LA and OC suggestions

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
If you’re reasonably fit just walk from Los Feliz. Park around Los Feliz and Hillhurst. Just make sure you check the parking signs on Los Feliz if it’s during the week. If it’s the wrong hour they tow like clockwork. Go get a sandwich at little Dom’s deli. Maybe spot a celeb. Then walk up Hillhurst to Vermont. The trail to the observatory goes up on the left just before the Greek theater. It’s a good little hike and there’s plenty more above the observatory if you want it. I used to live right there and did it several times a week.
Yep, there's a link to that trailhead in my post. This is good info especially the part about the parking signs...at rush hour they tow all parked cars on Los Feliz. I think Brukuns could probably handle the walk from Los Feliz, but it sounds like there will be a 3 year old accompanying them so parking near that trail may be the best option if not taking the DASH, it wouldn't be too hard to carry a 3 year old up the trail if she can't do the hike herself.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Yep, there's a link to that trailhead in my post. This is good info especially the part about the parking signs...at rush hour they tow all parked cars on Los Feliz. I think Brukuns could probably handle the walk from Los Feliz, but it sounds like there will be a 3 year old accompanying them so parking near that trail may be the best option if not taking the DASH, it wouldn't be too hard to carry a 3 year old up the trail if she can't do the hike herself.
That's excellent info. I had to park on the side of the road once but already pretty close to the observatory. That was ages ago so I'm sure it's a lot busier today. I don't think they had this shuttle last time I was there... seems to be the best option!

The kids can't handle big walks but we're gonna have a couple strollers for good measure. Stairs may be a problem though.

Thanks for all the amazing tips so far, I'm taking notes very carefully.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That sounds like a place I could take my sister to on her Bday. I like the idea of eating with an ocean view. Checked the menu and it does look a bit on the expensive side though... multiply everything x5 and you will understand where I'm coming from. still looks very cool and I will compare with a few other options. thanks!
I’m always on a budget. La Playita is right on the beach in Hermosa, one block north of the pier and is inexpensive. Nice patio to catch the sunset. It’s been around around 45 years. On the north side of the bay in Topanga we always go to the Reel Inn on PCH for fish tacos. Again reasonably priced and has the casual Canyon vibe with outdoor patio.

Good budget day in downtown- MOCA (museum of contemporary art) I think it’s free (you might have to reserve online), then take Angel’s Flight down to Central Market. A few blocks away is the Bradbury Building (famous for Bladerunner scenes). Not too far from there is City Hall where you can go up to the observation deck for a view of the city (free). Finally walk down First Street to Little Tokyo. There’s another MOCA gallery (free) and Tons of places to eat but our favorite is Suehiro, Japanese comfort food, also been there 40+ years and is budget friendly.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sounds awesome! will people throw rocks at me and the children though??? :drowning:
No. In fact go to Lunada Bay (it is a beautiful spot) and join the the locals pelting people who dare to go down the trail with stones. It’s great fun.

Then drive around the peninsula and go to Trump National golf course and throw rocks at the diners on the terrace. Woohoo!

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
But seriously, after visiting LA so many times I'm shocked I missed such a beautiful spot. Abalone Cove looks amazing and so darn close!!!!! I wonder what parking is like.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
We are probably gonna chill at the beach with the kids a bit in the mornings... Our hotels are close to the Manhattan Pier... would you guys suggest specific stretches of beach that might be better for just chilling on the sand and in the ocean with the kids? Or is all that stretch of beach sorta the same?

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
We are probably gonna chill at the beach with the kids a bit in the mornings... Our hotels are close to the Manhattan Pier... would you guys suggest specific stretches of beach that might be better for just chilling on the sand and in the ocean with the kids? Or is all that stretch of beach sorta the same?
Just hang out near the Pier, especially if you can walk there. Lots of options nearby if anyone gets hungry/thirsty.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Is that near Dana Point? If so you can visit dear old granddad!
View attachment 163654
Palos Verdes.

I'm back to my little shithole already though.

BTW, as expected the homeless situation in LA didn't impress me one bit. Yes, it's worse than it was back in 2017 when I had last visited, but nothing like what people paint it out to be online. Some bridges have a few communities living under them, but not all of them. Places that already had a bunch of homeless (like Downtown Santa Monica) now have more... you already had to deal with the homeless before, so this is nothing new, there are just more of them though. Felt absolutely safe the entire time. Don't worry fellas, LA is still ways out of becoming a 3rd world city.

Reactions: Subway