Kookiest locals???

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
That one seems a case of so many locals no one knows whose a local.

The fights between locals are the best.

Lots of funny stuff witnessed there.
Ex Jetty transplant "loc" here now living in PNW... took me 10 years of living right there before I was accepted. Good group of guys (and girls) and like most things in OB, the people change but the characters stay the same. I'll always cherish the time I spent there.

One of my favorites was when *unnamed to protect the guilty* (who was always one of the first to get worked up when there was a crowd, but was always very good about calling out rulebreakers/newbies and sending them in) called priority as a set started rolling down the Jetty because he claimed he paid more in property taxes than the rest of us. ;)

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
It s
ob jetty is kookland. one AM checkig the waves, its 1 foot dogshit. so im just chillin watching the ocean thinkin what am i gonna do with my day, theres no waves, maybe go ride my new skate! and all the sudden some guy with aboard under his arm in tbhe parkign lot starts yelling sh!t at me. "m'fer dont even think of paddling out! " im thinking u kook thres bsarely a ripple, said nothing, if he ever tried anythign hed have a surprise. they c u surf good ur a target anywgher
LMAO. I love OB.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
never had any issues at zero's and im no regular there. couple lazy side eyes in the lot while checking but once in the water its all gravy, find my spot & get plenty of waves.
One of my main spots in late 80s to late 90s; would see rwright often there. Hardly would call it localized; Biscuit the sealion would give more stinkeye than anyone. It's a really user-friendly wave to surf; well, aside from that shorebreak which could/would ruin you. Last time I surfed there was in late 2000s (I think?) and was way more crowded than waves really deserved. Similar to County Valley, surfing talent there was generally pretty low (with a few very notable exceptions), not a problem to get most any wave you wanted. I can't imagine what it is like there now; probably a complete shitshow. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Reactions: CutnSnip

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I used to get looked at for riding a SUP in Southern California.

I’m 6’3 and about 240

Everytime anyone would vibe me or say something I’d just paddle up and ask if they had issues and of course they never did
That always helps.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Just like where one guy mentioned in the Tropical Activity thread that it was really East Coast heavy, this thread is very West Coast heavy. Everytime I've been to the West Coast the vibe is very different in the water. A lot less conversations and at some places people just dont seam to be enjoying themselves at all. Might just be the places I've surfed out there.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
One of my main spots in late 80s to late 90s; would see rwright often there. Hardly would call it localized; Biscuit the sealion would give more stinkeye than anyone. It's a really user-friendly wave to surf; well, aside from that shorebreak which could/would ruin you. Last time I surfed there was in late 2000s (I think?) and was way more crowded than waves really deserved. Similar to County Valley, surfing talent there was generally pretty low (with a few very notable exceptions), not a problem to get most any wave you wanted. I can't imagine what it is like there now; probably a complete shitshow. :roflmao:
I surfed it pretty regularly for a few years. It was still pretty empty until about 10 years ago. Featured swells would get a crowd but plenty of fun days with 2-5 people in the water. Back then there was a pretty regular cast of characters - including a bunch of Israelis - but no real localism. I hardly ever surf it anymore, but when I have it's more crowded than ever and the new crew of regulars - from what I could gather - seem to be entitled adult beginners that are about as obnoxious as they come. You can still get plenty of waves, but it's not worth having to listen to them yacking about all kinds of bullshit at full volume for hours on end. :toilet:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Black suit
White board
Instant local 805 but only get vibbing rights if you surf a CI:monkey:
Worse West SB county adult learner "locals" who when said spots actually had real locals they played organized sports instead and or surfed cam'Puss. Now they are locals many years after actual locals either burned out, died., or moved to spots with actual waves etc.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Black suit
White board
Instant local 805 but only get vibbing rights if you surf a CI:monkey:
Worse West SB county adult learner "locals" who when said spots actually had real locals they played organized sports instead and or surfed cam'Puss. Now they are locals many years after actual locals either burned out, died., or moved to spots with actual waves etc.
So, if you still surf, you're not a "real" local?
Fck, I better stop surfing :roflmao:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Not at all I am talking about all the quitters or adult learners who claim they surfed way back when and now try to carry local status:monkey: Sure you know one of the biggest kooks who has local surf web site and sales local only gear at his supermarket:drowning:

