Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What is the ROI on sponsoring these guys?They shouldnt sponsor anyone and focus on quality and price point.
I guess it would depend on what time of marketing strategy you are going for?

The business model where you pay an influencer to talk about the product and promote it works... but I think it's like a "one-and-done" kinda thing and then move on to the next product to promote. There is no long term relationship. Its a pay for clicks kinda sales model (IMO) to sell a specific product.

But if you have a designated representative that is wearing or riding your products 24/7/365 then people will see the "brand" and not just the "product". I think that is how you build brand loyalty and a community around your brand.

Look at that kid that got paid millions of dollars to open up kid toys on video and assemble them and play with them. I'm sure lots of kids and parents benefitted from his videos, but its just selling a "product" - I dont see it as selling the the "brand".

Paying an athlete $60k-$70k a year ($5k to $6k a month) is nothing to a major sponsor and I think its a good ROI if the brand is growing.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014

The business model where you pay an influencer to talk about the product and promote it works... but I think it's like a "one-and-done" kinda thing and then move on to the next product to promote. There is no long term relationship. Its a pay for clicks kinda sales model (IMO) to sell a specific product.

But if you have a designated representative that is wearing or riding your products 24/7/365 then people will see the "brand" and not just the "product". I think that is how you build brand loyalty and a community around your brand.

Look at that kid that got paid millions of dollars to open up kid toys on video and assemble them and play with them. I'm sure lots of kids and parents benefitted from his videos, but its just selling a "product" - I dont see it as selling the the "brand".

Paying an athlete $60k-$70k a year ($5k to $6k a month) is nothing to a major sponsor and I think its a good ROI if the brand is growing.
But how many people that buy the product in droves are seeing someone like Chloe Andino? My friend's wife is a VP of Finance for an outdoor company and they just don't see enough ROI on athletes when they run the numbers. You don't make much money off of just the core and even then, it's diluted with your competitors. If a company wants to make real $$, they have to sell to the masses. The masses arent at t street watching chloe twirl.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA

So they have to make $5k to $6k a month in profit just to break even on the athlete. What is the profit margin on a pair of trunks or a wetsuit?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
But how many people that buy the product in droves are seeing someone like Chloe Andino? My friend's wife is a VP of Finance for an outdoor company and they just don't see enough ROI on athletes when they run the numbers. You don't make much money off of just the core and even then, it's diluted with your competitors. If a company wants to make real $$, they have to sell to the masses. The masses arent at t street watching chloe twirl.
I agree, but not all athletes are the same so it's hard to draw a line across the table and say that no athletes are better for business.

If you have an athlete that is unique and charismatic and they bring something to the table, then I think it makes sense to bring them on. Assuming they align with the brand.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
So they have to make $5k to $6k a month in profit just to break even on the athlete. What is the profit margin on a pair of trunks or a wetsuit?
If you have a large enough operation to even consider paying an athlete then $5k or $6k a month shouldn't be an issue. Heck... I'm sure there are big name professional surfers out there that would take $2k to $3k. The point is, I think the benefits or having an athlete outweigh not having one.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Sports marketing has obviously changed a lot. With the demise of traditional surf media, a lot of social media content is just scrolling for entertainment. Even if someone like Chloe is getting views on their instagram, it still has to translate directly into product sales. A lot of us old guys are not buying O'neill or Quik or Bong anything but still watch all the clips these surfers put out. From what I see around, it doesn't seem like the groms want to wear branded surf gear nowadays either. So it makes it tough to justify. but I guess you gotta show someone using the product in the marketing...

Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Sports marketing has obviously changed a lot. With the demise of traditional surf media, a lot of social media content is just scrolling for entertainment. Even if someone like Chloe is getting views on their instagram, it still has to translate directly into product sales. A lot of us old guys are not buying O'neill or Quik or Bong anything but still watch all the clips these surfers put out. From what I see around, it doesn't seem like the groms want to wear branded surf gear nowadays either. So it makes it tough to justify. but I guess you gotta show someone using the product in the marketing...
And this my friends is where Yuri comes in.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
What the hell is the deal with Yeti? It's a fucken esky (cooler, chillybin, whatever) for goodness sake. And how come anyone associated with Patagonia must also have Yeti stuff?
what kind of cooler do you use, bro??
I always laugh when I see a yeti sticker on the back of a car window (well, usually a truck /SUV). So rugged! I could see if you're fishing/ hunting and really need to keep meat cold. But otherwise, completely overbuilt/overpriced for most users... who don't honestly need their beer kept ice cold for 4 days.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think Kolohe gets a bad rap.

He was called a spoiled brat for punching his board a few times during contests (Andy did it and everyone called him 'passionate').

He vocalizes some criticism towards Oneil for dropping him and starts a company that appeals to 20 somethings (Dane did the same when things ended with Quiksilver).

Expectations of him were extreme from very early on. He was destined to fail from the beginning because it was impossible for him to meet that hype. For some reason, I think people still hold that against him.

Last edited:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I think Kolohe gets a bad rap.

He was called a spoiled brat for punching his board a few times during contests (Andy did it and everyone called him 'passionate').

He vocalizes some criticism towards Oneil for dropping him and starts a company that appeals to 20 somethings (Dane did the same when things ended with Quiksilver).

Expectations of him were extreme from very early on. He was destine to fail from the beginning because it was impossible for him to meet that hype. For some reason, I think people still hold that against him.
Chloe was called a brat because he was one. Even he admits it.

As others have said, rich kids raised by the surf industry - with every advantage imaginable - whining about the surf industry destroying surf culture and claiming they and other SGSCs (spoiled groms of San Clemente) are here to revive the true core is about as ghey as it gets. :dancing:

What does "core" look like to these kids? E-bike gangs and personal surf coaches? :socrazy:

Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
Chloe was called a brat because he was one. Even he admits it.

As others have said, rich kids raised by the surf industry - with every advantage imaginable - whining about the surf industry destroying surf culture and claiming they and other SGSCs (spoiled groms of San Clemente) are here to revive the true core is about as ghey as it gets. :dancing:

What does "core" look like to these kids? E-bike gangs and personal surf coaches? :socrazy:
Here would be a great example of core