Lack of crowds

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
It was a reasonable starting point. The only way to know is to go. You’ve been there long enough now to have it figured out. Long enough to take some beatings too!
Absolutely right @ElOgro ..... from my backyard i also have some indicators looking out at San Juan Del Sur bay .... i think i rely on the forecasts more to decide which board i should bring. The other day one forecast had the primary swell interval at 8 sec and another forecast had it at 18sec ..... LOL

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
The crowds are down around here as well. On weekdays it's actually difficult to find more than a few guys in the water, north of town. Maybe covid has something to do with it? Maybe the fact Highway 1 closes at Big Sur every year now due to a rock slide? Maybe surf hipster lifestyle has reached maximum saturation.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
didnt this happen like over a year ago already? or did some new thing just drop?
For many companies it's still being implemented. Friend of mine works for a huge company, and they are barely starting next week with the back-to-office mandate. He's bummed about it. He gets more work done at home and way more free time. And no asshole boss to pretend to like.

Reactions: tacos

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The crowds are down around here as well. On weekdays it's actually difficult to find more than a few guys in the water, north of town. Maybe covid has something to do with it? Maybe the fact Highway 1 closes at Big Sur every year now due to a rock slide? Maybe surf hipster lifestyle has reached maximum saturation.
I think this explains our current lack of crowds.

1698875298824.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Kinda used to be like that here too, but all of the other sandbars, outside of the two main breaks, have been sh!t since like May. Summer pushed all the sand up onto the beach and now it’s either super deep, unrideable shorepound at high, or utter mush, deep outside bar at low. Praying that changes here soon. I like surfing solo.
South Bay?

Bad thing about the disappearance of sand bars in the South Bay is it puts a LOT of extra crowd pressure on the few spots that don't depend on sand.

For me the best strategy is to surf around 1-2pm. Morning crowd is gone, wind is coming up, kids aren't out of school yet, but the kelp keeps it rideable and fun.

Best sessions for me happen when it's raining. I crack up sometimes seeing how empty it can be when it's raining, like surfers are afraid to get wet.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
For many companies it's still being implemented. Friend of mine works for a huge company, and they are barely starting next week with the back-to-office mandate. He's bummed about it. He gets more work done at home and way more free time. And no asshole boss to pretend to like.
yup. They are doing badge checks now at my company. Also heard if you are not in 4 days a week you lose your desk.

Got my full remote approved just in time :)

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
South Bay?

Bad thing about the disappearance of sand bars in the South Bay is it puts a LOT of extra crowd pressure on the few spots that don't depend on sand.

For me the best strategy is to surf around 1-2pm. Morning crowd is gone, wind is coming up, kids aren't out of school yet, but the kelp keeps it rideable and fun.

Best session forme happen when it's raining. I crack up sometimes seeing how empty it can be when it's raining, like surfers are afraid to get wet.
No, much, much worse (FL) :ROFLMAO: but yes, really only 2 spots breaking here currently and everyone knows about them. We're in the middle of a NE'er at the moment, so hopefully that will push the sand around a bit. Although the last one we had didn't help much, if at all.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
South Bay?

Best session forme happen when it's raining. I crack up sometimes seeing how empty it can be when it's raining, like surfers are afraid to get wet.
South Duuuu

Reactions: Goofy_Footed

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Super empty this morning .... head high A frames - glassy not a soul in sight. The tide was draining out creating some steep drops and a few barrels ..... tides are very fickle here .... a lot of people only paddle out at high tide and stay away when its going out (for good reason).

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Super empty this morning .... head high A frames - glassy not a soul in sight. The tide was draining out creating some steep drops and a few barrels ..... tides are very fickle here .... a lot of people only paddle out at high tide and stay away when its going out (for good reason).
Weird storm down there right now. I’d think offshore as it moves away from the coast? Post some pictures, I know you got ‘um!

Reactions: flyinraptr

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Uncle Ogro is Mainland surf in general more crowded in Winter, or is there not an appreciable bump in surf peeps?
Less fickle weather and clean offshore smaller surf, so yeah. Definitely. From now until February lots of guests. Southern hemi season starts mid February and those days the crowd thins out significantly. By April it starts getting hot outside. Then the exodus starts.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

ReForest

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2020
Light crowds in Oside as well.

Howeverrrrr.... I was surfing a random spot today all alone when some duu paddles up right next to me. Empty peaks all down the beach and this guy comes right where I'm at? Like, C'mon brah... its a beach break. Go find your own wave.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Light crowds in Oside as well.

Howeverrrrr.... I was surfing a random spot today all alone when some duu paddles up right next to me. Empty peaks all down the beach and this guy comes right where I'm at? Like, C'mon brah... its a beach break. Go find your own wave.
That was @000

• Haha
Reactions: tacos and Havoc