Knife Attack at Netherlands High School!

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
That's not the best song off that album....

[video:youtube]rmlZLnkF0aU[/video]

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
the janitor said:
Autoprax said:
Janitor,

What is your beef?

I don't get the structure of your false dichotomy.

I'm not being a wise guy.

I took the post to imply that a knife is less efficient and effective than a machine gun.

But I can make an attribute substitution as easily and the next erbb dummy.

Maybe you did too?

Can you put into standard form?
there is an excellent chance that I have miscategorized frvcvs' post. Wait, this is the erBB so I'm not wrong.

The OP posits that we have two models to choose from:

Euro model - A knife wielding maniac attacks a high school and the students chase said maniac off armed with backpacks and pokemon cards. Nobody is hurt.

American Model - some maniac presumably attacks a high school with an AR and extended mags

These are apparently our only choices and also the only outcomes. Which is of course BS and - I think - a false dichotomy :shrug:

perhaps I've got the terminology wrong, but the framing of the argument is the same sort of thing I see from the extreme sides of both parties right now, which also happen to be dominating the conversation in the US body politic in my opinion. It's all about point scoring and showing how bad the other side is, instead of trying to solve a problem through compromise. I think that trend is holding us back.

So, to sum up, frvcvs* is bad for America :monkey:

* and fecal, squidly, gromsdad quite often

erBB sanctimonious bully pulpit shamer, OUT!
You inferred this intended conclusion.

Was this the OP's implied conclusion?

I didn't take it as that.

But I'm biased for sure.

Thinking about thinking is fun!

I agree the the extremes on either side are ruining the party for everyone.

Openness and orderliness compliment each other.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the janitor said:
Autoprax said:
Janitor,

What is your beef?

I took the post to imply that a knife is less efficient and effective than a machine gun.

Maybe you did too?

there is an excellent chance that I have miscategorized frvcvs' post. Wait, this is the erBB so I'm not wrong.

Euro model - A knife wielding maniac attacks a high school and the students chase said maniac off armed with backpacks and pokemon cards. Nobody is hurt.

American Model - some maniac presumably attacks a high school with an AR and extended mags

These are apparently our only choices and also the only outcomes. Which is of course BS and - I think - a false dichotomy :shrug:

perhaps I've got the terminology wrong, but the framing of the argument is the same sort of thing I see from the extreme sides of both parties right now, which also happen to be dominating the conversation in the US body politic in my opinion. It's all about point scoring and showing how bad the other side is, instead of trying to solve a problem through compromise. I think that trend is holding us back.

Right okay, I was wrong. You did answer.

No rollie heads. That's good. You're welcome. :hat:

The false dichotomy comes from the gun nuts.

Frvcvs's post was mocking it.

Did that go over your head?

You never brought up a false dichotomy when Grommy talks about guns as "inanimate objects" or when ifail is equating guns to cars or GWS to tubs or heart attacks or smoking.......

Never have you brought up false dichotomy.

Until now.

Weird, that.

This thread is the direct result of constant barrage of false dichotomies coming from the gun turds.

Recognise.

What's your stance on gun control? Curious.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
FecalFace said:
Right okay, I was wrong. You did answer.

No rollie heads. That's good. You're welcome. :hat:

The false dichotomy comes from the gun nuts.

Frvcvs's post was mocking it.

Did that go over your head?

You never brought up a false dichotomy when Grommy talks about guns as "inanimate objects" or when ifail is equating guns to cars or GWS to tubs or heart attacks or smoking.......

Never have you brought up false dichotomy.

Until now.

Weird, that.

This thread is the direct result of constant barrage of false dichotomies coming from the gun turds.

Recognise.

What's your stance on gun control? Curious.
I think both sides of the gun debate as played out here and in much of the media is missing the problem. It feels to me like each side is simply trying to score as many cheap points as possible and also backing themselves into a hardline corner.

I'm not well versed enough to have the ideal solution, but it seems weird to me that different states have such widely varying gun laws, with perhaps no minimum standard set at the federal level? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is some minimum level from the feds? I'm used to the CA standards, which I think go farther than most other states.

In any case, my sense is that a big part of the problem is the disconnect between the mental health complex and law enforcement. I think we now have to confront that crazily large gap to try and prevent some of the carnage we are seeing.

From a strategic standpoint, it is really weird (to me) that the NRA have painted themselves into such an extreme corner. They could propose some rational steps here and come out looking like heroes. This seems like a watershed moment for them and they may just get fun over for being too stubborn to consider any common sense changes. Maybe I've missed some suggestions of theirs though?