Reactions: Boneroni

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Someone please post the vid of "Skinny Kenny" the transplant from Lunada who tried regulating a spot on the Central Coast.
I already said this under a different handle years and years ago, but apparently this board likes rehashing things over and over. I lived near and for that wave at that time, knew everyone who surfed there, and kenny was absolutely in the right, the guy who he was quarreling with grew up in the area *but does not surf that wave*, and was filming the place for his kook "brand". Nothing is kookier than filming a place like that for your bullshit internet self promotion. Everyone who surfs there took kenny's side over that guy. I was so pissed at him for filming there and making an internet thing out of that. I'd have burned that guy every time I saw him, but he does not surf there. Fuck, please stop telling this story if you don't know what was going on.

I'm really not trying to be all aggro at you in particular, but years later I'm still mad at that guy, that by breaking local norms he was able to be dishonest about what happened, and that the only way to respond to that is further internet publicity.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I surfed it pretty regularly for a few years. It was still pretty empty until about 10 years ago. Featured swells would get a crowd but plenty of fun days with 2-5 people in the water. Back then there was a pretty regular cast of characters - including a bunch of Israelis - but no real localism. I hardly ever surf it anymore, but when I have it's more crowded than ever and the new crew of regulars - from what I could gather - seem to be entitled adult beginners that are about as obnoxious as they come. You can still get plenty of waves, but it's not worth having to listen to them yacking about all kinds of bullshit at full volume for hours on end. :toilet:
I had moved away at about the time those Israelis started setting up shop.

Many fun days there without too many crowds; this was when you parked where the lifeguard tower is now and then just ran down the iceplant. Pretty regular crew of bodyboarders and surfers there back then, was also a good separation between outside point/reef and shorebreak - similar to Salt Creek.

Sounds like Kanan and Malibu Canyon need a good landslide to close them down. That one year was beautiful. 1/4th the normal crowd.

• Love
Reactions: sizzld1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I already said this under a different handle years and years ago, but apparently this board likes rehashing things over and over. I lived near and for that wave at that time, knew everyone who surfed there, and kenny was absolutely in the right, the guy who he was quarreling with grew up in the area *but does not surf that wave*, and was filming the place for his kook "brand". Nothing is kookier than filming a place like that for your bullshit internet self promotion. Everyone who surfs there took kenny's side over that guy. I was so pissed at him for filming there and making an internet thing out of that. I'd have burned that guy every time I saw him, but he does not surf there. fook, please stop telling this story if you don't know what was going on.
While I have no horse in this race, this sounds right. That dude did more to whore out surfing in this area than anyone. Always seems to have his mobile billboard van parked right in front of the webcams as well :roflmao:

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
I was out alone at reef north of S.F. and a huge elephant sea lion popped up and gave me some serious stink eye. I paddled in pretty fast.
Then I said fook it, and went back out, the waves were pretty fun.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
:unsure:If you've had many people tell you that you should wait your turn....just maybe...
no. yesterday a wavestormer came out and sat between me and my long time friend. he paddled and pearled on the wave i was already on. i politely told him to go down the beach. safety first. spread the people out. saves a lot of frustration and collisions. the guy just paddled away after apologizing. i could have told him off, but he was nice. rule #1. be nice.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
black suits and white boards used to mean 805 local. these days, kids wear anything, and usually have color. the one thing that will get you sh!t is a CI board. gotta ride a soul or a bonzer, maybe a roberts or the rare proctor, but those guys usually surf ventura. soul is the local board.