Leash strings

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Fun wave today, but broke my leash and it got me thinking - how long do your leashes usually last?

I figured all things "leash" would properly fall within the "leash string thread", correct? So what's the consensus? 6 months? 1 year? Does it depend on how often you surf?

My Veia leash lasted 15 months (that's 1 year and 3 months for the JKB's that don't like dates in months) and just snapped today. :cry:
That’s what you get for not using a Slater Designs ™ leash made from algae bloom!
Really just depends how much abuse your leash takes. I’m on a comp leash 90% of the time and usually replace after a few years when the Velcro loses its grip.

Feb 18, 2024
Fun wave today, but broke my leash and it got me thinking - how long do your leashes usually last?

I figured all things "leash" would properly fall within the "leash string thread", correct? So what's the consensus? 6 months? 1 year? Does it depend on how often you surf?

My Veia leash lasted 15 months (that's 1 year and 3 months for the JKB's that don't like dates in months) and just snapped today. :cry:
I have had the same fcs comp leash for 10 years but a live in huntington and probably wear a leash 15% of my surfs but when I used to stay in Bali four months a year I would go through about 8 every trip

Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Rarely break leashes. I use comp leashes 90% of the time, I don't ditch my board and I don't do a fresh water rinse either.

Most of the time I'm replacing them after 3 or so years because I get sick of them tangling around my feet. The tangling seems to get more and more egregious as the leash gets older.

Reactions: ReForest

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Same experience as many here, I always use a comp leash for local surfing and I replace when velcro wears out. Maybe every 3-4 years or so?

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Same experience as many here, I always use a comp leash for local surfing and I replace when velcro wears out. Maybe every 3-4 years or so?
Yep, this.

I’ve even got a 5.5’ “super comp” for gravel days. it’s the cuff not the cord for me, too.

Last leash I snapped was about 15yrs back but it was a mysterio leash that just appeared in my stash after years of living with fellow surfers and storing everything on the west side of the house to get cooked in the afternoon sun. I reset my leash quiver after that and never had a problem since.

I haven’t fresh water rinsed a board, leash, or string in years either.

Reactions: bird.LA

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have a piles of leashes. No idea how old they all are.

I broken many over the years but haven’t for a long time. I used to bail my board too much in heavy surf. Then about fifteen years ago I got caught inside on a 8’6 gun and for whatever reason I thought if I bail my board the leash is going to break, I’m exhausted and will drown trying to swim in. I had in the past almost drown in just that scenario at that spot.

This day was even more gnarly.

So I just told myself “hold on to the board no matter what.”

I did my best to duck dive and hold on but eventually the board got wrangled out of my hands. After quite a hold down I popped up. I never even felt a tug on my leash and I figured it just snapped. Looked around and my was right next to me.

Since then I just almost always “hold on no matter what.”

On that note, today a chest high wave sectioned off in front of me, I jumped over the back and the wave caught my board. Comp leash got stretched out and my board shot back at me and almost took my head off.

:bricks:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yes.

Has never failed me other than the one time a board broke in half right where I was grabbing onto it for dear life. The exception that proves the rule.
I’ve been suction cupped to the bottom a couple of times. Duck diving at sand bottom breaks. Lip lands right on me, drives me to the bottom. Board gets “stuck” to the sand. The only way to release it is let go of it. Both times it happened the waves weren’t all that big and it was pretty shallow.

And yeh, I had a board buckle on a duck dive. Again, wave wasn’t that big.

Reactions: bird.LA

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve been suction cupped to the bottom a couple of times. Duck diving at sand bottom breaks. Lip lands right on me, drives me to the bottom. Board gets “stuck” to the sand. The only way to release it is let go of it. Both times it happened the waves weren’t all that big and it was pretty shallow.

And yeh, I had a board buckle on a duck dive. Again, wave wasn’t that big.
It’s really weird when you surface before the board.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
I use recycled spectra lines from my old kite bars. It’s nice cause its super high test strength, is soft enough to not cut into your rails and lasts literally forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Hmmm. I've snapped lots of leashes over the years. FCS leash. Prolite leash. Dakine leash. Surfride leash. Now Veia leash - all comp leashes though. Come to think about it, its about 1 leash every 2 years or so. I dont fresh water rinse. I dont wrap my leash around my board (i take it off after most sessions and store it in the trunk). I do kick my board quiet a bit so that probably stretches it out and weakens it.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Hmmm. I've snapped lots of leashes over the years. FCS leash. Prolite leash. Dakine leash. Surfride leash. Now Veia leash - all comp leashes though. Come to think about it, its about 1 leash every 2 years or so. I dont fresh water rinse. I dont wrap my leash around my board (i take it off after most sessions and store it in the trunk). I do kick my board quiet a bit so that probably stretches it out and weakens it.
They’re self-immolating because you keep attaching them to popouts :p

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
get a atay covered comp leash. snaps but at least doesnt tangle

Reactions: ReForest