Kauai Accident

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Travel hint.

Don't fly in helicopters unless it's necessary.

Don't fly in anything unless it's nessesary.

Thanks

Condolences.

Death touches everyone at some point.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
linemen are frigging beasts and heroes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Four crashes this year one crashed in the middle of a kailua neighborhood one near the arizona memorial by a bunch of tourists waiting for their boat,another in the middle of downtown. All were tour or utility use.Ed Case is right industry never is able to regulate itself when it comes to profits. $1.4 billion was spent by tourists here in November. Money talks while safety walks. During the volcano there were complaints from hilo side around the airport. A bunch of tourists got hurt by lava bombs when a tour boat went in too close so his paying clients could get the best pictures.

Like GMO, copter tours are already on the bad side of west side kauaiians, this is their "save maunakea" inititaive for Kauai "Protect the Paaka'i". Hawaii island has the mauna. Oahu has the wind turbines in Kahuku and Kauai has the salt ponds in Hanapepe.

The locals are fed up and revolting in their own irrevelant way.

swap meet sellers everywhere are profiting but Craig Neff and Born Hawaii in Wailua were the original vendors

ka.JPGpp.JPGnar.JPG

its always about the money
always is..

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Barking Sands (west side) is one of the premier bases in anti-missile R&D. If I said much more I'd have to kill you.

We did a helo tour there with Safari, if I remember correctly, back in the early 90's on our honeymoon. It was beautiful to see Na Pali and Waimea Canyon that way, but do it once, and no need to do it again. It was a bit spooky, and I could imagine getting in the wrong place during erratic winds could be sketchy as all hell. Those canyons are steep and winds do all kinds of crazy up/down drafting.Those tours are kinda like dodging lightning strikes. Odds are with you most times, but there's always that remote chance if conditions aren't perfect.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Was watching a helocopter crew do power line work a couple of weeks ago. Never seen it in person before. Holy Fuk that is nuts. How much do they pay the guy hanging from the chopper?
My dad's uncle died flying power lines back in the 60s

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
They have identified the pilot and 2 people. Pilot from here, mother and daughter from Wisconsin. The other family from Switzerland. So extremely sad.
And another person died doing a surf lesson in Poipu earlier in the week

Jun 29, 2017
Been living, surfing diving and hunting here 20 years. Kauai is absolutely one of most beautiful and deadly environments in world. From crazy ocean currents, surf, winds and ocean predators Kauai is still really raw and if you don't respect that and know your own limits Kauai can take you out. Ive never been in one and always visiting friends and family hat there are enough things to do here without jumping in a helo with a complete stranger. Having said that my friends and family can't believe some of the spots I paddle out to on sizable swells. Sad for these families!!

Reactions: john4surf

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I spent the last 14 years of my life involved in Military aviation maintenance in some way, shape, or form. I would never step foot in a tour helicopter unless my life depended on it.

Like someone else said, there's plenty to do on Kauai that you don't need to get on a helicopter.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I flew a military helicopter from Kuwait into Iraq. Bought 1 hour flight super close to the ground 200-500 ft and absolutely hauling in the Chinook at full speed. Was prob one of the scarier things I did on deployment and was clenching my asshole the entire flight.

Army helo pilots and flight crews are another level

Reactions: john4surf and afoaf

liquidmedium

OTF status
Jan 4, 2005
moku loa
The real tragedy......

is the constant harassment by tour helicopters on residents forced to listen to them, Safari and Paradise Helicoptors are the worst. Good riddance, rest in the hell they create.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i would assume that I (Or any other guy legitimately comfortable surfing waves of consequence on Kauai with no vest and no water patrol nearby) have a much higher chance of death by drowning, reef impact, sharks, heart attack, etc, that dying in a tour chopper. Does that assumption hold water, statistically? How many experienced lifelong surfers have died there over the last say 25 years? I’m not counting the tragic but different deaths of beginners with bad luck and/or judgement, or non surfers. There is some math involved but I wonder which is actually riskier. But again, the tour choppers scare me. Big-ish Kauai can be scary too but I crave that kind of scary . Not necessarily logical but the more I read on this thread from guys in the know, maybe that’s one thrill ride I can skip.

that’s it. Blade Seaplane only from here on out.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I went on a helicopter ride 30 years ago on the big island. Smoked a fatty before getting on and at one point the pilot turned on Pink floyd on the headphones. I thought "we are going to die" He was a bit of a daredevil- a former Nam vet.
It was an insanely beautiful experience seeing parts of the island we would never have seen, but I've never been in one since. My wife's cousin owns one in Guatemala. Always wants to take us to Belize in it. I'm good.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
What a sh*tty way to go out. :confused:

Only time on a helicopter was a tour of Kauai (on our honeymoon). We ended up getting the front seats next to the pilot and had great visibility and low wind. Figured I should quit while I was ahead and have no plans to board one again.

A friend from my wife's business community was killed in a crash in South America last year. They were in a big group and getting into two helicopters when apparently he noticed something he didnt like about the other helicopter his wife was getting into, so he told her to trade places with him and go in the helicopter he was orginially going to be in. Crazy bad luck because he got it the one he didnt want his wife in and it went down killing everyone while she watched in horror from the other heli. :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf and afoaf

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Hoe lee fuk that’s a tough one to carry the rest of your days