I'm a 2A supporter in general. I also think anyone that has a gun should get trained on how to properly used it and store it safely, but not sure that you can legally compel that behavior in a way that lines up with the rest of our constitutional rights.

edit - also, I have been a bit derelict in laying into egregious posts of a similar ilk from the right, I'll see if I can balance things out shortly :bricks:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the janitor said:
I think both sides of the gun debate as played out here and in much of the media is missing the problem. It feels to me like each side is simply trying to score as many cheap points as possible and also backing themselves into a hardline corner.
Exactly.
But many on the gun control side are willing to compromise. Including myself.
I don't have a problem with traditional hunting rifles or even handguns if there's proper regulation.
The NRA turds want to give none. 0 compromise. (That's a ZERO)
They want their ARs and bump stocks and they want to give them to retards.
They don't want to give an inch.

They need to listen to Autoprax and send more safety signals. :smile2:

the janitor said:
I'm not well versed enough to have the ideal solution, but it seems weird to me that different states have such widely varying gun laws, with perhaps no minimum standard set at the federal level? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is some minimum level from the feds? I'm used to the CA standards, which I think go farther than most other states.
100% agree.

When it comes to certain laws, like gun laws or drug laws, letting the "states decide"is a terrible idea.
It undermines the sensible laws in the sane states like California.

Gun turds like to bring up Chicago in every discussion about guns. What good is a gun regulation in a state (city) with no borders, where guns flow freely from surrounding areas that don't have such laws?

Pointless.

the janitor said:
In any case, my sense is that a big part of the problem is the disconnect between the mental health complex and law enforcement. I think we now have to confront that crazily large gap to try and prevent some of the carnage we are seeing.
Not sure what you mean. Being mentally ill is not a crime.

Allowing mentally ill easy access to military grade weaponry should be a crime.

Furthermore, the Vegas shooter was not showing the signs of mental illness.

Other than acquiring 47 weapons and countless rounds of ammo.
As long as THAT sort of behavior is not seen as a mental problem we will have mass shooting after mass shooting.

the janitor said:
From a strategic standpoint, it is really weird (to me) that the NRA have painted themselves into such an extreme corner. They could propose some rational steps here and come out looking like heroes. This seems like a watershed moment for them and they may just get fun over for being too stubborn to consider any common sense changes. Maybe I've missed some suggestions of theirs though?
If NRA gives an inch to the gun control crowd, they will lose support from retards like GromsDad.

Follow the money.

the janitor said:
edit - also, I have been a bit derelict in laying into egregious posts of a similar ilk from the right, I'll see if I can balance things out shortly :bricks:
Looking forward to it. :cheers:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
the janitor said:
Autoprax said:
Janitor,

What is your beef?

Maybe you did too?

I never said that these were the only possibilities. I was merely comparing these two possibilities and their outcomes. There is nothing false about that.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
frvcvs said:
the janitor said:
Autoprax said:
Janitor,

What is your beef?

Maybe you did too?

I never said that these were the only possibilities. I was merely comparing these two possibilities and their outcomes. There is nothing false about that.
hmm, perhaps I'm wrong on the false dichotomy description then, so I'm sorry about that :cheers:

I'm still going to ilk you with the political team sport label though, so you're still bad for America :hat:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
test_article said:
German prison guards receive two years of training in psychology...and it's working.
Shocker! American Police can use such training for dealing with the mentally unstable. It would save lives.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
frvcvs said:
test_article said:
German prison guards receive two years of training in psychology...and it's working.
Shocker! American Police can use such training for dealing with the mentally unstable. It would save lives.
Yes, but that wont be "tough on crime" which will not garner enough votes and the military-law enforcement industrial complex won't make any money on it.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
frvcvs said:
test_article said:
If US cops spend as much time in the classroom as they do on a shooting range and gym, we wouldn't have the problem of trigger happy, power drunk policing.

#roidrage

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
FecalFace said:
frvcvs said:
test_article said:
If US cops spend as much time in the classroom as they do on a shooting range and gym, we wouldn't have the problem of trigger happy, power drunk policing.

#roidrage
To be honest they don't spend enough time in the shooting range either. Most cops are wildly undertrained with their firearms. If you look at their annual training requirements and the amount of ammunition they're allotted it's pretty dismal to expect much from them unless they're proactive and seek further training on their own time.