Kookiest locals???

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Feel like I saw one today. I dubbed him The Mayor of Porto Tower 45. He was paddling for everything and missing most. Finally we are next to each other, he's deeper but still not up to his feet. So I take it. He was the only guy I dropped in on, and it was 100% with intention. I hear "Fuck man!" He's on a Neck Beard. I kinda keep my eye on him and keep my distance. So many nice little peaks it was easy to avoid him but still hang nearby. He keeps missing most waves and Huntington hopping on others. I thought I flailed but man, he's a total spaz when he does make it up.

I get one in and realize he had just exited too. "Oh fuck" I think, here it comes. He starts yelling about etiquette and how long I've been surfing and I should take a lesson. Then he says, it's a big world out there, other people exist besides you. I say, man I backed off of every other wave someone was on and he says yeah mostly but I saw you drop in a few times and I say no man, I backed off every other one. Then I said thank you for explaining and I kept walking and he kept yelling.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Windansea, 7/24/2004:
Very small surf, but since it was my last day and I had most of the morning, I decided to jump in. Wanted to surf at San Onofre with the alt.surfing.longboard crew, but nobody wanted to play. So I settled on good old Windansea.

At least there was virtually no crowd--mostly younger guys apparently skipping school. However, a couple of these kids were punks who were obviously not all there. They were actually hassling me, first whispering about my longboard, then innocently tossing things (kelp bulbs) at me, and even yelling while I was riding something like, "Go back to Clairemont." WTF!?!

Finally, another kid (their friend) paddled up to me and said that his friend (one of the two perps) wanted to know if I was from Surfshot.com (I had my disposable camera wrapped around my neck). I took the opportunity and paddled up to the two guys, right into their faces. Asked them pointblank in as demanding a voice that I could muster, "What brah, you like ask me something?"

You could almost see them backpedaling as I approached them, hesitant on what to do next--that cracked me up. Cautiously, they asked what I was going to do with the photos. I told them that it was for my personal website and that I was sensitive to the localism there.

This kind of eased they guys up a bit. They thought that I was going to "expose" the break more than it already has been (pretty funny really, considering that it is one of the most populous spots along the coast).

The kids were tripping on my board. I told them I borrowed it from my good friend (the famous) Tom Tweed, who is in the Windansea Surf Club. They were like, "Dude, that board gives you executive privilege, man." I just had to chuckle to myself.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Are sh!t Pipe Locals still a thing? I used to love to mess around on that wave in the early to mid 2000s just to fvvk with the local sponger crew if nothing else. Had a few "run ins" but never anything beyond a cold stare and couple of words exchanged.

One day I pulled into the parking lot to check it. There was no surf, one to two feet and the pipe was swamped. A couple of tourists were coming back from the beach with liquor store boogie boards, no fins, I don't even think they had wetsuits. Seemingly out of nowhere this dude jumps out of his lifted truck, shirtless, covered in tattoos, screaming at these poor tourist kids about how he's a sh!t Pipe Local and they had no business paddling out at his beach. I don't think I've ever seen a more confused look on a person's face these young inlanders trying to figure out what a sh!t Pipe Local was and how they had incurred his wrath.
A long time ago there used to be a pier near there we called sh!t pipe and it got pretty good. That was a long time ago. The little jetty is a joke. So is Pratt's Reef. I've seen that place trying but never really doing it.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
One of the only times I've been spoken to was by some little kid at Dume who told me, "This is a private beach. How did you get in here? You can't surf here!" I had to laugh...maybe dad or big brother told him to say that to anyone he doesn't recognize.
Oh man I was at a restaurant bar having a drink and these two women, mother and daughter, were chatting me up. Turns out they'are Dume locals, house in Malibu somewhere. I was this close to giving them my business card, either one would have been fun.
Are sh!t Pipe Locals still a thing? I used to love to mess around on that wave in the early to mid 2000s just to fvvk with the local sponger crew if nothing else. Had a few "run ins" but never anything beyond a cold stare and couple of words exchanged.
I've been driving by for two years, never really seen it working. Usually more bros in the lot than in the water. But I don't know anything. From what I hear Nicolas Canyon SB has a local crew that can get nasty.

Reactions: maybe and Ifallalot

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
It's been many years, but I've caught sh!t checking the waves solo at Wind-n-Sea and Seaside reef by clowns who look like Spicoli flunkies. They're never alone when they talk sh!t - pussies.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Oh man I was at a restaurant bar having a drink and these two women, mother and daughter, were chatting me up. Turns out they'are Dume locals, house in Malibu somewhere. I was this close to giving them my business card, either one would have been fun.

I've been driving by for two years, never really seen it working. Usually more bros in the lot than in the water. But I don't know anything. From what I hear Nicolas Canyon SB has a local crew that can get nasty.

Lolz. Watch out for Stinky @ 1:39, he's the ringleader.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Lolz. Watch out for Stinky @ 1:39, he's the ringleader.

Not a single one of those rides was worth recording.
If you're goofy I suppose it's worth it. Plenty of other waves nearby. Been here two years and didn't know that was Zero's...wonder why its called that.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's been many years, but I've caught sh!t checking the waves solo at Wind-n-Sea and Seaside reef by clowns who look like Spicoli flunkies. They're never alone when they talk sh!t - pussies.
That reminds me.

This one morning I'm sitting in my car at Seaside along the red "No Parking" line for a brief minute or two checking the 1-2 ft conditions.

So you know how the asphalt meets a wide sidewalk before the sand begins?

Guy in a truck pulled onto the sidewalk section and slowly pulled up alongside me blocking the view of the water and leaned out a bit to stinkeye.

He wasn't watching the road (sidewalk) cause he was too busy looking at me.

Then he gunned it.

Well, there were two women walking on the sidewalk right in front of his truck... good thing he looked where he was going and swerved just in time because he almost plowed them both.

Then he goes to park and I see him pulling out SUP sh!t and heading towards Tabletops. lol.