KALIFORNIA ..... OFICIALMENTE DONE!!!!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
There are more homeless people on the coast in California because it's beautiful outside all year, I thought we all agreed on that already. If you lived sin techo, where would you go, montana?

As long as there is a homeless population, it will probably mostly live near the ocean. Can't blame them.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
surely 20 billion california dollars can solve it
Money could solve it but nobody wants to solve it, they just want to bitch about it and dish out blame.

The real solution is counterintuitive because the majority reaction to the homeless problem is anger. Spending money to home these people is the last thing anybody would want to do. It's easier to tell them to pull themselves by the bootstraps and do nothing. Sad.

Reactions: $kully

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Seems simple to me. Do a census on how many people live on the street. Build or buy facilities to accommodate this population and add 10-20%. Then pass laws that its illegal to live on the streets since there are free facilities to house these people. No drugs would be allowed so it would force the druggies to either clean up or get thrown in jail (since they would come back out on the street) and have a good detox in jail.

Then we would have these large populations in jails and homeless rehabilitation sites. These people would first be given some help with their mental problems and the ones who are still capable could be trained and employed to do many of the jobs farmed out to illegals. A "make our cities and towns beautiful again" coalition could be formed to target the areas needing improvement. Does a downtown area need painting and a comprehensive cleanup? Now you have a workforce who can do this. So the population who was causing the mess is now part of the cleanup and no longer contributing to the mess. They and all citizens of this area will begin to have pride for these areas and new things can be created like community gardens, full circle recycling and material organization, etc. The people who were looked down upon, will be seen as valued members of the community and will come to be appreciated by the general population. This will give those people who were once homeless, a new self worth and they will work towards getting back on their feet again.

I propose the national guard be the ones to implement the organization of this coalition. Train the people, empower them, pay them, and start a civil guard that will one day people will actually sign up to be part of because of the great things they do.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Seems simple to me. Do a census on how many people live on the street. Build or buy facilities to accommodate this population and add 10-20%. Then pass laws that its illegal to live on the streets since there are free facilities to house these people. No drugs would be allowed so it would force the druggies to either clean up or get thrown in jail (since they would come back out on the street) and have a good detox in jail.

Then we would have these large populations in jails and homeless rehabilitation sites. These people would first be given some help with their mental problems and the ones who are still capable could be trained and employed to do many of the jobs farmed out to illegals. A "make our cities and towns beautiful again" coalition could be formed to target the areas needing improvement. Does a downtown area need painting and a comprehensive cleanup? Now you have a workforce who can do this. So the population who was causing the mess is now part of the cleanup and no longer contributing to the mess. They and all citizens of this area will begin to have pride for these areas and new things can be created like community gardens, full circle recycling and material organization, etc. The people who were looked down upon, will be seen as valued members of the community and will come to be appreciated by the general population. This will give those people who were once homeless, a new self worth and they will work towards getting back on their feet again.

I propose the national guard be the ones to implement the organization of this coalition. Train the people, empower them, pay them, and start a civil guard that will one day people will actually sign up to be part of because of the great things they do.
Mass housing homeless people in shelters, where they can continue to live in the similar environment doesn't work. It's been tried.

I have a feeling that quite a few people would disagree about making it illegal to spend a night on the street. That would definitely be an unnecessary way to feed the prison industrial complex. And BTW that's been tried too.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Mass housing homeless people in shelters, where they can continue to live in the similar environment doesn't work. It's been tried.

I have a feeling that quite a few people would disagree about making it illegal to spend a night on the street. That would definitely be an unnecessary way to feed the prison industrial complex. And BTW that's been tried too.
Ok, so I see you pointing out problems but no providing solutions. I agree that my idea may be far fetched and not a good one.
Its easy to identify problems, the real challenge is devising solutions.

• Love

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
cultural observation being in SE Asia for a big chunk of my life

never see homeless (maybe the odd crazy one) or mentally disabled people

dont exist or just taken out

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Money could solve it but nobody wants to solve it, they just want to bitch about it and dish out blame.

The real solution is counterintuitive because the majority reaction to the homeless problem is anger. Spending money to home these people is the last thing anybody would want to do. It's easier to tell them to pull themselves by the bootstraps and do nothing. Sad.
have some compassion bro. all the $20/hr fast food jobs are already taken

• Haha

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
so voters have nothing to do with policies implemented? lol

View attachment 163817

Personally I love the street walkers. Really adds flavor to a neighborhood. Then again, I'm not a family man.

How are the street walkers up in Port Ordinary?
So if voting matters, why didnt you vote? Your coworker voted yes to homeless encampments and open sex markets. You could have voted no to those things but chose not to.

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I'm not super educated on how European countries deal with mental health and addiction cases but my impression is that there's a big social safety net in place to help people, and that engaging with that system isn't optional.

I've been on vacation in Europe for the last couple of weeks and have seen zero homeless. Somehow there's still people cruising around in BMW 7 series and Teslas so capitalism still at work?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
total bullshit. i travel to all of the major US cities all the time, and it's bad everywhere. philly, chicago, denver, houston, name a city over 1,000,000 and there will be tent cities, motorhomeless, and drugs everywhere downtown. california just gets the media coverage. it's been bad since way before the current governor.
Yet it wasn't anywhere near as bad in those cities with the exception of perhaps Chicago just a few short years ago.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
cultural observation being in SE Asia for a big chunk of my life

never see homeless (maybe the odd crazy one) or mentally disabled people

dont exist or just taken out
I noticed this walking around in Padang this year. Or at least I couldn't tell if someone was homeless or not. Other thing I noticed was how friendly the Indonesian people were in general, as well as the humor behind 12 year olds smoking in pool halls.

Reactions: Truth

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm not super educated on how European countries deal with mental health and addiction cases but my impression is that there's a big social safety net in place to help people, and that engaging with that system isn't optional.

I've been on vacation in Europe for the last couple of weeks and have seen zero homeless. Somehow there's still people cruising around in BMW 7 series and Teslas so capitalism still at work?
The entire environment is different in those countries.

People are more unified and neither the right or the left would ever give up the safety net.
Because it works for everybody.

I spent 3 months in Greece this year and for a country that went through bankruptcy and is still one of the poorest in the EU, I've seen zero homeless or mentally ill people roaming the streets. Not even in Athens.
Junkies yes but they seem to be contained in one area of the city.
There are definitely no tent cities.

People just give a sh!t about other people.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Ok, so I see you pointing out problems but no providing solutions. I agree that my idea may be far fetched and not a good one.
Its easy to identify problems, the real challenge is devising solutions.
I've offered solutions and I don't completely disagree with you.

We know for fact that shelter type housing, where homeless people are bunking together, just doesn't work.

We know that providing actual housing and individually tailored care works.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
newsome is about optics. period.

teachers are doing better than child care and elder care workers. who make minimum wage btw.

helping raise the standard of living of people who are actually grinding isnt nearly as sexy as "tackling" the homeless crisis.

still trying to wrap my head around why fast food workers became a special wage class in the state.
I think the government knows the fast food business model is collapsing due to high food prices and inflation and is giving it a nudge into collapse. :shrug:

There are more homeless people on the coast in California because it's beautiful outside all year, I thought we all agreed on that already. If you lived sin techo, where would you go, montana?

As long as there is a homeless population, it will probably mostly live near the ocean. Can't blame them.
There was a massive encampment where I lived north of the SF Bay. They interviewed some of the homeless and they said they didn't even know where they were - they were given a bus ticket here. Without them, the state would lose even more congressional seats than it already is.

I'm all for giving the addicts real help with their addiction, btw, but what we're doing isn't. Furthermore, the dealers must be shot.