knife sharpener

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I am interested in finding a good solution for sharpening at home

I don't like sending my knives out

I have been looking at stuff like these two products which have been advertised prominently online

I'm interested in hearing other people's experience on the matter

1685471298935.png

1685471346887.png

thank you in advance for your help on this matter:

1685471466892.png

Reactions: hammies

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I use King whetstones. If your knife is already rather sharp you won't need anything under a 1000. (and a grittier one is cheap if you need it)... I sharp them with the 1000 then refine it with the 6000... The 1000 already gets the job done but using the 6000 it gets scary sharp. Takes practice though, I obsessed over it for a little while. It's a nice skill to have me thinks.

1685474965667.png

It's all about the Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It would all depend on the quality of your knives. If they are stamped, they are most likely POS knives so whatever. If they are forged, learn to use a stone.
This! I ordered an expensive forged knife after I moved to my apartment with a BBQ grill on the Balcony. It's definitely a skill you need to learn and practice a lot.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
ZWILLING 2-stage Pull-Through Sharpener, 32602-000 https://a.co/d/3TKts1O

i have this one
it works well for me
i’m no expert, so ymmv
I have a similar one but I only use it on my POS knives. It ruins the sides of the knife and it won't get nearly as sharp as what you can get using a whetstone. But I see the allure, learning to sharp them knives is a frustrating, pain in the ass experience... it takes one wrong pass to ruin the edge. And even after you learned it still takes 10x longer than just using one of these.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I have a similar one but I only use it on my POS knives. It ruins the sides of the knife and it won't get nearly as sharp as what you can get using a whetstone. But I see the allure, learning to sharp them knives is a frustrating, pain in the ass experience... it takes one wrong pass to ruin the edge.
Jeezus, man, calm down

Now I know what Kelly slater meant
:roflmao:

Jul 18, 2018
Whetstone is best but they're a bit of work.
If you want to get close to whetstone quality with out the work/skill, this is the best/easiest I've used:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Jeezus, man, calm down

Now I know what Kelly slater meant
:roflmao:
I wrote stuff and deleted it twice now... I think there's a joke somewhere I just didn't get, let's just leave it at that. I don't see anything wrong about my comment that would call for a "calm down" but I have to guess it's a language thing.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I didn’t know this
IMG_5808.jpeg
Most restaurant cooks I was around used a steel.

I had something like what @Chocki posted years ago and it worked ok but after reading the article above apparently ceramic doesn’t sharpen, it hones. I guess non abrasive?

A whetstone cuts. That’s why if you don’t maintain the proper angle consistently you’re screwed.

I have a hunk of some kind of stone (can’t remember the name) that I got years ago from my friend the butcher in Barrio
IMG_5809.jpeg
comes from way up the river. That’s what they use and they cut up mucho meat.

Our knives get plenty of misuse, sometimes outside of the kitchen, so owning good ones isn’t worth it.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Go to a farmers market and find the knife sharpener dude all the restaurant workers are going too.

get knife sharpened
cut arms off hooker
titfuck

Am conflicted.

Want to whole-heartedly recommend, laugh at reference, and groan at imagery.

2 out of 3 says....

PS

Knives and sharpening at home means time with whetstones. You can cheat by sharpening with a wood disc from leftover plywood using a garage sale bench grinder by first experimenting with the stamped blades from Goodwill on the weekend for a few Saturday mornings. If you don't lose a finger, ruin an eye, blow the circuit [crappy garage sale bench grinder] and the stamped blades live through the summer without needing a steel, you are ready to advance.....

PPS

Dear old dad had some friends (now likely dead of age) from Gerber (back when they made good stuff) who endlessly deriding various mechanical sharping tools sold at stores. Maybe those tools have gotten better with time, I don't know. The problem they always said was something along the lines of "consumer grade mechanicals speed up the mistake process".

Last edited:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
When I was geeking out on sharpening videos and sh!t I learned all sorts of things and this was one of them. A honing steel is great to maintain your knife without having to go back to the stones too soon. But once the edge is lost, the honing still will do nothing... It basically straightens the microscopic curved edges, it's how it works. But if those edges are worn out, there's nothing to straighten.

1685492096602.png

when using a honing steel you, you have to hold the blade with the edge towards you and move it away from you so you straighten that edge. too many people do it wrong basically bending that edge even more or even breaking it.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When I was geeking out on sharpening videos and sh!t I learned all sorts of things and this was one of them. A honing steel is great to maintain your knife without having to go back to the stones too soon. But once the edge is lost, the honing still will do nothing... It basically straightens the microscopic curved edges, it's how it works. But if those edges are worn out, there's nothing to straighten.

View attachment 155278

when using a honing steel you, you have to hold the blade with the edge towards you and move it away from you so you straighten that edge. too many people do it wrong basically bending that edge even more or even breaking it.
Do you even strop bro???

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF and Aruka

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Do you even strop bro???
I never got that far... figured my knives were sharp enough after the 6000 grit stone. But yeah, stropping would be the icing on the cake. But it meant buying even more gear and paste and sh!t... so I decided to just leave it alone.

Reactions: Chocki

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Chocki beat me to it.

stropping is the way, the truth, the light.

if you have a good strop and you use it fairly often you will rarely have to sharpen and your knife will stay shaving sharp.

kangaroo leather is worth the premium. honing compound is cheap. just avoid the paste ones.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
as far as sharpeners, the spyderco sharpmaker is good and fairly easy to use. it's a little small for chefs knives though IMO.

i think some good whetstones are hard to beat but for gods sake, watch some youtubes on sharpening so you have an idea of what you're actually trying to accomplish.

using a marker on the bevel so that you can see what you're removing and adjust as needed is one of the better tips I can give someone.

it's a skill. it takes practice but it's worth it.

this reminds me I have a ding in my chefs knife I need to fix and I've been putting it off because i know how much work it will be.

anyone on here living that tormek life? i want one for my gouges and chisels but it's hard to drop the bucks...

Reactions: Mr Doof and brukuns