Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
The problem I see with all these younger California pros, is that they really don’t have anything to offer - they aren’t marketable. Kade and Jett are virtually interchangeable and boring. Cole is smarter, and at least coming in with the Dennis Rodman hairstyles to distinguish himself.

Say what you want about Ozzie Wright, but he has managed to stay on Volcom for 20+ years, and does his music and art on the side. Maybe one of the best matches in the industry, in terms of rider and brand.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i think it’s pretty simple - brands want leaders not followers.

most kids are followers looking for their leader.

Reactions: sizzld1

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
best advice I could give any kid aspiring to be a pro surfer is to be multi-dimensional. Learn how to shape, play music, read books, artwork…. Makes you much more interesting, marketable, and creates a softer transition post-surf career.

All these San Clemente pros are singular and blur together. I’m guessing they all come from money, and are not too concerned about their futures. I’ve read that the Colapintos come from serious cash, perhaps rivaling Coffin bros money.

Chloe was fortunate to catch the tail-end of the surf industry gravy train, and should be set for life… or at least won’t blink when his silly urban
wear brand experiment goes bye bye.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
best advice I could give any kid aspiring to be a pro surfer is to be multi-dimensional. Learn how to shape, play music, read books, artwork…. Makes you much more interesting, marketable, and creates a softer transition post-surf career.

All these San Clemente pros are singular and blur together. I’m guessing they all come from money, and are not too concerned about their futures. I’ve read that the Colapintos come from serious cash, perhaps rivaling Coffin bros money.

Chloe was fortunate to catch the tail-end of the surf industry gravy train, and should be set for life… or at least won’t blink when his silly urban
wear brand experiment goes bye bye.
It would be much healthier for kids to be "multi-dimensional" and do these activities anyways (often requiring support of present, accountable, and nurturing parents) than as a ploy to make themselves more marketable and solidify/ extend their surfing career.

btw, Kolohe actually comes off as pretty likable in that podcast.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I’m sure Chloe is a nice enough guy. It’s just absurd that he is lashing out since he got cut. Lots of pros have been cut and aren’t whining like he is. And he’s not helping his case with the clown wear he’s pedaling.

Having said that, I would much rather go on a trip with Chloe, than Wardo.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
lol -

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I’ve read that the Colapintos come from serious cash, perhaps rivaling Coffin bros money.
I don't know about that. Maybe they are but they don't act like it.

Their dad was a lifeguard, then an elementary school teacher. During summer, mom and dad ran a surf camp for a while. Then they started a non-profit to take military families surfing (or something of the sort).

Like a lot of San Clemente families, I'm sure most of their wealth came from buying a house in town when it was relatively cheap and benefiting from the crazy appreciation in values. Believe it or not, San Clemente was pretty blue collar before the 2000's. It's changed a lot since then.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I’m sure Chloe is a nice enough guy. It’s just absurd that he is lashing out since he got cut. Lots of pros have been cut and aren’t whining like he is. And he’s not helping his case with the clown wear he’s pedaling.

Having said that, I would much rather go on a trip with Chloe, than Wardo.
I'd pick Wardo over Kolohe.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah, I don’t know about traveling with Wardo. With Chloe, at least you know he isn’t going to fuck your chick, want to fight you, or drink all your beer. :monkey:
Or hide weed in your bag, watch you get arrested for it, then just dip out.

Or decide he really wants to use your rent-a-car to drop someone off at the airport, then just leaves the car at departures drop off and flies off the continent.

Or decide he wants to practice donuts in your rental car and does like darkslide across a bridge, totals it, and you eat the insurance.

Or .........

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and ReForest