Log Question

profkrispy

OTF status
Dec 3, 2002
Ventura
The 9.5" Greenough 4C would actually be a better longboard fin than the 4A. Better yet, I know a guy who knows a guy who currently has a stash of PG Designs 9.5" Big Red fins made out of 1/2" panels. You would be hard pressed to find a better all-around longboard fin.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
If available for purchase, I'd be very interested in lightening that stash of big red PG fins by 1 fin. If the friend of friend will part with 1 please let me know...

Good advice from others here. I'm a log rider. Don't get a midlength of you are looking to cruise a log in tiny surf. You sound like you know the sensation you are after. Logging out in tiny dribblers on a sunny day is a fine way to spend your time. If you get that d fin forget about carving. Enjoy moving around on the board. Step back from center, plant that back foot, and pop-a-wheelie pivot turn. Not rail carving. Jam stop pivots on that fat fin, reset your line, Step up to the front, and let her run again. Rinse and repeat.

Luddite

Miki Dora status
May 21, 2010
New Zealand
Visit site
Narrow flex fins make up for planshape deficiencies. Big D fins on ice cream stick logs are a traditional mismatch, but it's not the fin that makes turning difficult it's the board. That's assuming that the D fin has enough thickness to get a reasonable foil in, if it's a super thin flat sided slab then it could be the fin as well, so lose/lose.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
1) The Dobson fin would be my second choice after the 4a
2) A 9" 4a or Dobson will work just fine in a 9'4"-9'5" longboard...I use a 9" 4a in mine

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
just got home from a fun session on my 9'6"x23 1/2"x3 1/8" traditional log w/ this 9.5" fin:

waves were knee-waist high w/ somewhat bigger sets rolling through occasionally. pretty soft, but lined up. perfect set up, IMO.

rspowers

Nep status
Feb 23, 2005
wilmington nc
njsurfer42 said:
just got home from a fun session on my 9'6"x23 1/2"x3 1/8" traditional log w/ this 9.5" fin:

waves were knee-waist high w/ somewhat bigger sets rolling through occasionally. pretty soft, but lined up. perfect set up, IMO.
This is exactly what you want right here. My log is nearly the exact same specs although I have been using a 9'9 surfing SUP more recently which has kinda replaced my longboard for the time being. So much fun on those small days and keeps me in the water almost every day.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
profkrispy said:
If you have your heart set on the Greenough 4A, follow the link below and read reply #11. I couldn't explain it better.

4A and Big Red Explained
That was a good read, with drama and everything. :cheers:

PG never explains why cutting a fin out of 1/2" panel is better, I'd be really interested in learning more. I presume the flex characteristics would change with thickness but what else?

I recently held this fin and while I really liked the template it literally weighs 5 pounds. I've never seen a thicker foiled fin. The attack edge is super fat.
I presumed this kind of thing would cause more drag but there has to be more to it?