Log Question

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
I'm thinking of adding a log to the quiver for the summer doldrums. I've got my eye on a vintage 10' log with a glassed on wooden D fin. From the quick research I did it sounds like the D fin was/is used on a log for noseriding. I don't have much experience riding logs or longboards except for a few sessions a year. What can I expect from a log of this size with a D fin - how will it ride, what are the pluses/minuses, etc.? Any feedback/comments/help is appreciated so I can figure out if I'm going to pull the trigger. :wave2:

FishFace

Miki Dora status
Aug 8, 2009
Del Mar, CA
D fins suck - especially if you like turning and youre coming off a shorter board. Get a log w a finbox and run a flex like the 4a.

barrysnyder

Michael Peterson status
Apr 27, 2011
Oceanside Ca.
Visit site
I agree with the D fins suck comment.
Rode a pig style longboard with the D fin glassed on.
Ground it off, installed a fin box further up, Used a pivot fin.
Night and day difference.
Was told the "D" in D fin stood for "Don't turn".

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
FishFace said:
D fins suck - especially if you like turning and youre coming off a shorter board. Get a log w a finbox and run a flex like the 4a.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
FishFace said:
this...& i agree that 10' is gigantic. i'm close to 200lbs & have a 9'6" that is plenty...if properly motivated, i can get into waves just as early as the SUPs. i tried a D fin in it for a while one summer & while it was an interesting learning experience, it turned the board into a dog. much better w/ the 10" greenough 4A it came w/, but better still w/ a 9.5" pivot fin.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
D-Fins have their place for the right rider, looking for the right feeling. But they are definately not recommended for the uninitiated. I have one and love the feeling on the right wave for nose riding only. Thats all they do well, is nose ride, and the board has to be tuned well to the fin, and not many shapers know how to do that. Most days mine only works OK, but those days where you are speeding down the line, purched high in the pocket and expecting the tail to break out, and it doesn't, It really doesn't get much better than that. There are far more forgiving nose riders made, and I would recommend something different for someone learning the ropes of logging. Like it is said above, for your first log, I would recommend something with a box, so you can experiment with fins and find what you like. Logging is all about cross-stepping, nose-riding, and doing drop knee's, if you want to turn, don't get a log. I either ride a shortboard, or a log, nothing in between works for me. When I get on a mid-length, I expect it to turn and pivot like my 5'6, and it doesn't. Too much milking and patience for me. It took a long time to learn to shortboard and logg on the same day, without it screwing up my shortboarding for a month. Don't think I could ever put the time in to learn a mid-length, at least the way I see myself wanting to ride it. Everyone has thier own opinion of what works for them, experiment and find what gives you the most fun. Just adding a bigger board to your quiver is going to exponentially increase your fun time.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
BrownFish said:
D-Fins have their place for the right rider, looking for the right feeling. But they are definately not recommended for the uninitiated. I have one and love the feeling on the right wave for nose riding only. Thats all they do well, is nose ride, and the board has to be tuned well to the fin, and not many shapers know how to do that. Most days mine only works OK, but those days where you are speeding down the line, purched high in the pocket and expecting the tail to break out, and it doesn't, It really doesn't get much better than that. There are far more forgiving nose riders made, and I would recommend something different for someone learning the ropes of logging. Like it is said above, for your first log, I would recommend something with a box, so you can experiment with fins and find what you like. Logging is all about cross-stepping, nose-riding, and doing drop knee's, if you want to turn, don't get a log. I either ride a shortboard, or a log, nothing in between works for me. When I get on a mid-length, I expect it to turn and pivot like my 5'6, and it doesn't. Too much milking and patience for me. It took a long time to learn to shortboard and logg on the same day, without it screwing up my shortboarding for a month. Don't think I could ever put the time in to learn a mid-length, at least the way I see myself wanting to ride it. Everyone has thier own opinion of what works for them, experiment and find what gives you the most fun. Just adding a bigger board to your quiver is going to exponentially increase your fun time.
Well put.
The only people I've ever seen surf a D fin log well are people that obviously
ride predominantly logs...and surf all well. If you don't log often, the 4A fin
is always a good all around place to start for user friendliness in a fin IMO.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What size/type of fin do you guys recommend for a 9'4 Ricky Carroll Justin Quintal rounded pintail longboard?

I know nothing about longboard fins but I suspect whatever fin came with the board isn't really great and all this talk of the 4A has me curious. Just getting the feel of a real longboard again after years of not riding one and am starting to get fin curious.

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
Hey Californians, OP is in NJ. We're talking 2-3 ft @ 7s summertime dribble. The waves have no push. A D fin pig can be fun in those weak conditions, but try to lean on your rail and carve and it will be man overboard. Instead: pivot and trim.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Given that we basically surf the same waves. Don't get a 10' D fin log. I had one and sold it within a few months. My favorite "log" that I'm addicted to is my Bing NR-2. Its a 9'4 with a scooped nose, hard rails and a pivot fin.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Damn it's hard to find a 9.5" 4a. They seem to go from 9" to 9.75" at least online.

Currently I think the board has a 10" Slick fin in it. Wouldn't mind something a little more pivoty as the Slick feels kinda stiff, although haven't had it long enough to know if it's board or fin.

Seems like people also like the TA Josh Farberow flex fin and the Rainbow MD3 and it looks like Rainbow has a Justin Quintal Flex Fin all of which look like iterations of the 4a.

Will have to poke around locally for a 9.5" 4a. Thanks for the advice.

To the OP, I would follow the advice above and get something smaller than 10' with a standard fin box. NJ waves are probably similar to Long Island and even when it's small here, they tend to be quick enough that you'd probably want a little more maneuverability than a 10' Log with a D fin would allow just to set you line. You can't rush a longboard but particularly a long one with a big fin. Box will give you more ability to play with fins as I'm learning...

WarrenC

Michael Peterson status
Nov 30, 2008
I ride a large Simmons type board
7'2
and it doesnt need to be that big, its just what I like and works for me
east coast dribble is once again fun and has been
and by dribble I mean legitimate knee high/thigh high garbage
many boards besides a true log to choose from
and it fits in my car
merely an idea

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
nightfly said:
and even when it's small here, they tend to be quick enough that you'd probably want a little more maneuverability than a 10' Log with a D fin would allow just to set you line.
thus why the rise of the uber-groverler has been such a great thing for east coasters. though it is still fun to bust out the log from time to time...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I hear ya. I ride my Bottom feeder about 90% of the days I surf but sometimes, it's even too small for that or lacks the push.

There's no substitute for the glide of a heavier log on the truly weak days- like this say this week. I rode my BF on Monday and then busted out the log for the first time since last summer on Tuesday and had a blast though some of the better sets had me kinda wishing for the BF.

I think a mid-length with some weight would work well too. Excited to try a different fin in the log.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
9.5 dale dobson is the best I can recommend. It's more upright then has a descent amount of tip curve . Good times

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
erBB comes through again. Thanks for all of the feedback...the search continues.