Knee Pain

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Three times in the last month I tweaked my left knee surfing. The initial injury I hit the lip going backside and came down with just my toes keeping me connected to the board and my front leg out strait. Knee didn't bend in any bad directions. Pain just low grade and located below and to the outside of the knee cap.....directly beside but not in the patellar tendon. No tearing sensations.

Twice since I've done things that gave me the same pain and re-aggravated it after it felt better. Got slammed on a backside barrel and the other got launched out onto the flats. Was never bad enough to end a session but enough to have pain on stairs or riding a bike. Each time after a couple of days it feels better. Last night rode a bike at the gym for 20 minutes and its fired up again today.

Anybody experience something like this? Did I just jam something? Meniscus? Just getting old and running out of cartilage?
Its not really bad enough for me to go to the Dr. Just don't want to finish it off or wreck it......thus I was on the bike at the gym trying to strengthen it.

• Love
Reactions: mundus

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Three times in the last month I tweaked my left knee surfing. The initial injury I hit the lip going backside and came down with just my toes keeping me connected to the board and my front leg out strait. Knee didn't bend in any bad directions. Pain just low grade and located below and to the outside of the knee cap.....directly beside but not in the patellar tendon. No tearing sensations.

Twice since I've done things that gave me the same pain and re-aggravated it after it felt better. Got slammed on a backside barrel and the other got launched out onto the flats. Was never bad enough to end a session but enough to have pain on stairs or riding a bike. Each time after a couple of days it feels better. Last night rode a bike at the gym for 20 minutes and its fired up again today.

Anybody experience something like this? Did I just jam something? Meniscus? Just getting old and running out of cartilage?
Its not really bad enough for me to go to the Dr. Just don't want to finish it off or wreck it......thus I was on the bike at the gym trying to strengthen it.
All I can say is I used to get knee pain running long distances but when I started with the sandals that issue went away. Then this past winter I did a sprint/really fast one+ mile run on a rocky, hilly trail and my knee was hurting afterwards. It has lingered now for about five months. I used to do sprints on my 10k runs but I stopped doing that. Sprinting fully triggered it. Oddly enough deadlifting triggered it too. Because of that I figure it has something to do with where the hamstring muscle attaches to the knee.

Then, one day, before a long run, I took Advil and iced my knee and it didn't hurt and has been better since. Somehow broke the cycle.

Try figuring out what stretches hurt. Then ice your knee and do the stretches after icing. My knee would hurt doing hamstring stretches but if I did it after icing I cold get my normal range of motion. My knee seems better now (knock on wood).

ps bike won't strengthen it much. Get on the barbell program. Squats and deadlifts. I added barbell lunges. You can feel it in the knees and quads- two sets of ten (each leg) at 55lbs, 65 lbs and 75lbs

I have an ice pack like this-

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022
Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation for a few days then ease back into it. It’s better to nip an issue in the bud instead of pushing hard through it and potentially being out for a longer period.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Knee problems are usually cause by up or down stream restrictions or instability or weakness.

He who treats the pain sight is lost

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
It has helped me so much. I do alot of mobility work now in addition to my stretching.

Reactions: PRCD
Jul 8, 2008
There's a lot of info in recent years that goes against RICE for recovery on the notion that anti inflammatory meds and ice decrease the very mechanisms your body uses to assist in healing the problem.

Only opinion I could give is stay active with the knee but not to the point of pain. On a Sunday morning session I got rag dolled a few times, nothing out of the ordinary. By the afternoon my upper quad felt tight, no big deal. By the evening I was in severe pain, guessign I tore some muscle fibers up there. Took lots of slow walks with the dog Monday and Tuesday, felt way better. Decided to do some really, really light weight squats on Thursday..dumb. Back to square one. Should've stayed with the easy walks for just a little while longer.

From my experience not resting an injury (depending on the injury) and staying active helps, but also let the injury heal fully till you go all out. In my case not following that latter point has led to way more pain than needed.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
At some point an evaluation is important and possibly diagnostic tests and procedures. RICE is fine for maybe the first 24 to 48 hours max generally speaking. Early return to light activity is wise, and avoidance of early return to full activity is paramount. Re-injury is a bear and a surefire way to lead to a chronic or catastrophic problems.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How's the knee, Groms?

The KOT stuff is good. I even paid for the app for a few months mostly just to hold my self accountable. Still have some knee pain when I overdo it. For me I can't do more than two full on leg days per week. I've gained so much muscle in my lower body in the past 6 months doing mostly backwards sledding (built a ghetto tire sled that I pull around outside), tib raises, calf raises, step ups, split squats and nordics.

If I could only do one thing it'd be the forwards and backwards sledding. It just feels so good on my knees and there's very little injury risk. Plus I get some cardio out of it as well.

Reactions: PRCD and One-Off

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Its been an on and off sort of thing. Feels fine until I do something that makes it hurt again and then it hurts a few days. Tweaked it two more times since I started this thread. I've had a few good surfs in the mean time and I am just being extra careful.
I dunno why I didn’t think of it sooner, weed is tight? voodoo flossing is magic and Along with knees it rocks on elbows ankles calf’s and quads

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Knees over toes guy. Look at his content. Bullet proof your knees.
Seeing how he gave up on the doctors who were failing him, read the literature himself, and took himself from a cripple to a guy who can dunk matches my own experience with health care providers (HCPs) - their formal education gives them a lot of rote memorization and ability to take test but very little understanding. It makes me wonder what HCPs are good for beyond acute injuries like car accidents and the like. Everything else they do seems designed to run you through a monetization pipeline.

The best stuff out there is on this website:

Reactions: gbg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
At some point an evaluation is important and possibly diagnostic tests and procedures. RICE is fine for maybe the first 24 to 48 hours max generally speaking. Early return to light activity is wise, and avoidance of early return to full activity is paramount. Re-injury is a bear and a surefire way to lead to a chronic or catastrophic problems.
I thought ICE was out?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I heard that is messes up the healing process.

If you watch the video I linked, right after she says ice is useful , she says it limits swelling and acts as a "slight" anti inflammatory but it doesn't you don't stop the whole (healing) process either. She immediately goes on to say the important thing missing from RICE is movement, same as the guy in your video says. Also NSAIDS and corticosteroids are much worse than RICE in slowing the healing.

I like this channel. I finally found a video that addresses my recent knee issue- mcl pain. Or specifically lower hamstring tendinopathy. There is very little on the interwebs about non traumatic mcl injury (overuse). One thing I found out is, if I would have stopped to address the injury right after the pain manifested, I could have healed quicker. Instead people (like me ) that continue to train through the pain might end up in a 6-9, or even 12-18 month rehab. Also some things I have been doing , like hamstring stretches, can make it worse (I just learned how to time stamp videos I share)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka