LA and OC suggestions

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hey guys,

As you know I'm heading to LA this September... gonna be there for a few days... than Newport Beach... than San Diego.

What's new is that my sister got a ticket out of nowhere and she'll be in LA for a few days while I'm there. Was wondering if I could get a few suggestions from you guys, I wanna make sure they have a great time (My sister, her husband and my 3y niece).

They're arriving in LA really early on the 15th, I'm gonna be there already. I'll leave to Newport on the 17th and they're staying in LA their whole trip (just a week for them). My sister's bday is on the 16th so I wanted to take them somewhere cool. Don't wanna break the bank, but it would be nice to do something special. They'll trust me with whatever.

So, I'll try to plan something light for the 15th, they'll be tired but they can't waste a day because of that. That first day feels easy, just showing them around so they get the layout of the city.

For the 16th, my actual full day with them, I'm not sure. Of course they wanna do the obvious tourist boring sh!t like visiting the hobos at hollywood, going to the Observatory for a cool view of the town which I dig. so wondering what else there is that they would enjoy on the way (we won't be staying far from the airport, closer to Manhattan Beach actually).

It's a short time so I'm gonna have to make some decisions.

We will meet on Disney on the 19th... and they may drive down to Newport while I'm there just to check what it's about... that's where I could really, really use your help. I've been to that area several times but I was always busy surfing... I don't really know what's there to do with families and sh!t. Could def use some pointers. but they'll drive from LA and back on the same day so it needs to be chill.

Anyway, I expect to have some back and forth here so I'll probably just stop for now (but yeah I'm full of ideas).

One thing though... maybe even for her Bday... is there some nice spot along the N LA coast where we can hang around, eat some stuff and get access to the beach for the kids? I heard of Paradise Cove but don't know what it's like.

Anyway... Tips for some good proper american BBQ, maybe a nice breakfast that doesn't break the bank that's not IHop (but my sis really wants to go to iHop anyway, I would have to convince her otherwise).

Thanks again guys! oh, and yeah, not living you hanging...

1692570163873.png

• Love
Reactions: ghostshaper

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Brazzos obviously love their outlets, and although I don't necessarily need to be with her, I thought if she must visit one, leave early to beat the traffic (101), go to Camarillo, and at least on the way back she can explore the Malibu coast (there are a few outlets which are closer but there will be nothing interesting to see on the way there or back). I would do this with them but we only have 1 full day on the 16th... and it would probably be too much for me on the 17th because I will need to drive to Newport before the day is done.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Cool breakfast experience for the fam in the South Bay? any breakfast by the beach or with a cool view or something like that? as long as you don't need to be a billionaire to partake?

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
The Kettle in Manhattan is a great old standard that's always been there. Breakfast is tough to beat.
The Hollywood Riviera in South Redondo has a killer beach town vibe with great restaurants and a very local (in a good way) vibe. Tourists don't really know about it.
In Newport, you can't lose with a great seafood dinner at the Crab Cooker.
If you really want a true SoCal experience and how things used to (and still should) be, you have to do a day trip to Catalina and chill in Avalon. Mid Sept is the perfect time because it's still nice weather and the crowd is thinned out by about 70%.
Day trip to Santa Barbara wine country. Los Olivos and Santa Inez still feel like what CA used to be.

Edit: That chick's got some pretty narrow hips for a Brazilian.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
bbq? WHISKEY FLAT. San Pedro. i coldnt read through all yoru stuff. check your schedule against theirs. it is an outdoor SHACK. BEST smokehouse brisket in all of L.A. anyone want to challenge that, come at me and bring your best. solid smoked chicken. pulled pork is good. their ribs are ironically not the greatest....but that brikset is a panty dropper. literally a shack so the kids can wipe boogers and play on the ground and noone will bat an eye.

breakfast? get a breakfast burrito from nicks in seal beach. OR....go to MUtt Lynch's in newport. challenge the kids to see who can throw the most sand at stupid mustachioed hipsters on single fins right out front.

if you happen to be going down the 5 freeway on the orange county/l.a. county border....and have some time to kill for the best al pastor tacos in all of l.a.....ive got a taco truck less than ten mins off the freeway. evenings only.

want a REAL L.A. experience? take them to the Pinata District

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Love it guys, some of these tips right off the bat are real eye openers. Kinda glad we're staying near Manhattan Beach, I didn't even know the Hollywood Riviera existed and it seems fucking awesome. I'll probably put some proper time in the South Bay this time around.

The possibility of a day trip to Catalina got me intrigued. Not keeping my hopes up but I will definitely check my options, costs, time it takes, where to depart from, etc. How can someone not lot this little part of the world, seriously...

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Mr. Brukuns--
As long as you are staying near Manhattan, a good place to consider for breakfast or lunch is the Strand House by the Pier. Not cheap, but not break the bank. Wonderful view and quite decent food, in a casual atmosphere. A mix of tourists and locals. If you don't wanna go there , there are a bunch of other places nearby. https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-strand-house-manhattan-beach

• Love
Reactions: tacos and brukuns

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Not much in LA I like but would def recommend the Getty, the Getty Villa, and the Griffith Park Observatory.

Reactions: CJSB

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Not much in LA I like but would def recommend the Getty, the Getty Villa, and the Griffith Park Observatory.
Agreed. Griffith Park Observatory and the Getty are both great with amazing views as you walk the grounds. The Observatory may be a bit more interesting to the kids. Also in Griffith park, the pony rides near the Los Feliz entrance are super fun for kids.

Reactions: brukuns and $kully

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Griffith Observatory is a must definitely. On the way there they can scratch their unavoidable itch to see the stupid walk of fame, and up there they can also tell themselves they saw the stupid Hollywood sign. :ROFLMAO: . But I love that view and the observatory is cool and inexpensive.

I like that most suggestions are geared towards the South Bay which is rather close to our location. This is starting to take shape.

I'm pitching the idea of spending a day in Avalon, that sounds absolutely fantastic. Cons are the time it takes to get there and back plus having to arrive 1 hour before departure. but as someone who's been to SoCal so many times it would be great to actually see something not only new but most possibly the best there is to see. I haven't explored the South Bay as much in my years either so I'll probably put a lot of focus in there while in LA.

As usual the erbb is coming through. Keep'em tips coming!! Thanks guys!

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Oh yeah, and The Getty. My sister is interested. I've been there already so she might do that while I'm in another city. Never been to the Getty Villa though. At the end of the day there's just way too much to do and all of it is cool, I'm gonna have to make choices. time consuming things to do are probably gonna have to go unless it's new for me (ex. Catalina).

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Mr. Brukuns--
As long as you are staying near Manhattan, a good place to consider for breakfast or lunch is the Strand House by the Pier. Not cheap, but not break the bank. Wonderful view and quite decent food, in a casual atmosphere. A mix of tourists and locals. If you don't wanna go there , there are a bunch of other places nearby. https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-strand-house-manhattan-beach
That sounds like a place I could take my sister to on her Bday. I like the idea of eating with an ocean view. Checked the menu and it does look a bit on the expensive side though... multiply everything x5 and you will understand where I'm coming from. still looks very cool and I will compare with a few other options. thanks!

Reactions: ringer

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
If you're going to be primarily in the South Bay, you'll have to engage in one of the quintessential activities of the locals. A bike ride on the Strand.
Rent bikes in Redondo or Manhattan and cruise up and down the Strand on a sunny day. Checking out the architecture of the beach front homes is a cool way to spend an afternoon.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If you're going to be primarily in the South Bay, you'll have to engage in one of the quintessential activities of the locals. A bike ride on the Strand.
Rent bikes in Redondo or Manhattan and cruise up and down the Strand on a sunny day. Checking out the architecture of the beach front homes is a cool way to spend an afternoon.
I love doing that... but I have a 6y old, not sure how this could go down. They probably have child seats... but I may lack the leg power. hahahaha

