KALIFORNIA ..... OFICIALMENTE DONE!!!!

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
So you're saying your love for big government justifies your desire for concentration camps for the homeless?
I think its my love for the homeless that justifies my desire for the state of california to become a concentration camp

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Didn't Reagan free the mentally ill from being institutionalized in 1981 or something?
and then clinton gutted welfare and passed a huge crime bill which massively increased prison construction and eventually prison populations. he also expanded the death penalty and eliminated funding for prisoner education.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I'm no fan of Ronnie, but he gets a bad rap for this. In CA, deinstitution laws were passed in the 1960s, and a big ACLU case (Donaldson) in the '70s forced Reagan's hand.

Rising urban crime in the 1960s through the '80s got so bad that inner-city leaders were screaming for more cops and harsher jail sentences, which led to Clinton's (and later Bush's) crime bills, plus the rise of broken-windows policing. Urban crime fell rapidly in the '90s and 2000s, enabling massive investment and gentrification in the inner cities.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I'm no fan of Ronnie, but he gets a bad rap for this. In CA, deinstitution laws were passed in the 1960s, and a big ACLU case (Donaldson) in the '70s forced Reagan's hand.

Rising urban crime in the 1960s through the '80s got so bad that inner-city leaders were screaming for more cops and harsher jail sentences, which led to Clinton's (and later Bush's) crime bills, plus the rise of broken-windows policing. Urban crime fell rapidly in the '90s and 2000s, enabling massive investment and gentrification in the inner cities.
Bullseye!

That’s what happened.

That’s also what happened.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If you think I'm going to play hypotheticals with you, you're smoking crack.

I offered some facts, you and Caca offered nothing other than shooting every idea down. Boring.
Funny how you still can't answer the question. Most people would rather live on the coast than the valley. The coast is short on space.

Therefore, who decides who gets to live where? If there is not enough units available in their place of choice, where do they go?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Funny how you still can't answer the question. Most people would rather live on the coast than the valley. The coast is short on space.

Therefore, who decides who gets to live where? If there is not enough units available in their place of choice, where do they go?
Nobody said that they will have an infinite choice.

They have a choice between locations that are available, not ANY location. JFC

Your "question" is a strawman.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
You know what I would do? L.A. is full of empty luxury highrises that no one can afford. I'd Eminent Domain that sh!t, and rent them out for cheap, like maybe $500 for a studio, a bit more for larger units. They're mostly owned by predatory corporations and foreign nationals laundering their filthy money, so fuck those people.

That would probably drastically lower the homeless population right there, and free up resources to help the people who need/want it.

Then, after a reasonable amount of time, the people still running around stealing and setting fires, well, involuntary commitment wouldn't be so bad. I'm just as sick of them as the rest of you.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Asbury Park New Jersey - there's a little book about its history I bought there called "Asbury Parks Glory Days". It was, in the late 1800's, a great place with big houses but then as the Jersey Shore expanded South with the new Garden State Parkway everything that could go wrong for Asbury did. One of those things was Geraldo Rivera did an expose on mental institutions such as Willowbrook on Staten Island (which I helped renovate into the College of Staten Island). This led to letting a lot of people out of the institutions at a time when Asbury's real estate was cheap. People bought up the big old houses and used them as rooming houses for a lot of mentally ill people. It was one more nail into Asbury's coffin.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
id be all in on jefferson if we could axe southern oregon and maybe include marin as a state capital, buffer, tax base and make gnoss field the designated homeless shelter.
water wine redwood and weed about to get way dearer for all you thristy heathen southers

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Cant wait til the DMV employees start deciding who should be institutionalized,