Lack of crowds

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
yup. They are doing badge checks now at my company. Also heard if you are not in 4 days a week you lose your desk.

Got my full remote approved just in time :)
Are they enforcing hours in office or just badge in and out?

Mid-week rush hour goes much later into the morning and starts earlier in the afternoons. I suspect the in at 10a out by 3p crowd has grown significantly since companies mandated a return to the office with no real enforcement.

Reactions: Havoc

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I loved living in Central FL during Noreasters. It’s usually still fairly warm, not overly blown out, and plenty of protected spots below the cape

Reactions: Goofy_Footed

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Light crowds in Oside as well.

Howeverrrrr.... I was surfing a random spot today all alone when some duu paddles up right next to me. Empty peaks all down the beach and this guy comes right where I'm at? Like, C'mon brah... its a beach break. Go find your own wave.
is that unusual where you're from? In Florida it's basically expected. I'm shocked when I don't get paddled out on in that situation.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I don't think companies are getting enough traction on return to office for it to make much of a dent
Could it partly be covid surfers moving on to the next thing after 2-3 years?
Also possibly the free money becoming less means people have to get jobs?

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
All I can say is that I can only pray for the days pre-covid and earlier where you could get a lighter crowd session weekdays between 10-2 between Del Mar and O'side. This morning around 11am, there were 25-30 heads in the water at Dst as I watched on Surfline, and at least that many at Cardiff. So I don't think there is any reduction in heads in the water in that stretch at all, in fact it is the most crowded I have ever seen it, and there is no less people at any hour of the day that I take a look. I finally worked all my life to have the luxury of surfing mid-day, and now that is gone.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
is that unusual where you're from? In Florida it's basically expected. I'm shocked when I don't get paddled out on in that situation.
I would say its common with uneducated surfers... but competent surfers or "familiar face surfers" will find their own peak down the beach.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Just took a new gig with a large-ish company that just called everyone back Tues-Thurs. It will be an interesting experience as they and I have been pretty much remote since the pandemic. For my new role, it may be beneficial and its a 2.5 mile bike ride, just enough to warm the legs up. Prior to the pandemic had a stupid commute for a few years, although it was closer to the waves, so was a good excuse for after-work go-outs.

As for sarfing and snowbroing, going to miss the midweek, midday, midtide, midlife seshies. It's been an amazing run of flexibility, but kids aint cheap, and the money is going to be quite better than what I am making currently. Besides been surfing most of my life and long before it got kinda crowded around here and super crowded everywhere else. If the conditions are right, like they have been for most of the last month or so, not that hard to find an empty peak if you know when and where to look. One thing I kinda learned is I was never missing out as much as I thought given the variability of waves around here and hoping to up my surf trip game as well.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The "Back to the Office" push is going to backfire spectacularly with the increased cost-of-living and driving - employees are either going to push for massive CoL adjustments or find other jobs.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
The "Back to the Office" push is going to backfire spectacularly with the increased cost-of-living and driving - employees are either going to push for massive CoL adjustments or find other jobs.
It already has. Know several companies who had a back to office push who had so many people who were pushing back or were going to leave that that quickly walked it back and started granting "exceptions". The only people who want to go back to office are primarily age 55+ people who get their sense of identity and meaning from work. Unfortunately those are the guys running the show.

Ultimately companies who push for in office will lose the "talent war".

I do see some of the kids coming out of college want to be in office though, as way to develop friends in whatever town they move to partly, but also they learn/develop faster. Once people are established they strongly prefer being at home.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Surfing has been uncrowded(mostly flat recently) but never seen so many fisherman with zero etiquette. Kind of killing the fun for me, got to start fishing after dark which I hate.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
yup i just got my COL increase from the union - becasue im already over scale it was a fkn joke this year, im 2 miles away from the office and it wouldnt cover the yearly cost of driving in if i had to.

Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Just took a new gig with a large-ish company that just called everyone back Tues-Thurs. It will be an interesting experience as they and I have been pretty much remote since the pandemic. For my new role, it may be beneficial and its a 2.5 mile bike ride, just enough to warm the legs up. Prior to the pandemic had a stupid commute for a few years, although it was closer to the waves, so was a good excuse for after-work go-outs.

As for sarfing and snowbroing, going to miss the midweek, midday, midtide, midlife seshies. It's been an amazing run of flexibility, but kids aint cheap, and the money is going to be quite better than what I am making currently. Besides been surfing most of my life and long before it got kinda crowded around here and super crowded everywhere else. If the conditions are right, like they have been for most of the last month or so, not that hard to find an empty peak if you know when and where to look. One thing I kinda learned is I was never missing out as much as I thought given the variability of waves around here and hoping to up my surf trip game as well.
This must be common as the traffic on Tuesdays and Thursdays has gotten to almost pre-pandemic levels. I am going to start working from home on those days now.
We are manufacturing facility, so it key to be in the office and shop during the week. For 20+ years my role was just straight up sales and sales management and always worked out of my house, car, hotel, etc... but never an office. So to me, in my current role, it's pretty cool. Plus, I interact with much younger workers and have learned a lot that I wouldn't have if I was working remote.
Good thing the clocks roll back an hour on Sunday. I love dawning it in the Fall and there's no traffic at 5:20am.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
One thing I kinda learned is I was never missing out as much as I thought given the variability of waves around here and hoping to up my surf trip game as well.
I often wondered about this. If I had all the time in the world to surf, would it lose its luster? Do you think the waves just weren't that good, or you just weren't that interested in surfing?