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Here's my suggestions for the Observatory:
  1. * When it gets crowded, it is sometimes (often?) not possible to park near the observatory, in which case you will have to park somewhere else and either hike up or take a DASH shuttle.
  2. * If this happens, most tourists park in the lot or on the street near the Greek Theatre and try to catch the shuttle from the stop at that location, but that is one of the last stops on the route and there may be a long line of tourists waiting and the shuttle may be full.
  3. * So, it may be a better strategy to park in the Los Feliz neighborhood or somewhere else on the DASH shuttle route and catch the shuttle before it gets to the stop near the Greek Theatre (see the map linked above for locations)
  4. * What we usually do with visitors who want to go to the Observatory is park right about here and walk up the Boy Scout trail to the Observatory, it's a relatively short and easy hike and there are views along the way
  5. * Food suggestions: Cafe Los Feliz at 2118 Hillhurst (good neighborhood bakery/breakfast spot, breakfast burrito and any egg dishes with soujuk sausage are really good, not to be confused with the similarly named Los Feliz Cafe which is in Atwater Village), Marrouch (Lebanese/Armenian restaurant in a dumpy stripmall, has been there for decades, we go there whenever we are in the neighborhood)
An alternate destination with views is the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook in Culver City, I go there once or twice a week to climb the staircase there. The ocean, city, and mountain views are awesome, and it's a popular place to watch the sunset (which right now is setting behind the Santa Monica mountains from that viewpoint). Very few tourists here but it's a popular urban workout spot. You see lots of families with kids here on the weekends, it's a fun place to explore, lots of bunny rabbits there right now. More fun for little kids than the Observatory imo. You can get there relatively quickly from the LAX/Manhattan beach area using La Cienega. Free street parking on Jefferson, but you'd need to take the trail, walking path, or stairs up to the top from there (and there are not infrequent breakins if you do street parking). There is also a paid lot up at the top of Hetzler road which I'd recommend. Try Destroyer for breakfast, or Pasta Sisters for lunch or dinner, both are nearby in Culver City.

Other recommendations:
* Fishing with Dynamite in Manhattan Beach
* The Rose in Venice
* Malibu Farm Cafe at the end of the pier in Malibu for breakfast/lunch, much nicer pier than Redondo and more scenic for walking on the beach

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Here's my suggestions for the Observatory:
  1. * When it gets crowded, it is sometimes (often?) not possible to park near the observatory, in which case you will have to park somewhere else and either hike up or take a DASH shuttle.
  2. * If this happens, most tourists park in the lot or on the street near the Greek Theatre and try to catch the shuttle from the stop at that location, but that is one of the last stops on the route and there may be a long line of tourists waiting and the shuttle may be full.
  3. * So, it may be a better strategy to park in the Los Feliz neighborhood or somewhere else on the DASH shuttle route and catch the shuttle before it gets to the stop near the Greek Theatre (see the map linked above for locations)
  4. * What we usually do with visitors who want to go to the Observatory is park right about here and walk up the Boy Scout trail to the Observatory, it's a relatively short and easy hike and there are views along the way
  5. * Food suggestions: Cafe Los Feliz at 2118 Hillhurst (good neighborhood bakery/breakfast spot, breakfast burrito and any egg dishes with soujuk sausage are really good, not to be confused with the similarly named Los Feliz Cafe which is in Atwater Village), Marrouch (Lebanese/Armenian restaurant in a dumpy stripmall, has been there for decades, we go there whenever we are in the neighborhood)
An alternate destination with views is the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook in Culver City, I go there once or twice a week to climb the staircase there. The ocean, city, and mountain views are awesome, and it's a great place to watch the sunset (which right now is setting behind the Santa Monica mountains from that viewpoint). Very few tourists here but it's a popular urban workout spot. You see lots of families with kids here on the weekends, it's a fun place to explore, lots of bunny rabbits there right now. More fun for little kids than the Observatory imo. You can get there relatively quickly from the LAX/Manhattan beach area using La Cienega. Free street parking on Jefferson, but you'd need to take the trail, walking path, or stairs up to the top from there (and there are not infrequent breakins if you do street parking). There is also a paid lot up at the top of Hetzler road which I'd recommend. Try Destroyer for breakfast, or Pasta Sisters for lunch or dinner, both are nearby in Culver City.

Other recommendations:
* Fishing with Dynamite in Manhattan Beach
* The Rose in Venice
* Malibu Farm Cafe at the end of the pier in Malibu for breakfast/lunch, much nicer pier than Redondo and more scenic for walking on the beach
If you’re reasonably fit just walk from Los Feliz. Park around Los Feliz and Hillhurst. Just make sure you check the parking signs on Los Feliz if it’s during the week. If it’s the wrong hour they tow like clockwork. Go get a sandwich at little Dom’s deli. Maybe spot a celeb. Then walk up Hillhurst to Vermont. The trail to the observatory goes up on the left just before the Greek theater. It’s a good little hike and there’s plenty more above the observatory if you want it. I used to live right there and did it several times a week.