute rigidity.
Seen too many boars snap when bailed. Flimsy absorbs rather than snaps.
NO PULLING INTO CLOSEOUT BARRELLS!!!

Currently riding composite boars, inspired by Burt Burger of Sunova when Clark went down for the count.
EPS with 4oz over and under 1/16" bamboo top and bottom, 1/2" of perimeter balsa rails. 17x23x14.74 @ 2.75.

LOL, once you go big, you wont' go back.
-Soup

The standard in LB contests used to be 3 feet over your height was minimum requirement.
One time in Texas, they held a stick to your head. Before the trip, I measured my board, took out a hammer and smashed the nose so I could do a "repair" job that added 1/4" to the length. I barely passed the test.

Shortboar contests used to have a rule about max 2 feet over your head.

Need more pics

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Guess I'd better participate.
You looking for a "log", or something more like a bigger surfboard?
Do you want a board that feels like normal, or one you have to spend 2 days adjusting to?
The log will catch anything, but you will be struggling on anything but the most lined up waves.
The flatter the bottom from rail to rail, the more gears you will have available.
The rolled bottom offers super stability, at the expense of acceleration and top end performance.
The log is also like having a beach cruiser, super fun, but not great on anything but flat boardwalk.
Short boars have down rails and hard edges for a reason, these design elements also work very well on the long boar!
Be careful with concave, easy to overdo it with so much more boar.

For PU/PE 17x22x14.5 @ 2.9 widepoint at -1". Sidefins at 15.25 and 4.37 height (grommet sized fins). Rear fin 7-7.5 at 6" from tail. You can go wider in the tail if you know you only plan to ride small stuff.
3" of tail rocker, too much is just an anchor. You can always step the foot back if you need to.
Many HP's go to what I call the "baseball bat" shape. These offer noseriding, but mostly fail at the HP part, tending towards wankiness due to overly narrow tail and high rocker.
The side fins matter, but why bother if they are too small?
A more balanced shape will allow you to ride all parts of the wave. Trimming, driving, carving, stalling, nosing, etc..
Forget the nose scoop, turns your "boar" into a "plank".

Glassing
This is where I diverge completely from convention.
I go with 4/4 deck 4 bottom, 1/8 stringer. I want the boar "flimsy".
Seen too many triple stringers snapped in half. Clearly there's more to it than brute rigidity.
Seen too many boars snap when bailed. Flimsy absorbs rather than snaps.
NO PULLING INTO CLOSEOUT BARRELLS!!!

Currently riding composite boars, inspired by Burt Burger of Sunova when Clark went down for the count.
EPS with 4oz over and under 1/16" bamboo top and bottom, 1/2" of perimeter balsa rails. 17x23x14.74 @ 2.75.

LOL, once you go big, you wont' go back.
-Soup

One time in Texas, they held a stick to your head. Before the trip, I measured my board, took out a hammer and smashed the nose so I could do a "repair" job that added 1/4" to the length. I barely passed the test.

Shortboar contests used to have a rule about max 2 feet over your head.

Need more pics
Nice wave

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
That's just hideous. In my humble opinion anyone under 45 or 50 who goes out on a longboard in conditions like that should be shunned. Make Longboarding un-cool again.
Hideous— I agree with you 110%

however, those conditions were pretty burgery. Anyone besides a ripper pro riding a shortboard—or hell, even a groveler—is probably not going to be ripping and looking as cool as they think they are: wide-legged horseback-riding-looking doodoo stance, boggy-choppy-jerky quarter (to maybe half) turns. Yeah bros.

Don‘t get me wrong, I say this as a lifelong “shortboarder” who recently has taken up riding a log on small days. Still love trying to ride a short board in good waves to the best of my abilities, but hopping around like a kook in knee high slop feels corny to me.

Reactions: urchined

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yep. Ugly longboard surfing. My humble opinion based on experience is that people like that ride longboards to have a wave catching advantage over the rest of the lineup. If they are the very rare individual not being a wave hog they are still stigmatized by the other 99% of people who ride them as a crutch and a means to boost wave count. Respect lost and difficult to earn back. Too many assholes and kooks on longboards ruin it for everyone else. Rant over.

Make Longboarding Un-Cool Again.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
what do we think about the current Bing models?
We had a Silver Spoon in our house for a while. Great riding board.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I do ride a longboard sometimes when the conditions are right. I just don't ever want to be "THAT GUY" in the lineup being a pig because I've got 50 more liters than anyone else.

Current longboards on hand: Two self shaped, a Jim Philips, A Stewart Redline 11, and a Ricky Carroll Justin Quintal

Last edited:

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
eh, there’s plenty of kooky assholes on shortboards so that is a moot point for me. And plus if the waves are small/bad enough that a longboard provides a wave-catching advantage, then I’m either: at the wrong spot, riding the wrong board, or don’t give a sh!t enough about shitty waves for that to ruffle my feathers. But hey, sure sounds core on the internet.

Make dorky shortboarding un-cool again.

going back to the original premise of the thread: don’t do what I did and get a noserider for your first longboard. Whoever said that in the first few posts of the thread is absolutely correct. You don’t have to get a 90s HP longboard either.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
my favorite part of longboarding is sitting inside on a small day and making something fun of what most people can't catch or don't want. then there's the assfvck who sits outside and fades people with no communication. they can go get their dick run over by a bus
Amen to that. I don’t even use a longboard to compete with others on longboards. I have a blast on the inside scraps.

Reactions: MathDebater

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
How about classic AND high performance?

Like this awesome display by Gato Heroi shaper Rubbin' Kegel

Totally NOT forced.

Whatever this shape is, it will clearly make you surf as if you have Tourette's. (Apologies if Robin actually has Tourette's...but with all the forced movements in the video below I don't know what to think.)

Man, that is TERRIBLE

• Dislike
Reactions: bluengreen

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
For PU/PE 17x22x14.5 @ 2.9 widepoint at -1". Sidefins at 15.25 and 4.37 height (grommet sized fins). Rear fin 7-7.5 at 6" from tail

Need more pics
i want to see a pic of your fin set up

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
favorite longboard if the Takayama in the pink, it does everything well and is very easy to surf.

I got a dead kooks guerrero and it is very hard for me to surf and doesnt catch waves very well

Feb 16, 2006
Instant access to smooth and stylish longboarding...if you can slow down and keep up.

Yes you could do a multi-fin lb but you all have your 5’etc” quads, twinzers, bronzers, tris, etc...Stop fucking around. Buy this board and close this thread down.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Instant access to smooth and stylish longboarding...if you can slow down and keep up.

Yes you could do a multi-fin lb but you all have your 5’etc” quads, twinzers, bronzers, tris, etc...Stop fucking around. Buy this board and close this thread down.

I was actually looking at this one.

Not easy to surf I take it?

It was brand new in Mitch's a few weeks ago:

http://instagr.am/p/CHgnFU3naLk/

Last edited: