Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
So you think what Cole wrote is well-reasoned and unemotional?
I think a lot of what MC wrote is valid. He is, IMO, a bit emotional/jaded about what he sees happening, but considering some of what he has been through, I'm willing to give him a pass. Not that he needs a pass from me, you or anyone else. He's voicing his opinion which is based in decades of familiarity and what he sees happening. I'm getting the impression he pretty much gives zero fvcks what anybody thinks. And you have every right to criticize that from the comfort of your LazyBoy. (y)

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I think a lot of what MC wrote is valid. He is, IMO, a bit emotional/jaded about what he sees happening, but considering some of what he has been through, I'm willing to give him a pass. Not that he needs a pass from me, you or anyone else. He's voicing his opinion which is based in decades of familiarity and what he sees happening. I'm getting the impression he pretty much gives zero fvcks what anybody thinks. And you have every right to criticize that from the comfort of your LazyBoy. (y)
No one needs a LazyBoy to recognize a rant when they see one.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You guys will get the surf industry you deserve. It's a reflection of who surfers have become. I scarcely recognize the industry and "surfers" have changed. So whatever. Net net, for the short term, surfboards have become a commodity. And at present we have overbuilt. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. I don't think there is going to be much left of the domestic surfboard manufacturing business in 20 years. I've ceased to care anymore. I'm almost entirely out. It's kind of sad, but change happens. The consignment model favors those with the biggest bank accounts. They're the only ones that can play the game, the whole point of it is to fvvk over the little guy/competition.
And there it is.

It's exactly what pretty much any seasoned shaper will tell you face to face, regardless of what they say on podcasts (lol) when asked that question.

The consumer doesn't care - most have only a superficial connection to surfing. It just another quiver in the bag of things they "do" , poorly.

Between the EPA and state of CA, the decline of the surf addict, rising cost of living, and the fact few are willing to put in the hard work it takes to become a world class shaper (which is more than learning how to use a computer to crank out surfboards with cool glassjobs), and the problems with the industry itself...the whole thing is on borrowed time.

Reactions: surfwhere and Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
also some shapers are starting to charge premium for tweaking dims and even larger premium for tweaking design. just matter of time before they have fixed dims only like fireturds

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's exactly what pretty much any seasoned shaper will tell you face to face, regardless of what they say on podcasts (lol) when asked that question.
I still don't understand this point.

What do domestic shapers have to fear if they say overseas manufacturing is killing domestic production on a podcast? Are they scared of Firewire getting mad at them?

Seems like a great platform to call out the problem to me, yet hardly any shaper interviewed says Firewire is a direct threat to their business. :shrug:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the industry is will implode in the next few yrs. $1400 resin swirlies with pizza box stains and bubbles lolz.
You forgot to mention the $950 dollar leather jacket, the $100 facial lotion, $200 sandals etc.

"Hey, we haven't figured out how to glass a surfboard, but check out our $400 boutique sweater!"

I think this review of a local boardmaker that recently opened sums up the current state of surfers best:

"Everything here is spot-on perfect. From the decor, vibe, and merchandise, to the delicious smoothies/drinks (the iced matcha is phenomenal) …. Oh and of course, the INSANELY GORGEOUS BOARDS that the (name withheld) team designs, shapes, and paints themselves. So impressed with this new spot!"

So that's where we are. The Firewire business model alongside popup expert shapers that have great matcha.

The future is bright.

Maurice may shape a decent board but does he even offer a artesenal coffee AT LEAST when you place an order?

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
also some shapers are starting to charge premium for tweaking dims and even larger premium for tweaking design.
As it should be.

Customs should be more expensive. More time spend on a bort should = more money charged for bort.

Shapers need to charge a living wage rather than some deflated price based off the bro deal.

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I still don't understand this point.

What do domestic shapers have to fear if they say overseas manufacturing is killing domestic production on a podcast? Are they scared of Firewire getting mad at them?

Seems like a great platform to call out the problem to me, yet hardly any shaper interviewed says Firewire is a direct threat to their business. :shrug:
My hypothesis:

Most shapers see the writing on the wall, have bills to pay, and can see their golden years approaching fast. Not sure what the shaper's 401K options are...and I'm not sure how much of a paycheck FW writes for a board file...but it might be advantageous to watch you mouth.

I could be 100% wrong.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
As it should be.

Customs should be more expensive. More time spend on a bort should = more money charged for bort.

Shapers need to charge a living wage rather than some deflated price based off the bro deal.
Surfboard prices are limited by the target market.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
My hypothesis:

Most shapers see the writing on the wall, have bills to pay, and can see their golden years approaching fast. Not sure what the shaper's 401K options are...and I'm not sure how much of a paycheck FW writes for a board file...but it might be advantageous to watch you mouth.

I could be 100% wrong.
I don't know man. Seems a like a stretch to me that all these domestic shapers are biting their tongues in hopes of making a future deal with Firewire.

Biolos has been pretty outspoken on the issue. He tends to say whatever he feels without fear of retribution. He's said in multiple interviews that Firewire isn't a threat to his business or the industry as a whole unless you're making inferior boards.

Reactions: ReForest

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Maurice may shape a decent board but does he even offer a artesenal coffee AT LEAST when you place an order?
Surf Odyssey is a classic board factory. Adjacent to it is a semi permanent food truck with a French cook that makes coffee and sandwiches to die for like Panko Tuna on a fresh roll or an organic beef burger that tastes so fresh you think it might moo on your next bite. The factory and truck thrown together and core as hell, like it should be, but the output is creme de la creme from both. And you get to eat on this picnic table if you want to

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I don't see that many FW's in the water. I have heard that isn't the case on the East Coast.

And shapers grouse plenty re the consignment/squeeze-out strategy the elephants have implemented in the past. In private. Trust me. I used to cut a TON of boards going to the East Coast in years past. Every Spring it was a huge push. That kind of went away for the smaller manufacturers because the Big Guys did the consignment thing, stocking/taking over the entire shop. All the rack space with no money up front from the shop for the boards. A shop owner has a hard time turning that down. For understandable reasons. A mid level concern can't afford to deliver 40 boards without getting at least partial compensation up front. I know one very well established shaper that will deliver NO surfboards on consignment. His name is enough of a draw that shops will pay for the entire wholesale price for the boards upon delivery. Those would be a few of the more core shops left. Which are getting rare. Let's face it, a lot of the shops now are primarily there to fleece tourists and kooks. Soft goods make the money. The boards are almost a loss leader to create the ambiance and get the tourists and kooks through the door to buy things that have a far better margin than surfboards.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Middle and upper class that live in coastal areas?
Males under the age of 25 who are recreational surfers.

A lot of these guys don’t have steady employment, or make sh!t wages, or just simply don’t want to work and ride out on what little allowance their parents give them.

To put it in perspective, my mortgage is less than half the average rent in my area, I have no bills, no kids, pull in above average income….a $1000 dollar board isn’t going to price me out of the market…But instead of buying a board or two every year I’d probably buy one every three.

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
As it should be.

extra $500 to punch some numbers into the cad machine to change dims…